1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do restaurants serve bread..?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Ever heard of gnocchi?

(Side note: I've yet to meet an American who pronounces this correctly.)

EDIT: late.

Sure, Gnocci is a primi, and the contorni may not include starch.

So, my point stands, an Italian meal without a primi and a tradtional contorni would not include carbs/starch; hence bread may be needed.

2. arlee

arlee Senior member

It seems like this is expected and never questioned.

In certain cases I can see the reason,

Central/South Asian cuisine- Unless you're eating rice, that is what the food is eaten with; unlike western cuisine, in these cuisines its used 'to scoop it up', not accompany.
    Italian cuisine - If you don't have a 'primi' then the meal can lack carbs and not be filling.

As far as French/British/American/Spanish/German/Fusion/Haute/whatever cuisine goes, I really cannot understand the concept of bread...

so you can make a sandwich with it

3. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

So that everyone can "break bread". Plus bread is one of the oldest foods that just about every culture has.

4. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I always thought it was the french who did not eat a meal without bread.

5. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

At its price, I love it.

Do you know its a rip off of Berry Brothers and Rudd's 'House' wine?

Didn't know that. I'll have to try the BBR one.

K

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I always thought it was the french who did not eat a meal without bread.

They don't - bread is present at every meal from breakfast to dinner, at home and restaurants

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Because the cheap people who don't want to spend money on an appetizer whine constantly for bread until they go through three baskets of the stuff.

These are usually the same people that complain that their main course dish is too small because it could not feed a family of four. If they happen to order an appetizer they complain it's "so tiny".

8. Eason

Eason Senior member

It seems like this is expected and never questioned.

In certain cases I can see the reason,

Central/South Asian cuisine- Unless you're eating rice, that is what the food is eaten with; unlike western cuisine, in these cuisines its used 'to scoop it up', not accompany.
    Italian cuisine - If you don't have a 'primi' then the meal can lack carbs and not be filling.

As far as French/British/American/Spanish/German/Fusion/Haute/whatever cuisine goes, I really cannot understand the concept of bread...

Many countries foods, especially western ones, take a long time to prepare. The bread is there to give you something to eat while you wait.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I've never had a problem not being able to finish my meal because I've eaten a loaf of bread beforehand. [​IMG] Disturbingly enough, I love the bread at the Outback. I am going there on Monday for someone's birthday and I just thought about the bread. And a bloomin onion.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

They serve bread because customers expect them to.

11. Hany

Hany Senior member

I'll repeat myself: they serve bread so that you don't eat the "heavier" foods on an empty stomach.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

nobody mentioned that bread is good - I love good bread, and it is a bitch to make at home, and most of us are too busy to buy it fresh every day. so getting good bread at a resteraunt is a good thing

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

from a customer's perspective, i love the offer of free bread to nibble on before the meal.

but from the business's perspective, it doesnt really make sense. dont you want them to order appetizers and desserts? bread just fills and will lessen the sales.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Why do restaurants serve bread..?

Because people like to eat bread...?

15. whacked

whacked Senior member

from a customer's perspective, i love the offer of free bread to nibble on before the meal.

but from the business's perspective, it doesnt really make sense. dont you want them to order appetizers and desserts? bread just fills and will lessen the sales.

I think Tarmac more or less hit it on the head in an earlier post.

In America it has basically turned into something cheap which the customer can still appreciate. Customer's think of it as a free appetizer while the restaurant paid less than 35c per table for it. It reduces the complaint of "dagummit Ennis, this place has small portions!"

It typically doesn't reduce how much the table orders because patrons order while still hungry, or even before the bread arrives in many cases. And you know how Murricans love to take shit home in a bag because "dagummit we are so full rot now!"

16. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

As far as I know, I cannot say that many Italians eat potatoes.
    Many good gnocchi as well as other varieties of pasta are made with potatoes. edit: should have kept reading...sorry.

17. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

With Romanian cuisine, bread is served with every meal, it is a staple, nothing goes without it. Romanian food is somewhat poverish, a lot of the meals are inexpensive and made to simply fill you up, such as mamaliga. Thai food doesn't go with bread, last Thai restaurant I went to didn't have bread on the menu and they mentioned to my dad (who asked for it) that it is not part of the cuisine.

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll repeat myself: they serve bread so that you don't eat the "heavier" foods on an empty stomach.

Right. I will eat the bread if I'm hungry so I don't rush through the food I'm really there to enjoy. I don't fill up on the bread, and it doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the meal.

19. nandanamkgn

nandanamkgn New Member

According to my experience alwayas bread is not served in a restaurant before the meal. If the meal is highly starchy like sandwich, pasta, rice etc mostly bread is not served. Serving bread before the meal is mainly an Europian style. But I do'nt know where this is really originated. But when the food which is ordered by the person is lack of starch, bread is served to add carbohytrate to the meal. Because carbohytrate is the main resource people can get energy.............

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012