• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most recent awkward moment

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't one particular moment, but just something that happens to me about 100x a day. I always respond to random small-talk the wrong way.

Waitress: Enjoy your meal!
Me: You too! (DURRR!)

Co-Worker walking past me in the hall: Hi, Fidel!
Me: I'm fine, how about you? (DURRR!)

Does this ever happen to anyone else? If someone else does this, do you think any less of them, or just ignore it and move on?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
This isn't one particular moment, but just something that happens to me about 100x a day. I always respond to random small-talk the wrong way.

Waitress: Enjoy your meal!
Me: You too! (DURRR!)

Co-Worker walking past me in the hall: Hi, Fidel!
Me: I'm fine, how about you? (DURRR!)

Does this ever happen to anyone else? If someone else does this, do you think any less of them, or just ignore it and move on?

I also do this quite often.

Especially the waitress thing. I seem to do it quite more often than I see others doing it. Honestly, I thought I was the only one. Glad to see I have company.
cheers.gif

truestorytravis

Reaction score
This was a while ago, but it was easily the most awkward moment of my life.

I went to see Everclear with my then girlfriend whom I had been dating for about 9 months. They played their cover of Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl. During the chorus of this song I turned to my gf to sing to her and changed the lyrics from "brown eyed girl" to "blue eyed girl." My girlfriend then says to me, "Nice try, but my eyes are green."

My heart sank into my feet as I scrambled to come up with an appropriate response. All I could come up with was, "What?! Nuh uh!" I actually argued with her about the color of her eyes for several minutes.

To this day, I cringe when I hear that song.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truestorytravis
This was a while ago, but it was easily the most awkward moment of my life. I went to see Everclear with my then girlfriend whom I had been dating for about 9 months. They played their cover of Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl. During the chorus of this song I turned to my gf to sing to her and changed the lyrics from "brown eyed girl" to "blue eyed girl." My girlfriend then says to me, "Nice try, but my eyes are green." My heart sank into my feet as I scrambled to come up with an appropriate response. All I could come up with was, "What?! Nuh uh!" I actually argued with her about the color of her eyes for several minutes. To this day, I cringe when I hear that song.
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
That's hysterical! I feel your pain. I've also had moments where I panicked and decided to make marsupialed non-nonsensical arguments to save face... it's never once worked, but that doesn't stop me from using in a pinch.

KBW

Reaction score
Yesterday I was pulling into my new gf's house right when my ex-gf and her father were walking by (we broke up last week but are still talking)...what makes it really awkward is that i was on the phone with my ex about ten minutes earlier telling her I was about to take a nap and I do some work for her father and he always jokes around with me about what is going to happen after I marry his daughter. I want to get back together and I talked to her last night...she weirdly didn't even mention seeing me when I drive a black range rover with black rims....kinda obvious when I turn 20 feet from where they are walking towards me that it is my car as nobody in my town has a car that looks remotely like mine. I have to break up with my new gf which is a low move but I dated my ex for 3 years and she wants back together.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you broke up with your ex a week ago and already have a new gf? and you guys were going out for 3 years? talk about a rebound. and now youre getting back with her just because she wants to?

remn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
and now youre getting back with her just because she wants to?

Originally Posted by KBW
I do some work for her father and he always jokes around with me about what is going to happen after I marry his daughter. I want to get back together and I talked to her last night...she weirdly didn't even mention seeing me when I drive a black range rover with black rims

^^

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to revive this thread. I was a last minute volunteer at a fundraiser dinner yesterday night. During dinner, I decided to sit outside at the table where they were selling tickets with a few other volunteers. The waiters had bought me my food, but I didn't have any cutlery. So I walked into the hall, and saw all the waiters in their black pants and plain white shirts milling around serving people their salads. I flagged down the nearest first person I could and asked him for a fork and knife. 2 seconds after I said it I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest who happened to be wearing a white shirt and black dress pants who walking back to his own seat.
shog[1].gif
Luckily he didn't get offended, he was just perplexed. I akwardly said "oh, nevermind, I'll ask that guy" and moved on quickly.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I was waiting for my gf outside her class building today. A girl comes up to me and asks me if I'm waiting for anybody. I ask her why, she says she's seen me waiting around a couple of times and that I'm quite good looking, so she was wondering... if I like girls, and if I do, was I interested in her. I laughed and told her I thought in China, men might be free to wear nice clothes without being assumed gay, and that I was waiting for my girlfriend. She smiled awkwardly and said "that's too bad" and walked off.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just wanted to revive this thread. I was a last minute volunteer at a fundraiser dinner yesterday night. During dinner, I decided to sit outside at the table where they were selling tickets with a few other volunteers. The waiters had bought me my food, but I didn't have any cutlery. So I walked into the hall, and saw all the waiters in their black pants and plain white shirts milling around serving people their salads. I flagged down the nearest first person I could and asked him for a fork and knife. 2 seconds after I said it I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest who happened to be wearing a white shirt and black dress pants who walking back to his own seat.
shog[1].gif
Luckily he didn't get offended, he was just perplexed. I akwardly said "oh, nevermind, I'll ask that guy" and moved on quickly.

I get this all the time in stores if I'm wearing a suit or just a tie. ****, this happened to me yesterday and I was wearing a t-shirt and chinos. I don't get it. Maybe everywhere I go people just assume I'm the boss. I just say "I'm not sure, you should probably ask someone who works here."

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I was waiting for my gf outside her class building today. A girl comes up to me and asks me if I'm waiting for anybody. I ask her why, she says she's seen me waiting around a couple of times and that I'm quite good looking, so she was wondering... if I like girls, and if I do, was I interested in her. I laughed and told her I thought in China, men might be free to wear nice clothes without being assumed gay, and that I was waiting for my girlfriend. She smiled awkwardly and said "that's too bad" and walked off.
Did this transpire in Chinese or English?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I didn't know men are called "girls" in Korea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads