• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about BC/AD for you Christians

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't wait for the day when B.C.E. and C.E. is changed to B.P.C. and A.P.C.

I'm not sure, though, when the start date of Political Correctness will be declared.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
jesus is bad

I think he's irrelevant, but the point is, his birth is the 0,0 for the time line. All the PC folk have done is change two phrases, not the origin point. If Haysoos is bad, change the entire ******* calendar and have done with it.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I knew something fuuma didn't.
bigstar[1].gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So weird,,, I was just thinking about this very problem.

My question is, what was the "year" when jesus was born (ie "0") but relative to whatever counting system was currently in place. Was there one?
I assume that there must have been some sort of significant event that formed the basis for counting in the Roman world or earlier, anyone know what the "count" was at when jesus was born?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

My question is, what was the "year" when jesus was born (ie "0") but relative to whatever counting system was currently in place. Was there one?
I assume that there must have been some sort of significant event that formed the basis for counting in the Roman world or earlier, anyone know what the "count" was at when jesus was born?

I don't know if it was the only one, but certainly a common one was the accession of emperors leading to dates such as "the third year of the reign of Caesar Augustus," etc.

bradbury

Reaction score
they would also keep dates by using the guys who won the olympic race, the main event, at marathon. like they would say, it was fifty days after hercules won the race. each winner would be like a new year.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

1. There was no year zero. The number zero as a counting unit was not used in the western world until the Arabic numeric system was adopted in about the 11th century.

2. In the Roman world dates were measured based on the year of a particular Emperor's reign. For example, the 3rd year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius. The Jews had their own dating system which proposed to have begun at creation I believe (it is still used). Each country used its own system of dates which historians today have to try to match up using common events. The system we're talking about is the closest thing to a world-wide system of measuring dates that has ever been devised.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conventional dating system used by the Romans was "Ab Urbe Condita" (from the foundation of the city"--by Romulus). This is supposed to have occurred in 753 B.C.

The Jews frequently used "years of Abraham," which commenced in 2017 B.C., and this system was often used by early Christian chroniclers.

The monk who tried to determine the exact year of the birth of Christ (hence our "B.C./A.D") system was Dionysius Exiguus. He lived in the sixth century. He hailed from the Black Sea area but spent much of his career at Rome. He also devised a system for calculating the dates of Easter.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah... Jesus was real? So it wasn't my dad eating the milk and cookies?

John152

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

It's fairly certain that Jesus the person existed and the events that occurred are for the most part accurate, but whether he was the son of God is a point of contention.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John152
It's fairly certain that Jesus the person existed and the events that occurred are for the most part accurate, but whether he was the son of God is a point of contention.

Geez, I mentioned that it's pretty much an academic consensus that Jesus was historical on aother message board, and a woman ("religious studies" major, natch) went into a rage, claiming that there were only two or three experts in the field who believed so.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Geez, I mentioned that it's pretty much an academic consensus that Jesus was historical on aother message board, and a woman ("religious studies" major, natch) went into a rage, claiming that there were only two or three experts in the field who believed so.

I actually have no idea. I just like being a shithead.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

Not really much question that Jesus was a real person. This is from the Roman historian Tacitus (no friend of the Christians) writing about 60 years after Jesus death. In this passage he calls him Christus, the Latin version of the greek word Christ, but it is clear that it is the same person. This passage also gives a description of the Neroan persecution of Roman Christians in the early 60's AD.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
But not all the relief that could come from man, not all the bounties that the prince could bestow, nor all the atonements which could be presented to the gods, availed to relieve Nero from the infamy of being believed to have ordered the conflagration, the fire of Rome. Hence to suppress the rumor, he falsely charged with the guilt, and punished Christians, who were hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius: but the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think he's irrelevant, but the point is, his birth is the 0,0 for the time line. All the PC folk have done is change two phrases, not the origin point. If Haysoos is bad, change the entire ******* calendar and have done with it.

To me the funniest part is that you still have the "BC" in there in "BCE" just so nobody gets confused. It's like they wanted to change it, but not so much that it might totally screw everyone up.

Me, I keep things simple. We are in year 1, OE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads