• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally set up a pretty good computer sound system for myself: Macbook Pro -> Audio Synthesis Passion -> Acurus A150 -> Aerial 5. Random assortment of cables: DIY Canare, Kimber 4TC, and Radio Shack. The speakers are on their own dedicated stands a few feet behind the desk.

I am half-tempted by the Ayre QB-9 DAC when that comes out, but it is a bit pricey.

--Andre

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Looking to get a new set of surrond sound, as I just got my new reciever and am rebuilding my theatre room set up.

I ahve the denon 3808ci reciever, and am going abck and forth with speaker set ups.. B&W or Paradigm are what I am looking at.

I have sourced a great price on paradigm monitor 7's but am hesitant in the fact it is a budget speaker. any advice is apprecaited.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
I have sourced a great price on paradigm monitor 7's but am hesitant in the fact it is a budget speaker. any advice is apprecaited.

Paradigms are good speakers, but since every speaker is an exercise in compromise, their particular set of compromises may not suit your tastes. B&W and Paradigm are pretty different sounding speakers, and an audition of both is the only way to tell which one is right for you.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Finally set up a pretty good computer sound system for myself: Macbook Pro -> Audio Synthesis Passion -> Acurus A150 -> Aerial 5. Random assortment of cables: DIY Canare, Kimber 4TC, and Radio Shack. The speakers are on their own dedicated stands a few feet behind the desk.

I am half-tempted by the Ayre QB-9 DAC when that comes out, but it is a bit pricey.

--Andre

What brand of cups are you using? Dixie?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
What brand of cups are you using? Dixie?

Cups don't add enough value to my system. My cables are covered by sheaths of transparent catmere.

--Andre

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Monitor 11 V.05 Front ones (R L)
Monitor CC290 Center
PS1200 Subwoofer
Rear ADP390

taht entire set for 3k is from a local dealer. any thoughts/

mostly using for movies and such.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monitor 11 V.05 Front ones (R L)
Monitor CC290 Center
PS1200 Subwoofer
Rear ADP390

taht entire set for 3k is from a local dealer. any thoughts/

mostly using for movies and such.

Those are good. Do you like how they sound?

--Andre

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
sound was great, sounded much cleaner than my B&W803s.

I am just making sure it is the best bang for the buck.

darnelled

Reaction score
Looking to get a new set of surrond sound, as I just got my new reciever and am rebuilding my theatre room set up.

I ahve the denon 3808ci reciever, and am going abck and forth with speaker set ups.. B&W or Paradigm are what I am looking at.

Love the Denon recievers. I have an old 3300 still going strong with daily use by the kids playing dvd's and leaving it on all day.

Have you auditioned the Paradigm Studio series? It's their high-end line. B&W make great speakers too- it's just a matter of which manufacturer's sound you like best. Try to audition them both while hooked up to the components you own and playing your music. Take your time.

jpo

Reaction score
Linn Majik integrated
Meridian 200 transport
Meridian 263 dAC
Home made cables

tlmusic

Reaction score
UK LP 1st pressings!
inlove.gif

Recently acquired:
Pink Floyd Meddle--1st press Harvest
Who Who's next--1st press Track
Pink Floyd DSOTM--early press Harvest (kills the Mofi)
Yes The Yes Album--1st press Atlantic Plum
Yes Fragile--1st press Atlantic Plum
CSNY Deja Vu--1st press Atlantic Plum
Led Zeppelin IV--1st matrix, 2nd press labels

These absolutely top any other versions I've ever heard--including recent "audiophile" releases. (not even close, according to my friends)

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
After realizing that my main source for listening is FM, and how good it can actually sound, I am now on the hunt for something to replace my cute, but less than perfect sounding Quad FM3. Some of these "holy grail" tuners are now fetching stupid amounts of money, and could be a tad over-hyped, I still think investing more money into my main listening source is a practical affair. Especially since the benefits are worth it....unlike other sources, I don't have to buy any software and the vast libraries of music radio stations have is well beyond my capabilities. And it's also nice to let someone else do the programing...that's how I discover new music.
I bought a new tuner earlier in the year. A Sony one that cost $40, of all things, based on this review. Our local FM radio stations are all pretty bad (both in terms of SQ and in terms of programming, hip hop excepted) HD radio doesn't seem that interesting around here, and I almost never use the thing. Admittedly, it doesn't look nearly as impressive as a McIntosh, but I was looking for audio function, not furniture. Besides that, here's what I've done audio-wise since last posting my system here: Home system: Got rid of the gigantic and ugly Tannoy B475 auxiliary subwoofer. Replaced it with two M-Design Eleganza Bella subwoofers, arrayed mostly Geddes style. (No sub is above the room vertical centerline.) Even though they were sold by Monster Cable, the M-Design subs are pretty serious performers, using expensive (~$500 at retail) underhung neo-radial motor drivers sourced from Aura. The two 12" Aura drivers, along with the long-throw, low inductance Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X 18" driver in my main sub, with very little global EQ, produce the best-sounding bass reproductive I've ever heard. Over a fairly wide listening area, at that. A few pics, excuse the wire mess that has since been taken care of:
p1000584bi4.jpg
Audyssey MultEQ XT does a great job cutting the midbass bloom inevitable from the corner placement of my left main. Also, Maelstrom-X based subwoofer. The Auralex Gramma platform has since been placed under the sub, though it didn't make the slightest audible (or measurable) difference. That rack has also since been replaced with a vintage credenza designed by George Nelson for HM that also serves as TV stand. It holds all of the audio electronics boxes as well as SACDs, DVDs, etc. (Standard-def digital audio is handled by a computer in a different room, fed into the system via AirPort Express.)
p1000585pi5.jpg
Note the extreme roundovers and complete lack of anything to cause diffraction on the mains. (Mains Tannoy Dual Concentric drivers are 12", for scale.) Also, amazingly enough Monster Cable's OEM did a great job on the cabinetry for the M-Design subs.
p1000581he1.jpg
Second M-Design Eleganza Bella subwoofer. Headphones: Added Denon AH-D2000 to the collection, might even like them better than the venerable Sennheiser HD-580s. Never thought I'd hear a good-sounding sealed 'can, but these things are just excellent. Car: Oh, and a McIntosh (OEM Subaru piece) double-DIN headunit for the Miata. It doesn't sound a lick different from the Denon DCT-950R it replaced, of course - by now every non-idiot understands that non-broken, competently designed audio electronics boxes all sound the same, full stop - but it looks better. Similar looking to this one, but with a tape deck in the blank space and no "tuned for Subaru" script.
SubaruMcIntoshStr032806.jpg
Also sold the JL 450/4 amp and replaced it with a more compact and powerful Class D amp from a company I'd never previously heard of called Planet Audio. I also replaced the Peerless SLS8 woofers in the doors with the new CSS Trio8, which has a dual-gap motor for more linear BL over excursion and better high-frequency extension than the Peerless woofers. They allowed me to move the crossover to the little 2" widebanders up an octave, for much reduced dynamic compression.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
saw this today

http://i.gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-...yline=true&s=x

He is listening through Wilson Alexandria speakers. I auditioned them afew months ago and I ahve to say that they are the only speakers I have ever heard that sounded like a live orchestra.
Amazing speakers, but ugly, expensive and huge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads