• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear a suit and tie if you didn't have to?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to regularly once a week and on additional occasions which appear maybe once or twice a month, and overall once or twice a month I need to wear at least dress slacks with a sportocat (which I usually wear with a tie or cravate then).
I don't have a job or anything (university, blahh) I would have to dress up, that's for fraternity stuff only!
However, I have faaaaaaaaaar more suits and ties than necessary for those few formal meetings.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I probably won't be wearing dress shirts, slacks, ties, or suits, when I am at home. However, I think I will scale down my wardrobe and try to keep some great basics just so I have them. Here's what I'm thinking;
1 Black suit (funerals/formal dinners), a basic navy super 190s for summer time, charcoal pinstripe cashmere suit for winter/christmas, Tuxedo for black tie events, and a 3 sport coats and trousers for everything in between.
teacha.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Put me also in the "don't have to, but do" group.

I like the look of tailored clothing on me.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie
I don't have to, but I do. I work downtown though, so i've got ulterior motives for looking sharp.

Pan handler fetish?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not required to wear a jacket to work, but I choose to every day -- sometimes suits, sometimes sportcoat.

AJR Journal

Reaction score
I recently added up how much I have invested in my great clothing. I was shocked when it added up to the price of a new Harley-Davidson motorcycle! What was I saving them for? I decided then and there to wear a suit and tie, a sportcoat and tie, etc. every chance I get. Now, there isn't anything I can do and not be in those clothes. I love it.
Plus, when I wear them out, I get to buy more!

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
I don't have to, but I do. Why?
  • I like it. And I don't like the casual clothing I choose for myself. I can do it, but I don't think I've ever had one of those "man that looks good, I can't believe that I thought that up" moments without at least a necktie or odd jacket.
  • Packaging work as a lawyer in a BigLaw law firm. With what clients pay us, I feel like I should bear the look of a traditional lawyer, not a pizza delivery boy or the front man for a grunge band (not to imugn pizza delivery boys and grunge band front men).
  • Becuase so few wear suits, or even odd jacket and ties, anymore, to me now days wearing a suit to work seems traditionalist iconoclastic subversiveness. I like subversion. It's kind of like early Smother Brothers - the look is straight laced traditional, the rhetoric is irreverent.
    sly.gif

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
I work from home now and have no need to wear a jacket and tie. I pretty much sit in front of the computer and could stay in my underwear all day if I wanted to. What's sad is I miss wearing a good portion of my wardrobe. I even purchased a new suit, sport coat, and trousers just last week because they were such great deals (thank you SAKS!). I love tailored clothing, but don't really have a need to dress up anymore.
Is there anyone else in the same boat who is having a similar issue?
frown.gif

I work from home more often than not, and usually wear a suit and tie. It's a good way of differentiating between 'home' and 'work' when they're in the same location. And also, being in sales, I find myself feeling more confident and assertive talking to customers via phone when I'm dressed professionally. Maybe not for everyone but it works for me ...

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have to, and haven't for the past few years, but will start doing so (suit or odd jackets, but probably not ties).

free man

Reaction score
Sportcoats are fun, I don't have a job currently (college student) but I'll wear a sportcoat on nights out to somewhere public. Restaurants or concerts or something. But if I wore a suit and tie I would get alott of weird looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads