• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question from a soon-to-be college student

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yo just go for the diors if you dont get them you will always regret it (like me)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're nice jeans, but for the half the price you can get handmade USA **** from Crate. As I said before, I love walking around with blank pockets in a sea of people trying to stunt, just thinking 'my jeans are so much better than yours and you have no clue'.

Who says they're 'better'? STYLEFORUM, *****.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
out of curiosity what colleges do you go to? I am going to uofm next year.

Oxnard

Reaction score
As others have mentioned, if you are going to spend $100-$150 on a pair of rawjeans, you really can do much better than APC. Scout around, find some discounts, maybe even buy a slightly used pair of jeans. I have seen way too many crotch blowouts and weird stretching from APC denim to recommend it over everything else if it is going to be your only pair of raw denim. Take your time, research, find whatever you think is the best value, and good luck!

newbiejeans

Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting San Fran this week and was wondering if there are any brands I should consider over the APC (that are supplied in stores). I want to stick to the simplistic design with little to no stitching on the pockets. Many of you recommended Crate and I can't seem to find a website on it? Can I find these in stores? Again, i'll look for discounts, but I would like to keep it in the $150 range. Thanks for your replies!

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbiejeans
I'm going to be visiting San Fran this week and was wondering if there are any brands I should consider over the APC (that are supplied in stores). I want to stick to the simplistic design with little to no stitching on the pockets. Many of you recommended Crate and I can't seem to find a website on it? Can I find these in stores? Again, i'll look for discounts, but I would like to keep it in the $150 range. Thanks for your replies!
Oh dude, if your going to San Francisco, you HAVE to go to Self Edge. They carry some of the best denim labels period. It is a little pricey but they still have plenty of stuff in your price range. Check out their website at the top of the page to look at what they got. Best denim shop in all of california really, you should definitely check it out. http://www.selfedge.com/

the_pole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo

Most people won't recognize APCs as designer. Kids our age tend to think diesel/rock and republic/7 for all mankind are the pinnacle to denim fashion.

Thats very true , im a bio major and but i tend to wear nicer stuff (usually a button down ) for some reason the professors like you better , i guess because your more professional looking.

As for the OP its a good idea to buy jeans over 100 , but I will warn you , you do get expensive jean syndrome
tounge.gif

newbiejeans

Reaction score
@ Oxnard: I looked at the website and wow are those jeans expensive! (at least to me) The cheapest I could find were nearing the $200 range. I'm thinking I'll look into that store after some experience in raw denim. Any recommendations for other stores? I've heard of Rolo; anyone have experience with that store?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
out of curiosity what colleges do you go to? I am going to uofm next year.

I hope you enjoy continuing to spread em until DickRod's spread offense takes off. I'm thinking this will be sometime around your five year reunion.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbiejeans
@ Oxnard: I looked at the website and wow are those jeans expensive! (at least to me) The cheapest I could find were nearing the $200 range. I'm thinking I'll look into that store after some experience in raw denim. Any recommendations for other stores? I've heard of Rolo; anyone have experience with that store?

Thing about raw denim is that you'll end up pining to upgrade to the expensive stuff anyway, so if the funds are available why not just get them now? They're jeans, not cars. Especially if you're going to be in-store, Kiya and the staff will take good care of you and make sure you leave with a jean that you're happy with.

Their prices do seem to have gone up a tiny bit from when I last remember though. Close to the $200 you'll find the non-selvage nudies, and a little more than that gets you sugarcane and skull's basic models. One thing you should ask Kiya about are the 3sixteen jeans - he carries the brand in-store so he might have their denim. I've seen the jean in person and I think that if you want to drop money on a jean in the APC/Crate price range, it could be fun to experiment with.

Kique

Reaction score
I'm a freshman in college this year and I got APC NS last fall. I'm pretty happy with them, never really spilled beer on them or anything at parties or got them really dirty, so I've only had to do one wash so far. I do get a lot of compliments on my jeans (which always makes me feel awkward for some reason), but no one here has heard of APC's when I tell them the brand.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, how could I forget naked and famous. Solid jeans for the price. I just wish they made more of their jeans with button flys.

TrekTheWorld

Reaction score
Go with the APC. Get yourself a nice pair of quality jeans. I mean most designer jeans far exceed the price tag of the new standard, and on top of that, it may impress girls when you mention APC since GQ seems to be on APC's jock these days.

DocHunter

Reaction score
The answer here is obvious to me. If $150 is your price range then mow a few lawns and buy Ande Whalls for $200.

Ande Whall makes handmade jeans with some of the best Cone Denim you'll find. They're just as good as anything in the $250-$300 range and they're light years better than APC, Crate, or anything in the $150 range.

Get the Ande Whalls and you won't have too much of a desire to upgrade because they're about as quality as you will find. I have Sugar Canes, Nudie RRDS, Jean Shops, Levis STF, Old Crate Routes and Earnest Sewns and my AW's are my favorite. They're just as good quality as any of the other brands that I paid more for.

And I'll add: I have a pair of APC New Standards that I ended up returning for my Sugar Canes. While APC has a nice cut and decent fading properties, the denim they use just isn't nearly the same quality of most other brands (including Crate).

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrekTheWorld
Go with the APC. Get yourself a nice pair of quality jeans. I mean most designer jeans far exceed the price tag of the new standard, and on top of that, it may impress girls when you mention APC since GQ seems to be on APC's jock these days.
Every word in that post made me wince, including 'and' and 'the'. EDIT: Sweet, RUSH post count

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads