• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker Black

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Comments on the leather quality?

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
Sale runs for a week in NYC

Barker Black this Tuesday through next Wednesday, 3/18, for 50% off dress shoes.

Barker Black - 198 B Elizabeth St between Prince & Spring - 212-966-2166

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaygatsby28
Sale runs for a week in NYC

Barker Black this Tuesday through next Wednesday, 3/18, for 50% off dress shoes.

Barker Black - 198 B Elizabeth St between Prince & Spring - 212-966-2166

I stopped by today. Prices are certainly not spectacular at $400-$500/pair. Though they are beautiful shoes.

Having said that, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up two pairs of "wear tests" (shoes worn for about one week, by the Barker Black guy) as they happened to be the right size. At $100/apiece, they were an absolute steal.

Dan

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Comments on the leather quality?

leather is nice and the finish is nicer
worship.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dare-
For a little more you could buy EG, or for a little less, C&J handgrades. Both are much better made.
do C&J and EG have modern styles?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
do C&J and EG have modern styles?

Modern is in the eyes of the beholder. Any pics of what you think is modern styling?

EG
eg_rlpl_grant_888_burntpine_aportnoy.jpg

C&J
elvaston_11b_-_face2_(1).jpg

Ochowie

Reaction score
I hit up the sample sale today and came away with two pairs of shoes. I bought the Motto monk strap in an awesome antiqued "burnt acorn" and a pair of the pewter loafers. This is my first two pairs of their shoes and I really like them. Now if only their trees weren't so damn expensive.

jcc123

Reaction score
Stopped by today and bought 2 pairs. One cap toe in black and one in chestnut. Both are fabulous looking with the slight bump in the front. I really like the design.

One thing I found weird is that many of their lasts have fat ankles. So if you have narrow ankles you may have problems with your heel slipping in many of their shoes.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Modern is in the eyes of the beholder. Any pics of what you think is modern styling?

C&J
elvaston_11b_-_face2_(1).jpg

I like the C&J better.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few things... 1> Damn. I'm going to NY on the 20th.. was hoping to hit the shop and see if there was a sale. Looks like I'm going to miss it
frown.gif
2> Someone compared them to Barkers above... I don't believe they are related. Maybe I'm wrong... anybody? 3> I think the skull broguing is subtle enough that they will not go out of style. 4> They are pretty well made, but NOT ALL are goodyear welted. Some are blake stitched, and those are much less expensive. I have seen the blake models at NM for $300 or so. 5> The leather is pretty nice. I'm probably going to take some flack for this, but the shoe dept. at Chicago Saks has Weston, EG, Barker Black, Bally, Tramezza/Zegna Couture, Testoni, and Church's. I would rank the leather in that order... but I'm not an expert.

PL92106

Reaction score
Happy with my Wolfe suede loafers. Not as nice as some other shoes I have, but not a bad shoe if you buy at deep discount. I only wear them like once every two months, but always get complements on the subtle details like the bones on top. They give me an excuse to be a hillbilly and sit at my desk reading things while rudely putting my feet up. People who walk in are thrown by the Jolly Roger nailed into the soles. As you can tell, I'm focusing on the aesthetic qualities. The suede is decent and they are decently made. Would I pay 80% of retail? No, but at 50% or more off retail, they are a goof buy.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the skulls on the toe medallions or sole waist. I don't like skulls of any kind on my clothing and for this reason I would never buy a pair of Barker Blacks at any price. Last time I checked, the skull is still a symbol of death and why any company would use the death head as their logo can only lead me to conclude that there are avid devil worshippers in the world that want to identify with one another. Does this mean that someone who owns a pair of Barker Blacks is a devil worshipper or occult member of sorts? I don't know, you tell me. Maybe a poll? At the very least the use of the skull is rather tacky and childish looking. I wouldn't be suprised if those opposed to my views will run out and buy a pair just to spite me, but that's fine.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads