• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are these?
28i6bdc.jpg
mim6g6.jpg
fxtgmv.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sky140885
Is this nice? Which color should i get?
btw, i'm tanned with black hair.
Or is there any other recommendations for sunglasses?

ray-ban-3386-sunglasses-004-71.jpg

ray-ban-3386-sunglasses-004-13.jpg

ray-ban-3386-sunglasses-006-71.jpg

ray-ban-3386-sunglasses-001-13.jpg

Personally I would say the second one. My wife has a slight tan with black hair and has the second ones. I wear them occasionally too and they seem to be a nice color.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sci-fi-o-hi-fi
Excuse my noobishness, but could someone tell me where I can get sunglasses lenses put into a pair of frames I have?
Simple, any optical. Walk in with them and tell them what you want. My suggestion, find out if they have a lab in the back. It shouldnt take them more than 15 minutes if they have machines in the back. If they need to send it out, just go to another place. Dont bother waiting a few days for it.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
I've been wanting a pair of aviators and figure the most economical route to go is with American Optical. They're $70 on their site and $50 here (http://www.opticsplanet.net/ao-eyewear.html).

Just wondering if there is a cheaper place to get them?
Do they carry them cheaper at army/navy surplus stores? I'll be in the NY area in a month so I could check out some places (can't find them up here in Canada). Thanks.

acconrad

Reaction score
Ok I got into a discussion with a friend and we need this settled...I tried search but couldn't find an answer:

The sunglasses that Maverick wears in Top Gun...are they made by Randolph Engineering or Ray Ban? Also, gold with GREY frames, correct?

For reference:
top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for dark tortoise or black framed ROUND sunglasses. Where to kop? I'd be willing to go vintage.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
Ok I got into a discussion with a friend and we need this settled...I tried search but couldn't find an answer:

The sunglasses that Maverick wears in Top Gun...are they made by Randolph Engineering or Ray Ban? Also, gold with GREY frames, correct?

For reference:
top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

rayban.

Xenos

Reaction score
In "Top Gun", I believe all the actors wore Ray-Bans. Cruise wore the Aviator; Val Kilmer wore the Outdoorsman, I think; Barry Tubb wore the Clubmaster; other actors wore black-framed Aviators; Aviators with mirrored lenses, etc. I bought my Aviators and Clubmasters after seeing that movie.

And to achieve the full "Top Gun" look, I figured out how to scrape that unsightly logo off the right lens. Straight razor does the job quite nicely.

darkie_one

Reaction score
I want Wayfarer-ish designed sunglasses, but not from Ray-Ban, that Common Projects look pretty good, what else anybody can recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads