• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do restaurants serve bread..?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Interesting observation. It's something that's just done and not questioned, I guess.

If they stop serving bread would people order more food?

I would note that in Italy (and maybe other places), you actually pay for it (pane e coperto)

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReJoyce
It is ludicrous to extend this observation to the French. Bread, cheese, and wine are the culinary trinity.
sarcasm.gif
So I next time I go to Alain Ducasse, I will sit down and expect nothing but good ordinary claret, pain de menage and some Roquefort? WTF?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would note that in Italy (and maybe other places), you actually pay for it (pane e coperto)
True... As I say though, the Italians may 'need' bread. Although I don't know if 1 Euro (the coperto in a 2 Michelin star restaurant in Milan which I ate at) is enough to deter.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
As I say though, the Italians may 'need' bread.
Sorry I don't understand why they would need bread more than other cuisines... ?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I next time I go to Alain Ducasse, I will sit down and expect nothing but good ordinary claret, pain de menage and some Roquefort?
Actually this is not far from what you'd get at his NYC place Adour

Bouji

Reaction score
Sorry I don't understand why they would need bread more than other cuisines... ?

Antipasti:
Prosciutto Crudo con Melone

Primi:
Carpaccio di Manzo

Secondi:
Cotoletta alla Milanese

Dolce:
Pesca cotta in camicia

= No carbs, perhaps need bread.

Bouji

Reaction score
Actually this is not far from what you'd get at his NYC place Adour

Hahah
laugh.gif
You have to be joking?

Perhaps Ducasse, with his recent expansion (read: world domination), is not the best example.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wha? No carbs in Italian cuisine beyond pasta? Never heard that one before - they use the same carbs as French cuisine (potatoes, beans, etc...) + their own (e.g. polenta). I still don't see why Italian cuisine needs bread while French doesn't.
Hahah
laugh.gif
You have to be joking?

Well, it is a wine bar

Bouji

Reaction score
Wha? No carbs in Italian cuisine beyond pasta? Never heard that one before - they use the same carbs as French cuisine (potatoes, beans, etc...) + their own (e.g. polenta). I still don't see why Italian cuisine needs bread while French doesn't.

Osteria, Trattoria and Retaurants outside Italy may differ, but in a proper Ristorante there won't be carbs in a contorno, it will just be something like spinach, zuccini etc.
Polenta is usually a primi.
Carbs are mostly primi.

As far as I know, I cannot say that many Italians eat potatoes.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I am asking why restaurants serve it. Re-read question...

So what?

1. You use a Christian-centric quote, when in fact most of modern western Europe is atheist with the exception of Italy, which I'm ignoring for this question anyway.

2. When you cook at home, do you serve bread 15 minutes before the first course is ready?

We serve bread at every meal in our house.

We also happen to be italian and catholic

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, I cannot say that many Italians eat potatoes.
Patate Fritte alla Romanesca, Gratin Di Patate, Patate alla Griglia, Passato Di Patate, Patate al Forno alla Lucana, Gnocchi alla Romana (not a primo), Patate Tartufate, Patate Verdi, Patate Lesse, Crocchette Di Patate.... all contorni

Anyhow, you seem persuaded that your little classification in the OP is right and that you just discovered something earth-shattering so I'll leave it at that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy eating bread with my meal, unless it's pasta, risotto or some starch-based meal. What I dislike a little is when people throw themselves on the bread basket and eat two rolls covered with butter before the appetizers come out. Not sure why it bugs me but I find that both distasteful and opposite to the objective of going to a restaurant to enjoy a good meal (I can get bread and cheap butter anywhere - why fill myself up with that stuff?)

Interesting, when I met my wife I was spending a lot of time in Italy, and I remember that we had conflicting views - I thought you needed to eat good bread with pasta, and she thought that pasta made the bread redundant. I love eating really good italian rolls or bread with pasta, and using the bread to clean up the sauce.

I'm not thrilled with the bread we get in the US, anyway - not that good bread is unavailable, but I don't drive out to get good bread.

Bouji

Reaction score
Patate Fritte alla Romanesca, Gratin Di Patate, Patate alla Griglia, Passato Di Patate, Patate al Forno alla Lucana, Gnocchi alla Romana (not a primo), Patate Tartufate, Patate Verdi, Patate Lesse, Crocchette Di Patate.... all contorni

Anyhow, you seem persuaded that your little classification in the OP is right and that you just discovered something earth-shattering so I'll leave it at that.

Haha I did just discover something earth-shattering, either way, I will say that Gnocchi (which I forgot about, potato based!) Is usually a Primi course??

I cannot say I'm sure, but somehow I really doubt any of those dishes being served at proper ristorante... as I say Osteria, Trattoria may differ.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
Interesting, when I met my wife I was spending a lot of time in Italy, and I remember that we had conflicting views - I thought you needed to eat good bread with pasta, and she thought that pasta made the bread redundant. I love eating really good italian rolls or bread with pasta, and using the bread to clean up the sauce.

I'm not thrilled with the bread we get in the US, anyway - not that good bread is unavailable, but I don't drive out to get good bread.

I think your wife is correct as far as Italians are concerned. Italo-american = bread +pasta. I also like to sop up good sauce w/ some bread (vongele, ftw!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads