• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Etiquette

Reaction score
While on the subject of ring etiquette, I've been wondering about the appropriateness of wearing a wedding band on the same finger of the right hand?

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RuderalisIndyCar
While on the subject of ring etiquette, I've been wondering about the appropriateness of wearing a wedding band on the same finger of the right hand?

Wedding band is worn on the right hand in Orthodox Christian and some other (Germany, Mexico) countries. Not sure about the "appropriateness" of it in your environment.

Khnelben

Reaction score
Some people (including myself) wear both the wedding and the signet family ring on the same hand (pinky and wedding band finger).

This style can be seen on Prince Michael of Kent and Nikita Mikhalkov (Russian movie director).

US guys sometimes wear both the signet and wedding rings on the same finger - wedding one.

In the UK one can find people wearing both a wedding and a signet ring on the pinky - like Prince Charles and Prince Edward.

Also, some people take both hands' wedding fingers up - one with a family ring, the other one with a wedding band.

But the thumb thing - that's a beach thing or wear big jeans and white keds )))
bounce2.gif

Andrey

Reaction score
Quote:In the UK one can find people wearing both a wedding and a signet ring on the pinky - like Prince Charles and Prince Edward.

Also, some people take both hands' wedding fingers up - one with a family ring, the other one with a wedding band).

Thanks for the response Khnelben:
I'm intrigued by the option adopted by the Windsors that you quote here;any pics?

Also the second option of two rings on opposite fingers is appealing to me personally, and I might just give it a try.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Never wear a ring unless she says it's OK. Even then, you probably don't want to start out with a ring. You need to get her ready. When the time is right, say something like "you want me to hit it with my c-ring, baby? Chicks dig it." Then get out the ring. Good luck.

Khnelben

Reaction score
sent you a reply, RuderalisIndyCar ,

but you can have a look at any of the close-up pics of PoW on Getty Images.

Andrey

Joe Cool

Reaction score
1 ring per hand TOPS.

Unless you're Jimi Hendrix.

sumoha

Reaction score
regarding the whole 'wearing a ring on the pinky' issue...i don't think it's a big deal and in fact can look very classy. canadian engineers, i'm told, wear an iron ring on their pinky so that it leaves a smudge and makes a noise when they lay their hand on their work table to rest. it reminds them of some tragedy that occurred way back where an iron bridge that wasn't engineered properly collapsed and killed a lot of people. so, i think, even if you're not a canadian engineer, if anyone ever questions you having a ring on your pinky, just tell a story like that and put them in their place.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy necro-bump.

But, since I'm indian, my mom wanted me to wear a couple rings for some religious reason. I'm a momma's boy, so I acquiesced. I think it's all a matter of how you think about them. I used to be quite insecure about wearing rings, and got many questions about them. Nowadays, they're just part of who I am, and no one really even noticed or asks. When they do, I tell them.

Do what you want.

DJosef

Reaction score

Unless you are an Engineer.

An iron ring wore by engineers on their dominant hand signifies their commitment to safety and acts as a reminder of an engineer's professional and moral obligation to the public. Each time the wearer writes, draws or signs their work, his/her ring brushes against the document and reminds them of engineering humility.

I'm an engineer, but this tradition wasn't present in the country I graduated in.
I'm wondering if it's okay to wear an iron ring as a symbol of professional integrity, or would it be pretentious?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads