• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Albert Lam - NYC Bespoke Tailor

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'd be grateful to have any opinions, and or, experiences with Albert Lam, Bespoke Tailor on Lafayette St. in New York. I believe his DBA is First Custom Corp.

Thank you

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always walked past the storefront but thought it was just another menswear shop. Will check him out, I live down the block.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When there were several tailors in Chinatown. albert was and still is considered the best down town.
he has a great selection of fabric.
He has made clothing for former mayor David dinkins.

he made me two suits about 15-20 years ago. they were full canvased and very well made. Work was done on site.

have not spoken to him inyears. No idae what the quaality is like these days.
Carl

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spoke with him briefly and he seemed to be very knowledgable. He told me prices start at $1000 for his bespoke service for super 120/140/150 fabrics and two fittings. Fully-canvassed and all work is done on premises. There is no "house cut," but he's willing to imitate any cut like Chan. I would strongly consider them for my next suit.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Stant.

He comes well recommended and I might just give it a shot.

Thanks again, Alan

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you do, please report back.
Ha, funny you should ask. Based on my first impressions of Mr. Lam, and Shirtmaven's positive review, I think I just might purchase my next suit from him, albeit, this won't be until this summer at least. Alan Bee, if you do decide to use Mr. Lam, please let me know as well.

smon320

Reaction score
I've ordered a suit from Albert Lam in May '07. Paid close to approx $1600 for a navy blue super 120. Went for two fittings and had it in about four weeks. The workmanship is alright, nothing spectacular. Definitely not worth the money.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smon320
I've ordered a suit from Albert Lam in May '07. Paid close to approx $1600 for a navy blue super 120. Went for two fittings and had it in about four weeks. The workmanship is alright, nothing spectacular. Definitely not worth the money.

How so?

defenselawyer

Reaction score
Albert Lam has been making my suits since 1987. I have probably bought 30 or more suits from him. I have always been happy with them. He does not cut corners. For example, all of the button holes are handstitched. When he started making suits for me, a federal judge noted that my practice must be flourishing because my suits were much better. I recommend him.

sartorial splen

Reaction score
I have used albert lam for 30 years. He is still reliable and excellent quality in suits, sport coats and slacks. He has not changed the way he makes the garments. Prices have gone up, but that is probably between inflation and the cost of good wools and other materials which have been rising faster than inflation.

manhattanman

Reaction score
Hi, stant62 and Alan Bee - have you bought a suit from Albert Lam? The last two positive posts are by people who have only one post and joined same month they posted. They could be legitimate, just doesn't look right.

I was in Chinatown and walked in, spoke with Albert and looked at some fabrics. I think he said suits start at $1,100 and I looked at some real nice supper 150s and Zegna fabrics at 1,600 - 1800 a suit.

doctorman

Reaction score
just curious to see if anyone has had any updates since the last post. i walked by his store today and had a brief chat with him. he seemed quite knowledgeable and pleasant. his suits now start at about $1500. anything a bit better will put you in the $2500 range. all work is done on premise and all suits are fully canvassed. i saw some of the suits hanging in the shop - the styles were really quite average (for the price). as mentioned above, there isn't a house cut - he's willing to work with you. two fittings.

i would really like to hear what others have to say, especially comparing his suits to other similar priced suits. thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads