• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoo in NY Daily News!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Good luck Mafoo but WTF will you do with $10K from Kenneth Cole???????????? Dress homeless people?
I dunno, it depends would you still give your loose change to homeless people dressed in kenneth cole? Every profession has their own style, and beggars are no exception.

brescd01

Reaction score
Most people are so full of **** when talk concerns money I am surprised anyone even reads this crap anymore. If I had a penny for everyone who said he turned down "a free ride to Princeton"... The same goes for cost and salaries. If someone's ego is stroked by amping the value of what he owns (perhaps to contrast with what he paid), he quotes a high "value." And salaries. Someone on eGullet has this fantasy that the average New Yorker makes substantially more money than the average Philadelphian, and that this difference outweighs the substantially higher cost of housing in NYC. And he used this to support the idea that certain restaurants are better in NYC (he may have been right about his last point).

The problem with mental masturbation like this is none of us REALLY knows what our neighbor makes/spent/received in scholarship unless he shows us his tax return/receipts/financial aid letter, and in the last case, as several people have pointed out, the practices of the universities have really changed over the past 20 years (as has their "tuition"), so even understanding the significance of financial aid offers is difficult. And there is absolutely no incentive, in fact every disincentive, to tell the truth. There is no difference between the bios published/facts revealed in the press/on the Net, and the "bios" I used to read in the college bathroom of the "college" women in Playboy.

Finally, people misrepresent a "moment" as the "steady state" (if you remember chemistry), when in fact, many people's impressive moments of earning/spending/saving/awards are actually points on a downward trajectory. G-d how I resent pseudonyms, reticence about prices, and secretiveness on sites like Style forum, actually the clothing fora might be the worst in this regard.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
Most people are so full of **** when talk concerns money I am surprised anyone even reads this crap anymore. If I had a penny for everyone who said he turned down "a free ride to Princeton"... The same goes for cost and salaries. If someone's ego is stroked by amping the value of what he owns (perhaps to contrast with what he paid), he quotes a high "value." And salaries. Someone on eGullet has this fantasy that the average New Yorker makes substantially more money than the average Philadelphian, and that this difference outweighs the substantially higher cost of housing in NYC. And he used this to support the idea that certain restaurants are better in NYC (he may have been right about his last point). The problem with mental masturbation like this is none of us REALLY knows what our neighbor makes/spent/received in scholarship unless he shows us his tax return/receipts/financial aid letter, and in the last case, as several people have pointed out, the practices of the universities have really changed over the past 20 years (as has their "tuition"), so even understanding the significance of financial aid offers is difficult. And there is absolutely no incentive, in fact every disincentive, to tell the truth. There is no difference between the bios published/facts revealed in the press/on the Net, and the "bios" I used to read in the college bathroom of the "college" women in Playboy. Finally, people misrepresent a "moment" as the "steady state" (if you remember chemistry), when in fact, many people's impressive moments of earning/spending/saving/awards are actually points on a downward trajectory. G-d how I resent pseudonyms, reticence about prices, and secretiveness on sites like Style forum, actually the clothing fora might be the worst in this regard.
Thank you. I know I feel better getting all that off my chest and I didn't even write it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
Most people are so full of **** when talk concerns money I am surprised anyone even reads this crap anymore. If I had a penny for everyone who said he turned down "a free ride to Princeton"... The same goes for cost and salaries. If someone's ego is stroked by amping the value of what he owns (perhaps to contrast with what he paid), he quotes a high "value." And salaries. Someone on eGullet has this fantasy that the average New Yorker makes substantially more money than the average Philadelphian, and that this difference outweighs the substantially higher cost of housing in NYC. And he used this to support the idea that certain restaurants are better in NYC (he may have been right about his last point).

The problem with mental masturbation like this is none of us REALLY knows what our neighbor makes/spent/received in scholarship unless he shows us his tax return/receipts/financial aid letter, and in the last case, as several people have pointed out, the practices of the universities have really changed over the past 20 years (as has their "tuition"), so even understanding the significance of financial aid offers is difficult. And there is absolutely no incentive, in fact every disincentive, to tell the truth. There is no difference between the bios published/facts revealed in the press/on the Net, and the "bios" I used to read in the college bathroom of the "college" women in Playboy.

Finally, people misrepresent a "moment" as the "steady state" (if you remember chemistry), when in fact, many people's impressive moments of earning/spending/saving/awards are actually points on a downward trajectory. G-d how I resent pseudonyms, reticence about prices, and secretiveness on sites like Style forum, actually the clothing fora might be the worst in this regard.

Wait, are calling me a liar? The OneShoe is real.

Low Budget

Reaction score

Refreshing! I fully agree.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But srs question now, and I know you've been ducking it, and I might be tempted to as well, at least until the contest is over, but just what are you planning to do with the $10K in KC stuff? I honestly don't know enough about KC to know if they make anything other than the pretty poor quality shoes and mall brand suits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
But srs question now, and I know you've been ducking it, and I might be tempted to as well, at least until the contest is over, but just what are you planning to do with the $10K in KC stuff? I honestly don't know enough about KC to know if they make anything other than the pretty poor quality shoes and mall brand suits.

Hmm, I don't really know. We're not filthy rich, so some extra cash would be nice if they'd allow it instead. If they don't, we have family members on my wife's side that could truly use some clothes. As others have pointed out, many don't have the luxury of being very picky about what they wear, and Kenneth Cole is highly valued by a lot of people. It's not like the prize is dirty rags or muffin bottoms.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm, I don't really know. We're not filthy rich, so some extra cash would be nice if they'd allow it instead. If they don't, we have family members on my wife's side that could truly use some clothes. As others have pointed out, many don't have the luxury of being very picky about what they wear, and Kenneth Cole is highly valued by a lot of people. It's not like the prize is dirty rags or muffin bottoms.

I believe the proper term is 'stumps'....

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
If you think SF is full of snarks and a$$holes you cannot even begin to imagine the type of people sitting in the corner offices at BigLaw firms.

Originally Posted by RJman
Am pretty sure there is some overlap
devil.gif

+1

All this chatter (most of it clueless) about Ivy athletic scholarships has been amusing. I can confirm from personal experience - no such thing. While recruited at several Ivies, it was never part of the conversation with any of the coaches. Help with admissions (if needed) is what the coach has to offer. Money/financial aid/scholarships (call it whatever you like) is a totally separate conversation with a different dept of the school and is need-based. I now do alumni interviews of high school seniors who have applied to my alma mater - some are recruited athletes - situation is still the same as when I went through it.

In my book, someone who says "I attended [any Ivy] on a [any sport] scholarship" = liar and total d-bag. I would also question whether that person really attended [any Ivy] at all.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this part:

"What is a style that you can't pull off?

I would love a cream linen suit! But it's so useless in this city. Where could I wear that? People at work would crack Colonel Sanders jokes."

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
+1 All this chatter (most of it clueless) about Ivy athletic scholarships has been amusing. I can confirm from personal experience - no such thing. While recruited at several Ivies, it was never part of the conversation with any of the coaches. Help with admissions (if needed) is what the coach has to offer. Money/financial aid/scholarships (call it whatever you like) is a totally separate conversation with a different dept of the school and is need-based. I now do alumni interviews of high school seniors who have applied to my alma mater - some are recruited athletes - situation is still the same as when I went through it. In my book, someone who says "I attended [any Ivy] on a [any sport] scholarship" = liar and total d-bag. I would also question whether that person really attended [any Ivy] at all.
My experience was different. I was not an athlete, but I knew several and I also had a work study job with several, except that they never showed up anywhere but on the payroll. Other examples were seven people on staff at a time in the weight room, but only the non-athlete was actually at the desk. The others were either not there, or were working out themselves. But my experience is more than twenty years old. I don't doubt you if you know it has tightened up, since.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If foo and this Dan guy are the only finalists, I'll guess Esquire and KC are looking for someone with web mojo. Otherwise I don't see what they have in common. Dan has his own blog where he pretends to be like Will of A Suitable Wardrobe. foo is a celebrity here at SF and (in a different way) at AAAC, and he's equally opinionated. Both these guys have web-ambassador potential.

But foo's story is much more compelling (e.g. short guy seeks out bespoke clothing because he's short, and not because he's vain; dresses like an old man, and not like an immature rock star; drops obscure names, and refuses to brag about the cost of his clothes). His presence would be refreshing in a publication like Esquire or GQ.

Dan's "style" is half-baked -- immature. E.g., telling everyone that 7" pant hems are required to look stylish, making a stand against plaid shorts. WTF. And his look is dated.

On the other hand, foo looks equally well-dressed among hipsters and church-goers. He seems like a much more plausible candidate for the distinction. You can imagine a congregation of elderly black ladies agreeing that he dresses well; he's much more obviously a near-universal role model for American men.

So it will be heart-warming when foo strides out to his booster chair to accept the award. Non-perfect men everywhere will have their sartorial Susan Boyle.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
I like this part: "What is a style that you can't pull off? I would love a cream linen suit! But it's so useless in this city. Where could I wear that? People at work would crack Colonel Sanders jokes."
If Colonel Sanders could only see the direction of his new chicken offerings, he would cry fowl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads