• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 "Fashionable" Articles of Clothing That Absolutely Do Not Appeal to Me

GQBaller

Reaction score
1. Skinny jeans: too feminine looking and presumably nutsack-constricting
1336707237_0f3acfde8e_o.jpg
2. Cardigans: not youthful looking (reminds me of Mr. Rogers)
mrrogers.gif
3. Wingtip shoes: the wingtip indentation patter is gaudy
31100719-177x150-0-0.jpg
4. Low cut v-neck shirts: feminine looking
serveaspmediarsacd401gsnq2.jpg
5. Converse All-Stars ("Chuck Taylors"): weird proportions; also looks like something a 2nd grader would wear in the 60's
chuck-taylors-all-stars.JPG

cgo

Reaction score
#2, 3, and 5 is not an issue for me....in fact i love them. Reason why Cardigans are not youthful looking is because ppl wears oversize cardigans.....try a slim fitting one and u'll be amazed on the diference

nbutter

Reaction score
i think this thread might create more heat and noise in the streetwear forum, no?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbutter
i think this thread might create more heat and noise in the streetwear forum, no?
Yeah, aside from wingtips, this list is likely to meet with approval here. I'm not particularly against any of these items except the low-cut v-neck. Combining all four, and choosing either wingtips or converse, would produce about the trendiest outfit one can possibly concoct.

Steggy

Reaction score
not a fan of chuck hitops unless they are white and tastefully beaten in. i always go purcell, or maybe chuck lows

wingtips - didn't like them before, but i've seen how versatile they can be, so now i would disagree with you.

deep v necks are very feminine. they were made popular by hardcore bands who would buy women's deep vnecks. It is pretty cool if they have chest pieces though then you can see them in the v. idk.

cardigans, depends on the person and fit

skinny jeans - stylish, but i feel bad for the people in them depending on the tightness.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the sweater that makes the guy in #4 look femine. Anyways stick a shirt under the thing. Wear it with a jacket. It sure won't look unmanly unless you look like that guy.

Same thing with cardigans. If they make you look old it's because you look old.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this list outside of wingtips. Chuck Taylors are fugly clown shoes.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors.

My five would be:

1) Monk Strap shoes: Can't make heads or tails out of them.
2) Skinny clothing (ties, jeans, etc): Not being skinny and finding the anorexic unappealing, why would anyone what to be bound in such tight clothing.
3) Sweaters with zippers: What's wrong with buttons? A zipper is much more likely to catch the stray loose threat and ruin the entire sweater!
4) White Belts: Just Say No!
5) Dew Rags: Popular in the motorcycle crowds (and wannabes) to keep the hair from direct contact with the helmet. I just think they look stupid.

moosy

Reaction score
You seem obsesed with not looking "feminine", maybe then the only option is a logger's outfit - very masculine.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Not sure if any of these are considered "fashionable", but here's my list anyway:

1) Suede shoes. Never understood their appeal. I don't mind other people wearing them, but wouldn't wear them myself. In fact, I think I don't like suede in general.

2) Unbuttoned shirts (with nothing under). Unless you are Bradd Pitt or Usher, stay away from this. Even if you do have the body to pull it off, it just looks tacky most of the time. This also goes for unbuttoning the two or three top buttons only.

3) White (see-trough, by intention or by accident), tight-fitting shirts and sweaters. Same reason as #2.

4) Bandanas (worn on the head or around the neck, on men--on women I don't mind them). Again, it can work if you're Hulk Hogan, Axl Rose or a bad-ass brother from the hood, but usually, no.

5) Monk straps, loafers/slip-ons and sailor/boat shoes. Not sure why, they just don't appeal to me.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can't not like loafers, they are like slippers you can wear outside, ok they are not practical in bad weather but they are the ultimate lazy shoe, no screwing around with laces and with soft leather/worn in they are incredibly comfortable.
I am with you on some of the other stuff, particularly the low V-neck t-shirts, jude law seems to wear them pretty much all the time, or at least whenever I see a picture of him in the press, and if he with movie star good looks looks like a twat in one, we can be pretty sure the rest of us will.
Also cardigans can look fine, I am wearing one now, I think it looks fine, and wingtips are a classic

JAlfredPrufrock

Reaction score
I didn't know all those things were fashionable. I own 4 out of the 5, and feel like a douche.

But objectively, as a shorter guy (5'7") skinnier jeans are better for me.
I used to be more into cardigans, and I have two. One is a little big and old man looking, the other is American Apparel and I only wear it when I'm feeling hipster.
I really don't see how you can hate on wing tips. I had no clue they were "fashionable" right now. I have a great pair of chili AE McClains, and am amazed at the versitility of them.
Low cut V-neck do look feminine by themselves. I own a bunch of white ones I use as undershirts. It's nice because it gives me an option to unbotton the top bottom of my shirt without you seeing the undershirt (I suppose regular v-necks would also accomplish this, but that doesn't seem to always be the case for me).
Converse All-Star's are OK, although the hi-top is not the way to go. I have a pair of Purcell's I like to wear, but there's nothing especially good or bad about them.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 and 3 are ok with me... the others, I must agree on.

Especially the skinny jeans, man, it looks just awful. Every time I see someone with them on I am reminded of:

david_lee_roth.jpg

Fast forward 20 years and this is where we are???

skinnyjeans.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics