• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question from a soon-to-be college student

newbiejeans

Reaction score
So I'm off to college this fall and need to add to my wardrobe, which isn't very vast at all. I was thinking about buying a pair of raw denim jeans, APC New Standards to be exact, but would this be worth the money for a college student? I don't want to seem like the type who worries too much about his clothing and the way he dresses, but I do want to look nice.
bigstar[1].gif

I'm going to be attending a large university, but the setting seems to be very relaxed and casual. I don't want to stand out by strutting around in my designer jeans and whatnot, but I'm only going to be wearing relatively cheap Tees and polos.

I guess what I'm asking is: Should I spend over $100 for a pair of jeans for college?

hnlax

Reaction score
people aren't going to notice your jeans as much as they would a pair of true religions. no one is going to think you're "strutting around"

and the fact is that no one in college cares. i go to usc, and there's all sorts of kids here. there are kids that dress similar to the way i do, but i'm no more likely to hang out with them than with kids who don't dress like me.

wearing apc's isn't going to make you cooler or pick up more girls (i know that isn't what you're getting at). the fact is that you're going to want a nice pair of jeans to wear out to class as well as to parties, but remember--messy things happen at parties.

i joined the forum for advice with denim, as the best pairs i own are uniqlo.

i'm sure people will have better advice, but to me, here's the key--get a pair of well fitting DARK jeans. dark jeans are key

captainmo

Reaction score
Everybody is too busy worrying about themselves to care what others do. I'm an engineering student, so my classes are pretty much all guys - jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie are the norm. People in the business school tend to dress a little nicer. I don't really see the point in wearing a button down to class, but that's what a lot of guys there wear. I rarely wear polos to class.

I wear the same pair of levis pretty much everyday. Just bought a pair of APCs, and once they arrive, I'll be wearing them everyday.

Most people won't recognize APCs as designer. Kids our age tend to think diesel/rock and republic/7 for all mankind are the pinnacle to denim fashion.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbiejeans
APC New Standards to be exact, but would this be worth the money for a college student? I don't want to seem like the type who worries too much about his clothing and the way he dresses

Really? A pair of $155 jeans? Don't most kids in US ghettos have trainers more expensive than that?

Oxnard

Reaction score
The only problem with spending what I assuming is a large part of you clothing budget on a few items is that, with the first year in particular, dorm life at a large university can be extremely messy. If your hitting a lot of parties or even having lots of people in your room you can expect a lot of **** to get messed up or stolen. Now if spending a $100 is no biggie then some New Standards are great (though they cost about $150). My point is that if you have very little money to spend on clothes you may want to spread it out more due to the increased risk of clothing damage in dorm life. You don't want to make this like your centerpiece item just to have some brah spill natty light on it. Or a drunk girl puke on it. Or whatever else. Also, don't expect anyone at all to notice that your wearing APC New Standards, though that would vary at which school your at. Definitely don't make smalltalk with girls about your raw denim, btw. I remember my freshman year, two fucknuts spilled soysauce on my bed on two different occasions! Imagine if that had been my raw denim instead, oh lord. Good luck!

newbiejeans

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick replies!

hnlax: Why Dark jeans? Just wondering

captainmo: I'm going to be in engineering as well! I'm also mostly a T shirt guy with the occasional polo

somatoform: I guess the kids (at least at my school) seem to value their shoes more than jeans or other apparel for that matter

So I guess it's time for a pair of new jeans then!

@oxnard: Don't worry, it won't be my "centerpiece" clothing. I'll have plenty of other clothes

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Really? A pair of $155 jeans? Don't most kids in US ghettos have trainers more expensive than that?

Ay what up dawg...you know what this is? YOUR LIFE OR YOUR BAPEZ N!GG@!!!!!

Oxnard

Reaction score
I think this could be a likely scenario...
newbie: Man, I love these new standards, so nice and dark. I havn't washed them in like 3 months, I am already getting sick fades!
Brah: Hey brah why don't you wash your jeans? Well you gotta wash em now, natty light on your jeans stoopid rookie! *proceeds to spill natty light on NS* Woooo!
newbie:
frown.gif

GahDuma

Reaction score
I regularly wear diors around my campus and no one cares. The rear darting/scar stitching isn't too recognizable. I'd imagine APCs would be even less recognizable to anyone except those "in the know."

What I'm trying to say is you're not going to be impressing anyone with your jeans. If they're going to be skinny, there's a whole bunch of hipsters wearing skinny jeans all over the place. If you do decide to wear raws, know that you're doing it for yourself and not what others see, because normal college kids don't give a ****.

if you're concerned about the cost, just grab some Levis that you aren't scared to **** up. If cost isn't the issue, go right ahead.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Should I spend over $100 for a pair of jeans for college?

you could (not should...oops) get jeans that retail for 100+, but don't pay 100+... APC's are quite common, find a gently worn pair. I have seen them as low as 60-65. Just take some time to determine your options.

for example:i have kmw's (msrp is 275$, i paid MUCH less than that for a pair that were brand new) make friends, and check the Buying and Selling sections of multiple fora before you make a purchase IMO.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kregg
Remember, STF's are only ~$35.

Where? I picked up a pair of STFs in my true waist size and didn't get the kind of shrinkage that I was hoping for. They're a little loose. I'm thinking I'll have to go down a size. Where can I pick them up for $35?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Wrangler 936 DEN slims have riveted pockets, are dry, and have awesome stacking potential and can be had for as little as 14.96 at wal-mart/western wear outlets throughout the country.

Kohls,Sears,Macy's, Penney's, Levis.com, all carry STF. also, you wanna size down 1 on STF's.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Kohls,Sears,Macy's, Penney's, Levis.com, all carry STF. also, you wanna size down 1 on STF's.

Bummer. I asked around here and the advice at the time was to go true to waist. Looks like I'll have to get a new pair. Good thing they're so cheap. And **** the Levis store for charging me $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads