• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

illeagle

Reaction score
Just got these two Turnbull & Asser shirts off eBay for a total of about $28 shipped:

!BRji6pwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBJ-l6yd!qQ~~_1.JPG
7620_1.JPG
ea1f_1.JPG
b5c1_1.JPG

Taking a bit of a risk there because the seller has 0 feedback and is in Canada, but worth the risk considering if they're legit I get a couple great shirts for less than $30 total. I also lost out on another one by the same seller because my sniper program messed up.

Also got these off eBay this morning...hopefully they clean up easily and fit nicely (worried they might be too big... 11E for Brooks Bros fits well, these are 12D..any opinions?):

c1bc_1.JPG
ca88_1.JPG

Also got a Pal Zileri jacket for $13 shipped from parisvegas a few days ago...pictures are down though

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
Just got these two Turnbull & Asser shirts off eBay for a total of about $28 shipped:

Taking a bit of a risk there because the seller has 0 feedback and is in Canada, but worth the risk considering if they're legit I get a couple great shirts for less than $30 total. I also lost out on another one by the same seller because my sniper program messed up.

Also got these off eBay this morning...hopefully they clean up easily and fit nicely (worried they might be too big... 11E for Brooks Bros fits well, these are 12D..any opinions?):

Also got a Pal Zileri jacket for $13 shipped from parisvegas a few days ago...pictures are down though

Shirts look good. If the shoes are too big I don't think you'll have a problem re-selling them, infact PM me
smile.gif

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Shirts look good. If the shoes are too big I don't think you'll have a problem re-selling them, infact PM me
smile.gif

Thanks. Yeah, I figured when I made a snap decision to buy the shoes this morning I'd have no problem re-selling... just will be a shame because these shoes are the exact reason I had "peal" as a saved search on eBay. You can get first dibs if they don't work out for me.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Found a Brioni DB jacket that is an off white color. And 2 pair of Zanella pants.
Will post pics of the Brioni once I get my camera going.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Is Pal Zileri worth it?
Like TexasJack stated, they're more fashion-oriented than Canali and the like, thus they appear dated much quicker. If you can find a nice piece that is pretty recent Ziliri is great. Their "Pull" diffusion line, though is complete garbage. I found a few jackets from the "Pull" line at a garage sale and passed on them for $3. Their Sartoriale line, on the other hand is amazing from what I've heard. Antirabbit found a couple jackets from this line and said they're quite nice. As for me, I've had a decent day. I found two navy Polo RL by Corneliani blazers. Both 3 button with brown buttons. One is a wool/cashmere blend and is a peak lapel with a ticket pocket. The other is a standard notch lapel with two flap pockets. Really nice, both look recent too.I sold two jackets in the B/S forum a couple weeks back from this same donor (must have dropped off a new batch this past week). He took great care of his clothing and they look barely worn. However, I'm very irritated at the clothing people at the main center, though. I looked through the trousers rack today to find four Polo RL by Corneliani suit trousers. The fabrics were beautiful, but they were separated from the jackets and the jackets were probably sent off to another store or were bought already. I'm pretty sure they were suit trousers, as they had the suit size (44R) on the tag under the waistband. Ugh - honestly, how hard is it to hand two matching pieces together. I understand that they're rehab patients who really couldn't give a rat's ass about matching a suit, but is it that much harder to hang a suit jacket on a suit hanger with the pants than staple another tag on the pants and hang them separately from the jacket. /Rant

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Is Pal Zileri worth it?

Often yes. The higher grade, Sartoriale, almost always.

It's not discussed much on the board only because the label doesn't get much play in North America.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku

However, I'm very irritated at the clothing people at the main center, though. I looked through the trousers rack today to find four Polo RL by Corneliani suit trousers. The fabrics were beautiful, but they were separated from the jackets and the jackets were probably sent off to another store or were bought already. I'm pretty sure they were suit trousers, as they had the suit size (44R) on the tag under the waistband. Ugh - honestly, how hard is it to hand two matching pieces together. I understand that they're rehab patients who really couldn't give a rat's ass about matching a suit, but is it that much harder to hang a suit jacket on a suit hanger with the pants than staple another tag on the pants and hang them separately from the jacket.

/Rant

Don't get me started. I've spoken to a few workers at various thrift stores and asked if anything can be done to pay closer attention to matching suit pants and jackets. The typical response is that they tag 'em how they see 'em. Meaning, if the pants aren't right there with the jacket when they hoist the jacket out of the garbage bag then forget it. They're not about to rummage around the bag to find matching pants. It's a shame yes, but so are urine stains and moth holes. Such is the nature of the beast. But, once I did find those matching pants to the Oxxford suit jacket at different locations of the same chain. So the impossible is possible.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also found a black Battistoni cotton/linen summer sport jacket. I've never come across Battistoni before except for a cool tie. Me likey.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found three Huntsman shirts - all herringbone - two French Cuff and one with an interesting double-button cuff that I can't quite figure out -- is it meant to be worn with cufflinks if so desired? And why are two of the shirt labels the same but the other is different? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some pics (note the pattern matching across the split yoke)
DSCN1411.jpg
DSCN1402.jpg
DSCN1403.jpg
DSCN1404.jpg
DSCN1407.jpg
DSCN1409.jpg
DSCN1410.jpg
DSCN1415.jpg
DSCN1416.jpg

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Found three Huntsman shirts - all herringbone - two French Cuff and one with an interesting double-button cuff that I can't quite figure out -- is it meant to be worn with cufflinks if so desired? And why are two of the shirt labels the same but the other is different? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some pics (note the pattern matching across the split yoke)
DSCN1411.jpg
DSCN1402.jpg
DSCN1403.jpg
DSCN1404.jpg
DSCN1407.jpg
DSCN1409.jpg
DSCN1410.jpg
DSCN1415.jpg
DSCN1416.jpg

Nice shirts! Never seen that cuff situation before. Is anyone else wondering how the hell we're finding this stuff amidst the ebay parasites? Have we scared them underground?

mike540

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle

!BRji6pwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBJ-l6yd!qQ~~_1.JPG
7620_1.JPG
ea1f_1.JPG
b5c1_1.JPG

Taking a bit of a risk there because the seller has 0 feedback and is in Canada, but worth the risk considering if they're legit I get a couple great shirts for less than $30 total.

Great shirts, I saw them too and thought about bidding on them but they're a little big for me. That seller had a bunch of other great stuff too. Enough so I added them to my favourite sellers to keep an eye on them.

Had a pretty good week thrifting. A US made RL polo, Zegna Sport polo, a cool Boss sweater/blazer thing, Zegna mainline SC and another Brioni SC. Out of the 4 Brioni's I've found recently this one fits perfectly with the exception of the sleeves being about a 1/4 inch short. It has working cuffs but plenty of extra material so I think it will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members