Question about BC/AD for you Christians

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BrettChaotix, Aug 12, 2009.

1. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Maybe this is a dumb question, I never really gave it much thought until someone else in the office mentioned it in passing.

So, "BC" starts at Christ's birth and works backwards in time. "AD" starts at Christ's death and moves forward in time. It's generally agreed upon that Jesus died sometime in his 30's -40's right?

So, that leaves a few decades that are neither BC or AD, when he was alive. What's the term for this period of time?

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Maybe this is a dumb question, I never really gave it much thought until someone else in the office mentioned it in passing. So, "BC" starts at Christ's birth and works backwards in time. "AD" starts at Christ's death and moves forward in time. It's generally agreed upon that Jesus died sometime in his 30's -40's right? So, that leaves a few decades that are neither BC or AD, when he was alive. What's the term for this period of time?
    Shamefully retracted.

3. bradbury

bradbury Member

D doesn't start after the death of Christ because AD does not stand for After Death but Anno Domini (year of jesus christ)

4. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

D= Ammo Domini (the years of our lord IIRC) or some such thing, so Jesus died about 33 AD IIRC. Haven't been to church in about 7 years, however.

5. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

No, AD stands for Anno Domini, which is [after] the birth of Chris, means the year of the lord or something. Year 1 = AD, before that is before the birth of Christ = BC.

6. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

AD doesn't start after the death of Christ because AD does not stand for After Death but Anno Domini (year of jesus christ)

This. Theoretically, had it been calculated correctly (it wasn't), Jesus was born in 1 AD and 1 BC was the prior year (there never was a year zero). As he said AD doesn't stand for "After Death" It stands for Anno Domini ("The Year of Our Lord"). Every thing is measured from his birth.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

AD doesn't start after the death of Christ because AD does not stand for After Death but Anno Domini (year of jesus christ)
    You're right, I feel stoops. But it's still 1. I really fucked up on this one and I used to know that. Rest in peace moment (although it's a translation in this case). Anyway the point is that there is no flotation and yeah, the date is inexact, his anniversary is inexact but it doesn't matter, it's a point of reference not a historical fact.

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

To add to the confusion, for the first few centuries AD this dating system was not used. It was developed by a Catholic Monk in about the 7th or 8th century (could be wrong on this and too lazy to look it up).

This genius messed up the dating, but nobody figured it out until it was too late. As a consequence, Jesus actual date of birth is probably more like 3-6BC and his death more like 30 AD.

9. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

To add to the confusion, for the first few centuries AD this dating system was not used. It was developed by a Catholic Monk in about the 7th or 8th century (could be wrong on this and too lazy to look it up). This genius messed up the dating, but nobody figured it out until it was too late. As a consequence, Jesus actual date of birth is probably more like 3-6BC and his death more like 30 AD.
    That's what I was reading too

10. why

why Senior member

Why is this not in DT?

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

btw we use B.C.E. and C.E. now

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

btw we use B.C.E. and C.E. now

This completely makes me LOL.

13. Agnacious