• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits does one need?

J Darnielle

Reaction score
Roughly, for a job that requires wearing a suit every day? Let's assume that you will be seeing the same office crowd every day. I suppose that if you only visit with clients at random, you could only have one or two suits.

Thanks!
JD

Reaction score
Being in the death care industry, and meeting with several families everyday, I have found the need to have approx. 10 suits. Seven of them are the workhorses for the everyday use and the remaining are my very good suits for special events.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i would say if you need to wear suit regularly to work, practically 2 or 3 would work.

but you need to have a good order of sportcoats and trousers as well.

If you need to wear a suit to work everyday, how are sportcoats and trousers going to help?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for a decade or so, I got by with 3 suits. now I have 11, but I could get by with 8 - 4 light and 4 heavy

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As many you can afford...
I have 4 solid midnight blue , 3 navy blue pinstriped , 2 solid charcoal , 2 charcoal pinstriped, 1 black for funeral, 2 dark brown suits, 2 cream linen suits and one solid light grey for the summer...
I'm getting a flannel , a 1 button suit and my first double-breasted...
To start with a minimum of 5 covering monday to friday with worsted navy blue and charcoal as basis...The rest will come with your tastes evolving...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i would say if you need to wear suit regularly to work, practically 2 or 3 would work.

but you need to have a good order of sportcoats and trousers as well.

Originally Posted by iammatt
If you need to wear a suit to work everyday, how are sportcoats and trousers going to help?

Note Sho said "regularly." This does not mean necessarily every day, but could mean 3-4 times a week with a day for less formal attire.

cotler_bogart

Reaction score
IMHO, if its for everday work, a minimum of 8 to 10. It's true, you need enough to rotate as to maybe wear a suit 2 to 4 times a month max, if you want them to last, along with taking care of them.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figure on wearing at least three suits in a five-day week. If you live somewhere with four seasons, figure on dressing for three - winter, summer and spring/fall. That gives you a minimum of nine suits, none of which should be too memorable. Save the flash for when you have a bigger wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads