• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

rockket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
What the **** are you talking about? I started with 65 lbs. for the military press. I press every other workout. I add 10 pounds every time I press.Nowhere did I say I started out pressing 10, or that I pressed 100 the next week.
yeah dude, this still does not make much sense the way you've stated it here. you're either doing too little weight to begin with, or the most incredible mesomorph in the world. unless you mean this ten pounds is somehow distributed between bench press, military press, etc.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rockket
yeah dude, this still does not make much sense the way you've stated it here. you're either doing too little weight to begin with, or the most incredible mesomorph in the world.

unless you mean this ten pounds is somehow distributed between bench press, military press, etc.

He is doing a beginner program that starts light to allow one to practice form while adding weight linearly every trip to the gym.

Noir.

Reaction score
Noir, I've been trying to gain weight, which has gone well. Unfortunately, I've also put on some narsty love handles (do not want). I'm 167 now and was 153 before I started lifting. I eat about 2500 cals/day (more on lifting days, less on rest days). My BMR would be a 1970 or so. I do starting strength, increasing all my lifts 10 lbs. per workout (that's bench press, military press, and cleans), except for squats (15 lbs./workout) and deadlifts (20 lb./workout). I never do much cardio other than biking to the gym and back (15 mins. each way). I would like to lose 7 lbs. of bodyfat in the next 3 weeks, which I think is pretty safe and reasonable. I'm planning to do so by cutting the diet to 1500 cals/day, cutting weight increase increments by 50%, and adding cardio 2-3x/week. Is that the best way to go about this? Also, once I'm done, how should I return to lifting & trying to get bigger (in terms of muscle) without putting the bodyfat right back on? Thanks.
If you're strength is still skyrocketing up, do that until it stalls. don't **** your beginner gains up because you think you might be getting a little pudgy. If you're worried about it, throw a bit of cardio (10-15m) at the end of your routines. Also, look where your kcals are coming from. If it's clean sources, with enough protein, it doesn't really make sense that you're visibly gaining bodyfat as a newbie with that intake.
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
He is doing a beginner program that starts light to allow one to practice form while adding weight linearly every trip to the gym.
This. Beginner gains = sickest **** ever. It only lasts a few months though, about 4 for me (weight-gain-wise. lifts slowed obviously much quicker).

bobyoung7

Reaction score
I'm 6'1" and around 260 lbs. I'm not sloppy fat, but I have a gut and a little more fat all around than I'd like to. I have a bad knee so running is out. What can I do to drop some serious weight. I'm not really sure what I should weigh. Thanks in advance.

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobyoung7
I'm 6'1" and around 260 lbs. I'm not sloppy fat, but I have a gut and a little more fat all around than I'd like to. I have a bad knee so running is out. What can I do to drop some serious weight. I'm not really sure what I should weigh. Thanks in advance.

180-220 depending on how much muscle you'd like to carry I think is reasonable. Bike, elliptical, stair-stepper are all reasonably low impact. Try a circuit-style weight routine followed by 30m of cardio 2-3x/week, up it to four after a month-ish, and after another month up the cardio to 40/45m and go from there. In addition to the obvious "eat well." Shoot for 2-2.5 lbs/week weight loss for now. Adjust diet/exercise accordingly.

bobyoung7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
180-220 depending on how much muscle you'd like to carry I think is reasonable. Bike, elliptical, stair-stepper are all reasonably low impact. Try a circuit-style weight routine followed by 30m of cardio 2-3x/week, up it to four after a month-ish, and after another month up the cardio to 40/45m and go from there. In addition to the obvious "eat well." Shoot for 2-2.5 lbs/week weight loss for now. Adjust diet/exercise accordingly.

Thanks for the quick and informative response. What do you think about swimming for cardio?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noir, I've been trying to gain weight, which has gone well. Unfortunately, I've also put on some narsty love handles (do not want). I'm 167 now and was 153 before I started lifting. I eat about 2500 cals/day (more on lifting days, less on rest days). My BMR would be a 1970 or so. I do starting strength, increasing all my lifts 10 lbs. per workout (that's bench press, military press, and cleans), except for squats (15 lbs./workout) and deadlifts (20 lb./workout). I never do much cardio other than biking to the gym and back (15 mins. each way). I would like to lose 7 lbs. of bodyfat in the next 3 weeks, which I think is pretty safe and reasonable. I'm planning to do so by cutting the diet to 1500 cals/day, cutting weight increase increments by 50%, and adding cardio 2-3x/week. Is that the best way to go about this? Also, once I'm done, how should I return to lifting & trying to get bigger (in terms of muscle) without putting the bodyfat right back on?

Thanks.

You're not doing starting strength. Read the book again about how to determine the starting weight and also the increments that Rippetoe recommends.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noir,

I'm working out 4 times a week but I'm not making the kind of progress that I want.

I had a personal trainer with whom I worked once or twice a week, but I feel that his program was better suited to someone in his twenties or thirties and I'm in my late 40s; the trainer was a great guy in his early 20s, and our workouts exclusively consisted of resistance training. Also, he couldn't provide me with a program to implement on my own - according to the club, the trainers' programs are corporate intellectual property.

My goal is to reduce my waistline a bit while increasing upper body strength - I don't have any illusions, but I'd like to make a noticable improvement. Otherwise, I am in good shape (or my internist says so). Right now I do about a 1-3/4 hours on the eliptical machine/week with 2-1/4 hours of various types of resistance training (bicep curls, back extensions, leg lifts, crunches, etc.).

Are there any books or online resources where I could tailor a suitable routine? I'm not sure that I want to go down the training route again because I feel that I didn't get a lot of "bang for my buck".

LD

Spaz

Reaction score
I been lifting for 2.5 year since 17 till now i am at the weight i like to be which is 180 i started at 148 now i was to add some mass and lean and tone up while getting big if that make any sense. can i get some of ur intake of what kind of stuff i should be doing...

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Are there any books or online resources where I could tailor a suitable routine? I'm not sure that I want to go down the training route again because I feel that I didn't get a lot of "bang for my buck".

Not to step on Noir's toes, but I believe the consistent advice in this thread is to do a '5x5' routine. Buy "Starting Strength" 2nd edition off Amazon, read Madcow's page, and the Stronglifts ebook.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-ebook-download/

Originally Posted by Spaz
I been lifting for 2.5 year since 17 till now i am at the weight i like to be which is 180 i started at 148 now i was to add some mass and lean and tone up while getting big if that make any sense. can i get some of ur intake of what kind of stuff i should be doing...

This doesn't make any ******* sense. Try again. Apologies if English is not your primary language.

Spaz

Reaction score
basically i want to lean and tone up and adding some mass on and trying to keep some body fat off

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaz

Toning up is all about diet. Getting big is all about diet and lifting heavy.

If you want to add muscle mass, eat a lot and lift heavy things for a while.

Then you can 'lean and tone up' which is simply the mainstream way of saying 'losing bodyfat without losing much lean muscle.' The way to achieve this by running at a caloric restriction (eat less) and increasing your activity level (move around more).

Suggestion: eat a lot and lift really heavy things (compound barbell lifts) for 2 to 3 months. then eat less while continuing to lift heavy things (you will be weaker of course) and maybe throw in some cardio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads