• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Gordon Holt grows up

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...able+Resonance
I used ICR as shorthand. I don't measure inductance for a living so I wasn't trying to use L as in some equation. Some might confuse LCR as Left-Center-Right in any event as it is used in home theater mags.
You can't have it both ways. If you want to get into a technical discussion, then use the right terms. If you want to claim technical ignorance, then don't even try to start a technical discussion in the first place. I sincerely doubt anyone who knew what "LCR" implied about cables could ever confuse them with Left-Center-Right. As for the Cardas link, that was debunked the last time you posted it. If you've forgotten the details, I'd be happy to go over why it's bunk again. The basic problem is that Cardas does not link any of those measurements back to perception: he doesn't tell us how they affect how a cable sounds. Instead he just shows a bunch of pictures, and tells us which ones we should regard as scary. As for LCR being important, no one has disputed this because there is nothing to dispute. Interconnects should have low capacitance, and speaker cables should have low inductance, and reasonable capacitance. Both should have as low a resistance as is practical. Surprisingly, it is easy to screw this up, and many do. For example, Kimber 8TC speaker cable is designed for low inductance, but because of its geometry, it has significant capacitance, which may destabilize power amps (eg. cause to catch on fire or blow up speakers in certain cases). Kimber Hero has no reason for its existence. It is about as poor a cable design as one can make. --Andre

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
This is interesting, but not as interesting as why SGladwell/Sprezzatura2010 would lie.
You don't believe two guys owning the same two car models (including, in one case, the exact same car) , interested in the same things, involved with Jimmy C, linked by educational background, hating the same people and both posting on this forum could exist? You'll be shocked when the movie comes out labeled as a true story of friendship. Maybe they're conjoined twins.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You don't believe two guys owning the same two car models (including, in one case, the exact same car) , interested in the same things, involved with Jimmy C, linked by educational background, hating the same people and both posting on this forum could exist? You'll be shocked when the movie comes out labeled as a true story of friendship. Maybe they're conjoined twins.

Maybe. I was inclined to believeSprezzatura2010 when he said they are different but now I assume they are the same person. I am still struggling to give a ****.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Maybe. I was inclined to believeSprezzatura2010 when he said they are different but now I assume they are the same person. I am still struggling to give a ****.

They're obviously the same person, this sounds like the kind of excuse I'd use to buy some time to run away in case of unplanned paternity. I'm still wondering why he wanted to hide it, he's obviously not trolling but posting his opinions so it's fine to come back and do that...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're obviously the same person, this sounds like the kind of excuse I'd use to buy some time to run away in case of unplanned paternity. I'm still wondering why he wanted to hide it, he's obviously not trolling but posting his opinions so it's fine to come back and do that...

What excuse?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
You can't have it both ways. If you want to get into a technical discussion, then use the right terms. If you want to claim technical ignorance, then don't even try to start a technical discussion in the first place. I sincerely doubt anyone who knew what "LCR" implied about cables could ever confuse them with Left-Center-Right.

As for the Cardas link, that was debunked the last time you posted it. If you've forgotten the details, I'd be happy to go over why it's bunk again. The basic problem is that Cardas does not link any of those measurements back to perception: he doesn't tell us how they affect how a cable sounds. Instead he just shows a bunch of pictures, and tells us which ones we should regard as scary.

As for LCR being important, no one has disputed this because there is nothing to dispute. Interconnects should have low capacitance, and speaker cables should have low inductance, and reasonable capacitance. Both should have as low a resistance as is practical. Surprisingly, it is easy to screw this up, and many do.

For example, Kimber 8TC speaker cable is designed for low inductance, but because of its geometry, it has significant capacitance, which may destabilize power amps (eg. cause to catch on fire or blow up speakers in certain cases).

Kimber Hero has no reason for its existence. It is about as poor a cable design as one can make.

--Andre

Perhaps Kimber Hero is a great case to study. All audio reviewers have found this cable to sound excellent in terms of being very neutral. If you are right then a poor design would measure poorly. Does Hero measure poorly yet sound so good?

I personally have found Hero to be an excellent interconnect.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
This is interesting, but not as interesting as why SGladwell/Sprezzatura2010 would lie aout whether he/they are the same person.

Quite true, but its clearly obvious now that Glad and Spazz are the same person.

The LSAT class story is quite entertaining given that. Caught red handed and lying like an SOB.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
As for the Cardas link, that was debunked the last time you posted it. If you've forgotten the details, I'd be happy to go over why it's bunk again. The basic problem is that Cardas does not link any of those measurements back to perception: he doesn't tell us how they affect how a cable sounds. Instead he just shows a bunch of pictures, and tells us which ones we should regard as scary.

This is not much of a critique of Cardas as he travels around the country discussing how metrics link to sound quality differences.

Here are some interesting articles on that point:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ements+Matter?

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ow+Eddy+Copper

Some video on metrics versus his designs:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ce+%28video%29

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ng+%28video%29

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
^ So you admit you are a sockpuppet?

Are you blind or simply illiterate?

Looking back on his post I don't think he said that the Decap he posted was his. Just that he liked them. The DS I posted is mine.

And I don't "hate" anyone. It's the internet, for God's sake! My "forum enemies," as you put it, seem to be you and the deaf/illiterate guy.

The LSAT class story is quite entertaining given that. Caught red handed and lying like an SOB.

Hmm. I wonder what posting a copy of that bill of sale (or the title, showing transfer of ownership) would be worth...maybe I'll show it to the deaf/illiterate guy if he ever stops being a ***** and puts down a decent wager an ABX test on audio wires with me. I'll be back in ATL in late August. My hunch is that he'll continue to be a ***** about it, because he doesn't want to learn that the marketing copy he's been chasing is all built on sand. But the offer I made in the stereo thread still stands.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Spazzwell,

I'm done debating you since you cannot stop making personal attacks. You clearly have some mental issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads