• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 "Fashionable" Articles of Clothing That Absolutely Do Not Appeal to Me

JFKJean

Reaction score
I'm a very skinny guy so I feel more in proportion skinny jeans and I hate things looking loose or baggy on me....plus it gives overweight people something to shoot for/feel bad about as they eat their fattening foods.

I love cardigans, shawl collar, with prints, in a lot of different colors but I'm not a fan of the sleeveless though. I plan on getting more in the coming weeks and months.

I love the versatility of wingtips too. I usually wear them casually with jeans than dressed up.

Low cut V-neck is the one thing I can agree on here. These days I'm associating them with homosexual men, not that there is anything wrong with the 2, just not my style as I can see the same with some of you guys.

Converse All-Star's are classics. I stupidly got a mid in black when the low is the way to go. They're on the shortlist of things that will never go out of style, along with trench coats and good denim

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moosy
You seem obsesed with not looking "feminine", maybe then the only option is a logger's outfit - very masculine.

It's completely normal for a man not to want to look feminine, and there are endless options in between which aren't loggers outfits. This forum is built upon them.

Anyway, I like wingtips and cardigans. There are ways to look youthful in a cardi. Really, most types of clothing have youthful and not so youthful varieties available.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I like cardigans. I like slimmer jeans, though I agree with you about actual skinny ones like you picture. I like wingtips, though unfortunately I don't have any. I agree on the deep v neck. Showing off my chest hair isn't usually the best way for me to go.

Chuck Taylors I can go either way one. I usually prefer the low cuts though.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We must be kindred spirits. Couldn't agree more on the skinny jeans, cardigans, and v-necks. C Taylors and Wing tips I could take em or leave em.

Meursault-

Reaction score
Slim-fitting, straight leg jeans are great. Skinny jeans with absurdly tight ankle openings are horrible.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** you guys.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP: I am with you on 1 and 4, neutral on 2, and disagree rather strongly on 3 and 5.
My list (for what it's worth, and in no particular order):
1) Monk strap shoes - I dunno, I just never liked them.
2) Suit pants without cuffs - I have had a couple hemmed this way and have regretted both. they just look unfinished.
3) Long tie worn with formal attire - Call me old fashioned, but it just looks wrong, even at the Oscars.
4) Windsor knots - James Bond never trusted a man with a Windsor knot. I have to agree.
5) External logos on clothing, especially ties - Small polo players, crocodiles and the like are the least offensive, the giant ones are a sin.
5.5) (While I'm on this subject) Monograms in obvious places - If you need to differentiate your clothes for your cleaner or younger brother, put them on the inside. On the outside, you just come across as obnoxiously self important.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With most stuff, I tend to think it's a matter of the individual item -- wingtips and cardigans can be done well, or they can be done badly. I like 'em both, as a matter of general principle. I've been wearing fewer sportcoats lately in favor of more cardigans.

There aren't many things I can think of that I universally dislike. Don't care for turtlenecks, except for very chunky ones. Don't like flashy, overly stylized sportswear, or anything gaudy and conspicuous. Don't care for cutaway-collar shirts. And the appeal of high-dollar puffy vests eludes me.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Ticket Pockets
2. Wingtips ( not really fashionable)
3. Antiquing on shoes
4. Narrow Ties ( less than 3 3/4 in.)
5. Skinny suits
6. Roped shoulders

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Hasn't this been done countless times before? "Someone hates something that you like," take 45.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
1. Ticket Pockets
3. Antiquing on shoes
5. Skinny suits
6. Roped shoulders

My lord, a 3 1/2 inch tie is basically a shoelace!

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Not sure if any of these are considered "fashionable", but here's my list anyway:
5) Monk straps, loafers/slip-ons and sailor/boat shoes. Not sure why, they just don't appeal to me.

You can't lump those 3 different shoes all in that last point!
lol8[1].gif
I agree with monk straps though!

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
you can't not like loafers, they are like slippers you can wear outside [...]

Maybe that's the problem. Why would I want to wear slippers outside? Why would I want to wear something outside that looks like slippers? Shoes should have laces, unless they are cowboy boots or Chelsea boots.

Originally Posted by alexei
You can't lump those 3 different shoes all in that last point!
lol8[1].gif
I agree with monk straps though!

Why not? To me they are all the same thing (i.e. shoes I don't like)...
wink.gif
I can see why boat shoes are a different category, but monkstraps and loafers, what's the difference? They both look like slippers...
wink.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
1. Ticket Pockets
3. Antiquing on shoes
5. Skinny suits
6. Roped shoulders

Anything less than 3.75 is "narrow"?

Lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads