• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do in NYC?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Kunk's biceps?

Haven't many previous threads established that there is nothing to see or do in NYC?

That really, Atlanta is where it's at?

- B

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Haven't many previous threads established that there is nothing to see or do in NYC?

That really, Atlanta is where it's at?

- B

Ed is in Atlanta....so is Fran

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
So where do you hang out? I don't think he wants to go to Mr. Black.

I haven't heard of Mr. Black. Where I hang out is of no consequence, the issue is that the bars you mentioned are not good.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
I haven't heard of Mr. Black. Where I hang out is of no consequence, the issue is that the bars you mentioned are not good.

What a cop-out. Can you explain why you think they're not good? Some sort of communication would be helpful. Those are the best tourist spots in NYC and are always packed with young girls in mini skirts every night (Except Avalon). I even hung out with Tommy Lee & a group of models at Hotel Gaansevoort one night.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
What a cop-out.

This isn't a pissing contest between us, I am just trying to give a visitor good advice so he doesn't end up at lousy bars.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a Saturday go to Union Square farmers market. Then walk down Broadway into Soho.

That will give you a nice scenic cross section view of downtown.

While in Soho, I would suggest going to Uniqlo. That is a good price point for someone not looking to spend too much money on clothing.

If you are so inclined, continue down Broadway until you hit Chinatown.

Ochowie

Reaction score
One piece of advice is if you do want a last minute ticket do not go to the TKTS in Times Square. There is a location of TKTS at South Street Seaport that sells the exact same tickets and usually with no line at all.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the weather is warm, go pick up some chicks at my favorite spots:

- Rooftop @ 230 Fifth on 5th ave and 27th st. (Probably the best spot in NYC on a nice night, usually no cover)
- Rooftop @ Hotel Gaansevoort in the Meat Market (9 ave & 15th st.): Real easy to pick up chicks here. Usually no cover.
- Just hang out around the meat market after 11pm and do some scoping. Expect to see many models. (Beware most clubs here are ultra picky and won't let guys in alone after 11pm).
- Mansion club on 28th st. (Largest club in NYC now?, high cover up to $35)
- Fat Black ***** Cat & The Underground on 3rd st. (Great NYU college crowd goes here, cover up to $20)
- Avalon club (crowd kinda sucks now, but the beauty of the church is worth it to see to relive the limelight days) @ 47 W 20th st. Expect a cover up to $35.
- Do dinner & clubbing at Iguana's on 54th st. & broadway. No cover, food is ok. Good way to burn a night.
- The View: 47th st & 7th ave in Times Square on the top of the Marriot Marquis. Has a rotating floor w/ view of all of manhattan. Beware there's a $7 cover after 9pm. Don't expect to pickup chicks here, but best date spot in NYC.

Man, this list is basically my social night life. You might run into me this weekend if you follow this...

Can't help to add this since I've been showing tourists around NYC for 20 yrs:
- Go to the Museum of Natural History. Spend the day talking to random people. Most are very friendly. Check out the incredible rose center within and catch the planetarium show.
- Go to TKTS in Times Square (at 11am), and get some half price theater tickets. Try to see some off-broadways shows since they can be great too.
- If you come into NJ, come to the redesigned Liberty Science Center and check out the IMAX (best if have kids or date with you though). You can also view the statue of liberty from here.
- Buy a Hilarious Bolex watch on Mott st. in Chinatown

I think Avalon is closed. They were having a clothing sample sale there when I walked by last week.

And i dont think these are bad suggestions for a tourist. Not everyone is super cool hipster who knows Amy Sacco on a 1st name basis.

The View is really cool. Although not hip, per se, it is a nice experience to go there for a drink.

While I cant speak for Fat Black ***** Cat or Village Underground specifically, I can suggest going to those bars in the NYU area on a weekend night. Off the Wagon, Down the hatch, Peculiar Pub and that type of thing. Lots of women and a low key college atmosphere.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
I think Avalon is closed. They were having a clothing sample sale there when I walked by last week.

And i dont think these are bad suggestions for a tourist. Not everyone is super cool hipster who knows Amy Sacco on a 1st name basis.

The View is really cool. Although not hip, per se, it is a nice experience to go there for a drink.

While I cant speak for Fat Black ***** Cat or Village Underground specifically, I can suggest going to those bars in the NYU area on a weekend night. Off the Wagon, Down the hatch, Peculiar Pub and that type of thing. Lots of women and a low key college atmosphere.

He would be better served going to the college bars you mentioned or pretty much any no-name bar. Places like Gansevoort, 230 5th and Mansion are filled with B&T guido trash. It might be me, but give me an irish bar any day of the week over a room full of sweaty fist pumping dudes from long island.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
He would be better served going to the college bars you mentioned or pretty much any no-name bar. Places like Gansevoort, 230 5th and Mansion are filled with B&T guido trash. It might be me, but give me an irish bar any day of the week over a room full of sweaty fist pumping dudes from long island.

Now I see what you're talking about. It's true those place attract a lot of the type you mentioned. Like any other place in NYC, it helps to go early and get out early. Usually any bar / club in NYC will become a huge sausage fest after 1am or 2am. By 3am most "popular" places are truly intolerable.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Now I see what you're talking about. It's true those place attract a lot of the type you mentioned. Like any other place in NYC, it helps to go early and get out early. Usually any bar / club in NYC will become a huge sausage fest after 1am or 2am. By 3am most "popular" places are truly intolerable.

I disagree. There are plenty of popular places that are neither a sausage fest nor intolerable after 3am. The places that end up that way are the huge clubs that end up getting overrun by the B&T.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It it were me.... I would go to Rivington, Ludlow, Orchard street, etc...

That is where I usually end up at 3am...

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eating:

Arthur Avenue
Go down under the Manhattan Bridge and check out some of the Chinese Noodle shops, Bahn Mi places and Dumpling shops
Union Square Farmers Market
Lots of good restaurants, just depends on what you are looking for

To Do Activities (kinda weather dependent):
Walk along the Hudson River Park
Take a trip into Brooklyn and go to Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Museum, Prospect Park
Walk Across the Brooklyn Bridge
Walk through DUMBO, go to Jacques Torres, sit down by the water in those new parks
Go to Bergdorfs
Walk through West Village, visit Leffot, have coffee at Joes
Hang out in Tompkins Square park during the day, lots of dogs and interesting people

Bars:
Depends on what you are looking for, there are plenty of clubs like those discussed above. Also lots of other more interesting places.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
My favorites places tend to be more "Old New York" than "hipster club scene". So here's my recommendations, taken with a grain of salt:

McSorley's Ale House - Winner, most saw dust
The Ear Inn - Oldest bar in NY
Chumley's - If you can find it
PJ Clarke's - Great bathroom
White Horse Tavern - where Dylan Thomas drank himself to death, now you can too!
Corner Bistro - for the burgers, mmmmm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads