• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshack
I never wore uniqlo over this last year in Japan, because it's the most boring, ubiquitous stuff out there. Returning home to Portland, though, I feel like uniqlo flannels are going to become my campus go-to. They've got a great fit, layer easy, and top off raw denim nicely.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. lulz at this from your blog

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
wtf is this?

blackbird_hates_the_blue_angels.jpg

Yes, WTF, why would anyone hate the Blue Angels? Do they hate puppies and chocolate cake too? Sheesh.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate when girls that wear flip flops 364 days out of the year try to dispense fashion advice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Is traffic still around? That was a decent store though the owner was a moronic woman.

It was a decent store. Haven't been there in years now. The owner and buyers used to be well ahead of the curve though. Why the hate for the owner (Natalia, I think?)

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justtemple
i hate when girls that wear flip flops 364 days out of the year try to dispense fashion advice.

Big werd to this every time I see that I think lazy ass ***** can't even wear shoes, these are the type of women who get fat as they get older.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
It was a decent store. Haven't been there in years now. The owner and buyers used to be well ahead of the curve though. Why the hate for the owner (Natalia, I think?)

Her buys were good except the eurotrash that was always mixed in (never understood that one) but her prices were way too high more than anybody else including RH and barneys back then. I did try on a ridiculous viktor and rolf blazer in 05 ish? And a grail mcqueen blazer I should have copped with their weak sales.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Her buys were good except the eurotrash that was always mixed in (never understood that one) but her prices were way too high more than anybody else including RH and barneys back then. I did try on a ridiculous viktor and rolf blazer in 05 ish? And a grail mcqueen blazer I should have copped with their weak sales.

I wondered about this too until I saw some movie industry people come in and buy it in large quantities. The sales, at least when I used to go there, used to hit 50% on a regular basis. The retail was a little steeper than usual though, it's true.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
When I discovered this site, I bought a bunch of prep ****. Like Kunk, I admire the look but don't look great in it. I'm trying to get away from it but am having quite a time doing so. Random thought is, I guess, non-prep = hard (for me at least).

jaac

Reaction score
I hate how my city treats fashion as a whole. People actually consider mall brands decent clothing with no easy(read: free/non-shipped for as much as the items your ordering) access to the better brands. Cannot go out without seeing 500 douchebags in predistressed jeans with lime green/orange/aqua t-shirts covered in big white stencils. Anything that is decent quality is super inflated price wise, very very limited in selection and you get strange looks if your wearing something different.

The positive is that atleast it's not difficult to standout.

For summer im planning on going for looks similar to willy and ARW.
Interested to see how people react to me wearing boat shoes/db's.

super

Reaction score
canberra sucks. its the home of the john howard and now the kevin rudd. But hey, sydney is not much better either lol but there's incu.

Speaking of which, it's so good to shop online - but it still remains difficult with sizing for stuff that is not familiar... we need more innovative ways for people to size things!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
I hate how my city treats fashion as a whole. People actually consider mall brands decent clothing with no easy(read: free/non-shipped for as much as the items your ordering) access to the better brands. Cannot go out without seeing 500 douchebags in predistressed jeans with lime green/orange/aqua t-shirts covered in big white stencils. Anything that is decent quality is super inflated price wise, very very limited in selection and you get strange looks if your wearing something different. The positive is that atleast it's not difficult to standout. For summer im planning on going for looks similar to willy and ARW. Interested to see how people react to me wearing boat shoes/db's.
Fortunately I think Melbourne has some fantastic fashion sense, particularly around the brunswick st area. Having said that, it isn't free from the western mentalities of clothing, the day blue jeans are no longer the ubiquitous standard for guys when going out somewhere, I will dance with joy, naked in the street. To be honest mall brands to me are a necessary 'evil', if top quality clothes were readily accessible would they still be so highly regarded? There's also still a number of nice items at the mall, you just need to be more discerning, better at composing an outfit and willing to settle for something a bit more plain and of less quality.

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
To be honest mall brands to me are a necessary 'evil', if top quality clothes were readily accessible would they still be so highly regarded? There's also still a number of nice items at the mall, you just need to be more discerning, better at composing an outfit and willing to settle for something a bit more plain and of less quality.

Yeh, i agree pretty much exactly with this, its nice when your friends and workmates ask where you got an item of clothing or you can throw out a few different brands and not sound like a dick. Also if there wasn't an unlimited amount of predistressed denim dudes, it wouldn't be easy to stick out. I guess i just wish there was abit more of a balance.

@ super

yeh shopping online is where i get my clothes now but as you stated its pretty awful having to ask four times on a forum how a shirt fits. Not to mention footing an extra 30 bucks on a pair of jeans to have them fit wrong. Will kop big when i go to europe end of year.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

selling all my funkiest **** because what i like isn't necessarily what i should be wearing

yeah... I'm there too. Just consider that you and I are just getting it, and it's everybody else who has crappy taste.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another fashion thought: Buying online sucks, too many factors to do with fit that "Small, Medium, Large" doesn't help you with, truly you can't know for sure how the fabric will sit and work with your shoulders/chest/height and when getting opinions its relative to those people's body type, not yours. Measurements help this, but not everyone is so forthcoming with them and they can't take into consideration the thickness of the fabric and things like how straight or drooped the shoulder of a jacket is. Then you've got the lack of being able to feel the material and see its true colour (I've bought stuff online before where the actual colour has been a let down). It's convenient and cheaper for the business, but the cost comes at making it near impossible to get a 'perfect' fit (relative to what your definition of perfect is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads