• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits does one need?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal, mid gray, navy, navy pinstripe, tan, 2 glens, windowpane, cream, rust stripe, powder bue or lilac stripe. All should be textured, minimal twills.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Solids are less memorable
The suit or the wearer?
My goal in life is to have the guts to wear the same outfit every day, plus/minus a few details/accesories.
Like Assante in Fatal Instinct?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
The suit or the wearer?

The suit is less memorable because people around you won't realize it's the same suit really. But with a patterned suit they will most likely notice after one day that you are wearing the same suit.

Like Assante in Fatal Instinct?
Never seen the movie, I'll put it on my Netflix queue. I could wear my charcoal suit with nailhead fabric, white shirt, black tie, white pocket square every day. Maybe maroon shoes if I really want to go wild.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is less memorable because people around you won't realize it's the same suit really. But with a patterned suit they will most likely notice after one day that you are wearing the same suit.

That's why you need at least 10.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isnt that a good thing though? You get to figure out who are the nosey, jealous, obsessed freaks and avoid them.
Never seen the movie, I'll put it on my Netflix queue. I could wear my charcoal suit with nailhead fabric, white shirt, black tie, white pocket square every day. Maybe maroon shoes if I really want to go wild.
If I could start over, I might pick a pattern or two and get them in large quantities, just to simplify my life. But I have learned that normal people only notice different suits if there is a lot of contrast. Like day 1 a tan suit, day two a glen plaid, day three a solid navy, day 4 a strong chalkie. However, I am convinced that I consider a lot of my navy and grey stripes so different, other people think Im wearing the same suit. On one memorable occasion, I wore a charcoal double breasted chalk stripe and then the next day, I wore a dark brown one; this woman I was working closely with was convinced it was the same suit.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Isnt that a good thing though? You get to figure out who are the nosey, jealous, obsessed freaks and avoid them.

Well for me it would be a good thing if that's what I'm going for. But for someone who doesn't wear many suits, it probably isn't the objective to be noticed as wearing the same outfit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fewer suits you have, the more simple they should be. Have 2 or 3 different shirt colors and patterns to wear with each to change your looks. It also depends on how many choices you want to have in your closet. Choose suit colors appropriate to your work environment. Don't get all dark colors that make you out to be too formal or too dressy if your office culture does not call for it. Get one pair of good black shoes and two pairs of brown.

FWIW, I think 14 suits is a good number to have.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My goal in life is to have the guts to wear the same outfit every day, plus/minus a few details/accesories.

me too

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Speaking of variations on the same, I know some who have the same cloth made up as DB and SB. I quite like the idea of staying with ones favourite cloth while having some variation this way.

that is my plan, when I have some clothes made up next year

8 suits

find four pieces of fabric, heavyweight charcoal and heavyweight midnight blue, lightweight charcoal and lightweight midnight blue.

then have a DB, a SB, 4 pair of pants and a waistcoat made out of each.

so, effectivly you have 8 suits

4 blue, 4 gray
4 light, 4 heavy
4 SB 4DB

lichmd

Reaction score
I started off with three suits:
One herringbone Navy SB, 2B, SV, 3 season 9oz LP
One charcoal SB, 2B, SV, 3 season 9oz LP
One charcoal chalkstripe, SB, 2B, 3 season 10oz Barberis
Then added as follows:
Midnight blue 3 season Oxxford
Navy red pinstripe Greenfield MTM
Charcoal flannel 13oz Greenfield MTM
Mid Grey blue windowpane 10oz Greenfield MTM
Mid Grey chalkstripe windowpane 9oz Barberis
Navy chalkstripe flannel 13oz
Light grey brown chalkstripe 13oz flannel
Medium blue Summer weight
Tan summer weight
and 5 odd blazers
I now add a suit or a blazer about every 10 months.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All my suits look very similar, but I do have different fabrics for different seasons. I actually prefer to have a similar look daily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads