• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My experience with a tailor in India

lightsaber

Reaction score
It's true, most of the tailors in that part of the world are hacks. But some of them are not. If you find a serious one, the best two things you can do to get a good experience with them is 1) bring your own fabric, 2) know exactly what you want. The second part requires you to know something about suit styling, fit, and construction. Most customers don't.

For someone with conventional tastes and a certain body type, going with RTW and having minor alteration work done afterward usually makes more sense. But this idea that quality work *can't* possibly emerge from a given country is nothing but thinly veiled cultural snobbery.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
In general, when I have a suit made-to-measure (true bespoke is too expensive for me), I ALWAYS insist on the following details (please take note, Power86):

Jacket:

1.) genuine surgeon's cuffs (real working button-holes) on the sleeves

2.) pick stitching on lapels

3.) ticket pocket

4.) side vents (10" long exactly, no longer, no shorter)

5.) a personalized label with my name embroidered on it (this is usually offered at no extra cost, anyways)

Pants:

1.) (Well, I'm not picky when it comes to details on my pants--I usually ask for either single pleats or double pleats and that's about it).

Vest:

1.) pick stitching

2.) either double breasted with lapels or single breasted with lapels (the lapels are a must!!!)

pics or stfu.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by power86

wow. that's alot of comments for one day. that's a lot more detailed than i was prepared for. good to know though. i'll keep it in mind next time.

on the fabric -- it said "VERSACE" and "HUGO BOSS" on the end of the fabric roll. So they don't actually make their own fabric?? Someone mentioned that in an earlier thread\\.

Your suit fabric is polyester. Boss and Versace do not make their own fabrics.

Originally Posted by penguin vic

All those minor details are personal preference. Not sure why you think the OP should take note of your preferences for those details.

I ask for those details simply because they lend more flair to the garment; after all, since I'm having the garment made to my own specifications, it only makes sense that the garment have all the "bells and whistles" that distinguish it from an off the rack ready to wear garment (e.g. working button holes).

Originally Posted by lightsaber

It's true, most of the tailors in that part of the world are hacks. But some of them are not. If you find a serious one, the best two things you can do to get a good experience with them is 1) bring your own fabric, 2) know exactly what you want. The second part requires you to know something about suit styling, fit, and construction. Most customers don't.

For someone with conventional tastes and a certain body type, going with RTW and having minor alteration work done afterward usually makes more sense. But this idea that quality work *can't* possibly emerge from a given country is nothing but thinly veiled cultural snobbery.

I've seen enough of this sort of shoddy work on many suits on a lot of men and nothing can convince me otherwise.

Originally Posted by scruff

pics or stfu.

I don't have pictures to submit simply because I don't have a scanner. If you wish, you can email me your physical world address and I can send you some nude Polaroids of myself simply for the asking. (If you don't like this offer, then may I suggest you STFU?)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have pictures to submit simply because I don't have a scanner. If you wish, you can email me your physical world address and I can send you some nude Polaroids of myself simply for the asking. (If you don't like this offer, then may I suggest you STFU?)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'd prefer you wearing just bells and whistles. Ideally with pick-stitching, surgeons cuffs and a personalized label with your name sewn on.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

I'd prefer you wearing just bells and whistles. Ideally with pick-stitching, surgeons cuffs and a personalized label with your name sewn on.

I had a feeling that would turn you on.

My price is $25,000 for a set of 10 Polaroids, cash only, no cheques or money orders. I cannot and will not be held responsible if your wife, girlfriend, mistress, husband, boyfriend, and/or parents find them in your possession and/or on your person. All depictions of myself in said Polaroids were taken when I was at least 18 years of age and I willingly consented to having nude photos of myself taken for the sole purpose of provide erotic stimulation for flute-playing dirty old homeless men such as yourself. I look forward to receiving soon that envelope from you containing $25,000 in unmarked $5 bills. You may expect to receive the 10 Polaroids in the mail within the next 75 years. Please enjoy and remember to take a moment to fill out and return the comment card enclosed with said photos. I thank you for your continued patronage.

lightsaber

Reaction score
I've seen enough of this sort of shoddy work on many suits on a lot of men and nothing can convince me otherwise.

"I've seen a lot of Americans and every single one of them was dressed like a slob. Americans are only and always dressed like slobs and nothing can convince me otherwise". That statement has exactly the same amount of sense, and the same amount of correspondence to reality.

penguin vic

Reaction score
I ask for those details simply because they lend more flair to the garment; after all, since I'm having the garment made to my own specifications, it only makes sense that the garment have all the "bells and whistles" that distinguish it from an off the rack ready to wear garment (e.g. working button holes).

Still it doesn't make sense why you should ask the OP to take note of those personal preferences. BTW everything bar your nametag is generally available in RTW these days (yes, even those 'surgeon's' cuffs).

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightsaber

"I've seen a lot of Americans and every single one of them was dressed like a slob. Americans are only and always dressed like slobs and nothing can convince me otherwise". That statement has exactly the same amount of sense, and the same amount of correspondence to reality.

What?! You think I'm an American?! HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!?!
rotflmao.gif
I'm a Canadian, eh? We like our plaid shirts, eh? We also love our maple syrup and donairs, eh? Stephen Harper is a complete waste of skin, eh? The true north strong and free, eh?
bounce2.gif

Originally Posted by penguin vic

Still it doesn't make sense why you should ask the OP to take note of those personal preferences. BTW everything bar your nametag is generally available in RTW these days (yes, even those 'surgeon's' cuffs).

You do have a good point there, penguin vic. I've always liked those details regardless and I was just trying to inform Power86 of a few points. He definitely sounds like a newbie and I thought he could use some pointers. Besides, if he doesn't take note of what I mentioned in my post, then why should he take note of anyone else's comments, eh? That's what this board is about, right, eh? So that we can share our opinions and resources and advice, eh?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He definitely sounds like a newbie and I thought he could use some pointers. Besides, if he doesn't take note of what I mentioned in my post, then why should he take note of anyone else's comments, eh? That's what this board is about, right, eh? So that we can share our opinions and resources and advice, eh?

I say this in the kindest possible way, but you are a newbie, too. and you aren't coming off very well, frankly. this happens to a lot of people here - they happen to be the best dressed person in their one horse town, and they come on the board and mouth off a lot before they get a good grasp of where they are.

aragon765

Reaction score
You do have a good point there, penguin vic. I've always liked those details regardless and I was just trying to inform Power86 of a few points. He definitely sounds like a newbie and I thought he could use some pointers. Besides, if he doesn't take note of what I mentioned in my post, then why should he take note of anyone else's comments, eh? That's what this board is about, right, eh? So that we can share our opinions and resources and advice, eh?

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I say this in the kindest possible way, but you are a newbie, too. and you aren't coming off very well, frankly. this happens to a lot of people here - they happen to be the best dressed person in their one horse town, and they come on the board and mouth off a lot before they get a good grasp of where they are.

+1

I have never put anyone on ignore before, but this is getting close to pushing me over the edge. You (SuitMyself) started out annoying, but have become actually unreadable in your lack of logic, knowledge and class. I would suggest that you maybe read a bit and learn something about clothing before trying to impart your 'knowledge' on the newbs.

To the OP, and back on topic - I would say read and learn. There are good things to be found on these pages, but you need to ignore the blowhards (they seem to be coming out the woodwork quite a bit lately...
frown.gif
)

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
+1

I have never put anyone on ignore before, but this is getting close to pushing me over the edge. You (SuitMyself) started out annoying, but have become actually unreadable in your lack of logic, knowledge and class. I would suggest that you maybe read a bit and learn something about clothing before trying to impart your 'knowledge' on the newbs.

To the OP, and back on topic - I would say read and learn. There are good things to be found on these pages, but you need to ignore the blowhards (they seem to be coming out the woodwork quite a bit lately...
frown.gif
)

Sticks and stones, sir, sticks and stones. You can do as you wish and ignore whoever you wish. It's a free country. Besides, if you really want to put me on your ignore list, you would have done it by now rather than telling us how you are close to the edge and thinking of doing it. Go ahead. Do it. It's your choice.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

When I said Power 86 is a newbie, I did not mean a newbie on styleforum but rather, I meant him as a newbie when it comes to custom suits and made-to-measure suits. I have been wearing made-to-measure suits for well over 20 years.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I said Power 86 is a newbie, I did not mean a newbie on styleforum but rather, I meant him as a newbie when it comes to custom suits and made-to-measure suits. I have been wearing made-to-measure suits for well over 20 years.

very possibly - and I meant what I said - we were all the best dressed guys that we knew. I bought my last piece of non-bespoke tailored clothing just under 20 years ago, since then aside from a few pairs of english non-bespoke shoes everything I wear is bespoke. but I am a veritable babe in terms of clothing when compared to RJMan, and I am a complete idiot when you compare me to some of the top performers here on the forum. if you want to find a comfortable place here, tone down your voice and you should fit in.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very possibly - and I meant what I said - we were all the best dressed guys that we knew. I bought my last piece of non-bespoke tailored clothing just under 20 years ago, since then aside from a few pairs of english non-bespoke shoes everything I wear is bespoke. but I am a veritable babe in terms of clothing when compared to RJMan, and I am a complete idiot when you compare me to some of the top performers here on the forum. if you want to find a comfortable place here, tone down your voice and you should fit in.

globe is awfully polite today.

K

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads