1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Barker Black

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoes22, Jun 5, 2006.

1. shoes22

shoes22 Well-Known Member

What is everyone's opinion on the Barker Black brand's quality? I like the shoe with the brown suede and leather combo. Has anyone seen them in person? Thanks in advance for advice.

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

No gimmicks and too pricey seemed to be the opinion. Someone just got a brand new pair of stunning spectators from them and will give a big thumbs up.I do like this particular model with the brown suede and calf you refer to.
    Funny i was just at their (incomplete) website.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've seen them. Too pricey for a novelty item, in my book. I wonder how many people will still be wearing them in, say, three years?

4. kronik

kronik Senior member

I have a pair of 2-eyelet chukka types in acorn (similar to chestnut) with dark brown antiquing on the toe. My first truly expensive pair of shoes at 700. I barely wear them and while they are probably not at the level of EG or JL, they are gorgeous and I'd probably buy them again.

I'll post pics if I ever get a decent camera.

I was actually going to post about this about a week or so ago.. to see if anyone else had any experience with the actual shoe, not just pictures on the internet or hearsay.

Edit: There's nothing about them that says "Barker Black" either, except the skull and crossbones in the sole of the shoe.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Edit: There's nothing about them that says "Barker Black" either, except the skull and crossbones in the sole of the shoe.

Definitely the best kind, I think. I've only seen ones with the skull broguing.

6. dare-

dare- Senior member

For a little more you could buy EG, or for a little less, C&J handgrades. Both are much better made.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

FWIW, if anyone lives in the NYC area, the flagship Sak's Fifth Avenue stocks Barker Black. Considering the Edward Green Inverness 888 in acorn was discounted to the same price as the Barker Blacks, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out where my money would be spent. Irrespective of price, Barker has one, if not the best, fashion oriented shoe on the market. The construction is good albeit not fantastic. You might consider them to be the English equivalent of Berluti/StefanoBi--nice, but nowhere close to the traditional cordwainers at equal or even, lesser, pricing.

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've just seen my first pairs of "˜Barker Black' (Harrods has just begun to stock them).

They are nicely (but not exceptionally well) made, on somewhat uninspiring lasts. As with other designer goods, you pay for the quirky designs.
    It's up to you, whether you consider the design features to be worth the premium.

The lace-up shoes retail at GBP 450.00 which is, in terms of price, Edward Green territory.

9. Swann

Swann Senior member

Are Barker Black shoes blake constructed or welted?

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

11. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I’ve just seen my first pairs of ‘Barker Black’ (Harrods has just begun to stock them). They are nicely (but not exceptionally well) made, on somewhat uninspiring lasts. As with other designer goods, you pay for the quirky designs. It’s up to you, whether you consider the design features to be worth the premium. The lace-up shoes retail at GBP 450.00 which is, in terms of price, Edward Green territory.
    Rolf, Good to hear your opinion on them - this topic has come up a bunch of times and every time people weigh in bashing the construction, which seems OK to me. I've looked at the shoes in person (and seriously considered buying them). They are decently made shoes. As you say, you buy them for the design - and that is worthwhile in some cases and less so in others. While I agree that the lasts aren't perfect and the styles may not be to everyone's taste, I am getting tired of hearing folks say that the shoes themselves are terribly made.

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Rolf,

Good to hear your opinion on them - this topic has come up a bunch of times and every time people weigh in bashing the construction, which seems OK to me. I've looked at the shoes in person (and seriously considered buying them). They are decently made shoes. As you say, you buy them for the design - and that is worthwhile in some cases and less so in others.

While I agree that the lasts aren't perfect and the styles may not be to everyone's taste, I am getting tired of hearing folks say that the shoes themselves are terribly made.

I've seen them too - for Canadians on the board, Richard Kidd in Vancouver carries them. They remind me of Tricker's in terms of last shape and construction - not especially beautiful but generally well made - although it may have been because balmoral boots were prominently featured. The price up here was around $1,000 Cdn.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Discounted pairs may start showing up at Saks Off 5th soon. I've been seeing Barker Black ties, I believe from last Fall's collection, at SOF for about a month.

14. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

It's obviously best to compare them to other shoes in person, but I'll chime in for some vicarious thrills. They're put together far better than regular Barkers (I have a pair of Barker International-line Jarvis). They are somewhere between Church's and Lobb in terms of construction and material. Their full linings are almost as soft as Lobbs. They are Goodyear welted and have a slim layer of leather on the sole that covers the stitching. They don't have beveled waists. You will, however, find nice little well-planned details (for example, look closely at the lacing). Mine broke in very quickly and are pretty comfortable. In person, they're not as gimmicky as some would expect (you pretty much have to point out the memento mori details. Perhaps it's just that this pair is so eye-catching, but they really do garner many compliments. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

thinman, wwhich off 5th carries the ties thanx

16. j

j Senior member Admin

Comments on the leather quality?

17. Jaygatsby28

Jaygatsby28 Senior member

Sale runs for a week in NYC

Barker Black this Tuesday through next Wednesday, 3/18, for 50% off dress shoes.

Barker Black - 198 B Elizabeth St between Prince & Spring - 212-966-2166

18. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Sale runs for a week in NYC

Barker Black this Tuesday through next Wednesday, 3/18, for 50% off dress shoes.

Barker Black - 198 B Elizabeth St between Prince & Spring - 212-966-2166

I stopped by today. Prices are certainly not spectacular at $400-$500/pair. Though they are beautiful shoes.

Having said that, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up two pairs of "wear tests" (shoes worn for about one week, by the Barker Black guy) as they happened to be the right size. At $100/apiece, they were an absolute steal.

Dan

19. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Comments on the leather quality?

leather is nice and the finish is nicer[​IMG]

20. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

For a little more you could buy EG, or for a little less, C&J handgrades. Both are much better made.
    do C&J and EG have modern styles?