• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoo in NY Daily News!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Untitled-2copy.jpg

Wow. And I thought leaving a working sleeve button undone was arriviste!

In the interest of completeness, here is the complete prize list for the winner of Esquire's contest. I'm sure the losers will also receive lovely parting gifts.

America's Best Dressed Real Man-will be unveiled on NBC's Today show in September, and will receive a prize package worth over $30,000, which includes a Nivea for Men Work Smarter, Play Harder Bonus: $15,000 plus a year's supply of Nivea for Men products, a $10,000 wardrobe from Kenneth Cole and Esquire, a VIP trip for two to New York to attend a runway show during Fashion Week, and an IWC Schaffhausen watch.

Apart from the watch, which might be OK if he gets to pick, and the cash from Nivea, I cannot imagine a collection of prizes that would be less appealing to Foof.

rlx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
+1

All this chatter (most of it clueless) about Ivy athletic scholarships has been amusing. I can confirm from personal experience - no such thing. While recruited at several Ivies, it was never part of the conversation with any of the coaches. Help with admissions (if needed) is what the coach has to offer. Money/financial aid/scholarships (call it whatever you like) is a totally separate conversation with a different dept of the school and is need-based. I now do alumni interviews of high school seniors who have applied to my alma mater - some are recruited athletes - situation is still the same as when I went through it.

In my book, someone who says "I attended [any Ivy] on a [any sport] scholarship" = liar and total d-bag. I would also question whether that person really attended [any Ivy] at all.

This is absolutely correct. It was correct when I went to an Ivy League college 30+ years ago, and it continues to be correct today. My most recent experience was this past year when Harvard and Brown both were recruiting my son (who was also a National Merit Finalist) to play football.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlx
(who was also a National Merit Finalist)

Did you find that this impressed people? I was one too, but I'm not sure it made a difference for me. Anyway, I'm curious what your son's experience was.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
let's just conclude that Dan Trepanier is a douchebag

hope that searches up first in google.

So you no like it the Douche of Dan Trepanier?

rlx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Did you find that this impressed people? I was one too, but I'm not sure it made a difference for me. Anyway, I'm curious what your son's experience was.

I didn't mean to impress anyone -- sorry if it came off that way. I merely related that fact to indicate that he had academic credentials (including test scores and grades) in addition to athletic ability. The type of athlete that is sought after by the Ivies. Bottom line is he received no offer of financial aid -- scholarship, grant, subsidized loans, etc.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlx
I didn't mean to impress anyone -- sorry if it came off that way. I merely related that fact to indicate that he had academic credentials (including test scores and grades) in addition to athletic ability. The type of athlete that is sought after by the Ivies. Bottom line is he received no offer of financial aid -- scholarship, grant, subsidized loans, etc.

Sorry if it came off like I was attacking you of bragging, I wasn't - like I said, I was just curious what another NMF's experience was. I WISH it impressed more people- it damn well should.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I WISH it impressed more people- it damn well should.

Why? It's a high score on one test (PSAT) plus a little background check (essays, letters of rec, grades, etc.) to make sure your score was not a fluke.

As it is, it impresses mom & dad & admissions & recruiting people & scholarship sponsors. Is that not enough?

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It means that pretty things aren't necessarily things that wear elegantly.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Originally Posted by romafan
I believe the proper term is 'stumps'....

That was a great Seinfeld episode.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads