• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring Etiquette

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only men who can wear a pinky ring and not look like a guido are engineers. When I see a guy with a pinky ring I just roll my eyes and think, "Oh, I see".

I think one ring per hand. Wedding ring + one other is the max.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brits (and many other Europeans) of the very non-guido type typically wear signet rings on their pinkies.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy wearing multiple gold rings like Sammy Davis Jr., or Renaissance popes.

sammy-davis-jr-revealed-in-new-book.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i didn;t read the op, but make sure it's big enough to slide over both ********* and the base of your nuts.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not the type to wear a lot of jewelry - a watch and two rings is pushing it for me - but I wear a wedding band on my left hand and I will occasionally wear a simple band on my right thumb. I've found that I get a few questions about the thumb, particularly because it's on the hand I use to shake hands, but people are generally complimentary. The people who are not complimentary tend to be guys who think it's funny to give me grief for it, and it tends to be from the same group that picks on me for dressing better than they do. The compliments tend to come from women and better-dressed men. I don't have to tell you which group is the one to which I pay attention.

Given the above I think a solitary thumb ring is fine. However, I always take it off for events where there is any real level of formality.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I enjoy wearing multiple gold rings like Sammy Davis Jr., or Renaissance popes.

sammy-davis-jr-revealed-in-new-book.jpg

Good look.

Originally Posted by MrG
I will occasionally wear a simple band on my right thumb.

No no no...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
No no no...

Well since you've decided I can't do it I'll abandon the practice immediately.

Now you just have to convince the other 10 or so other posters in this thread who said a ring is fine, assuming it's done properly.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Brits (and many other Europeans) of the very non-guido type typically wear signet rings on their pinkies.

it really is a very cultural thing. I know a lot of europeans who wear this well. I actually know a few americans who pull it off well, too. but many can't

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate rings on the thumb. i think it looks so tacky and out of place. just my opinion.

Artigas

Reaction score
The U.S. military says you can wear one ring, in good taste (sic), on each hand. I'd say that's probably a good standard to go by.

I wear a turqoise/silver on my left index and a bloodstone/white gold signet on my right middle. That's where they fit.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Just keep them off the pinky.

True.
Unless you are an Engineer.

An iron ring wore by engineers on their dominant hand signifies their commitment to safety and acts as a reminder of an engineer's professional and moral obligation to the public. Each time the wearer writes, draws or signs their work, his/her ring brushes against the document and reminds them of engineering humility.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That's cool, I didn't know that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Just keep them off the pinky.
I was in a meeting with a guy who wore a pinky ring on both hands, one was diamond and the other was some other jewel. It was surprising given his position and profession.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads