• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This micro-econ is for my MBA program... so those professors always insist on making classes way too difficult.

i totally agree.... when i got the email and the attached "calculus refresher" pdf file i almost freaked out.

i had no idea that i would need to know Calculus to be in this program. Calculus was not on the GMAT. This sucks. lol

Avoiding Calculus is the primary reason that my area of specilization is not Quantitative Finance.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Getting ready to take a microeconomics class... and the Professor sends my class an email with a Calculus review in order to prepare for the class.

I am 32 years old, not too smart and taking a microeconomics class because it interests me.

Why in the hell do i have to know anything about Calculus!?!?!?!?! F#ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am too old for this mathematics crap. What ever happened to those simple supply and demand charts?

thanks for letting me vent.

I also get pissed off when people cut the escalator line in the Port Authority. You know.. the line during rush hour that has people waiting to go down or up the escalator. Some people just cut the line. They act all slick like they dont know what they are doing. Barbarians.

Of course it depends on how the prof teaches it but in my experience calc was not needed to get a basic understanding of micro. However, if you know calc you will get more out of basic micro (talking marginal rates and derivatives etc) and it will make sense to you on a deeper level than someone who doesn't know any calc (doesnt mean you will get a worse grade).

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Just spoke with a friend who used to work at a bank. It looks like I need atleast $5000 in order to open a business account.

Anyone want to buy some blood?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Of course it depends on how the prof teaches it but in my experience calc was not needed to get a basic understanding of micro. However, if you know calc you will get more out of basic micro (talking marginal rates and derivatives etc) and it will make sense to you on a deeper level than someone who doesn't know any calc (doesnt mean you will get a worse grade).

Thanks for providing some clarity. I hope this class does not totally kick my @ss. That would really pi$$ me off.... which is relevant given the topic of this thread.

bounce2.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
This micro-econ is for my MBA program... so those professors always insist on making classes way too difficult.Avoiding Calculus is the primary reason that my area of specilization is not Quantitative Finance.

Speaking from experience, the basic MBA microeconomics (sometimes referred to as Managerial Economics or something else) is supposed to be like undergraduate Intermediate Microeconomics. So if this is your MBA class (and taught for you) rather than a 101 class from the Econ dept, you should expect the class to be harder than intro.

Why calculus? Because it will help you not have to do tedious math and focus on concepts. For instance, calculating a basic demand elasticity takes about 10 seconds using calculus while it takes at least a couple minutes using "basic" math. The calculus answer is also accurate no matter the funcitonal form of the demand curve. The basic math version requires an approximation in many cases. Being able to do the math faster allows you to focus on what the number means. That you do not remember (or know) calculus is your failing, imo. Do the refresher. A single derivative is quite easy and should be all you're required to master.

As to your claim that the classes are made harder, let me just say that in my experience that is not true.

b

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
superfuture...

It runs really slow, and sucks compared to the last version. Also, people neg rep you and offer little to no commentary or constructive criticism.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
either my wife, or myself, lost car parking stickers worth about 200 bucks. very annoying. she believes she gave them to me, I don't remember, and think that she intended to. so, either I am becoming forgettful - which pisses me off, or she lost them, which pisses me off.

so, I am pissed off.

so my wife called the place where we get the stickers, and they said that parking enforcement wouldn't be in place until feb, so my wife put off getting new stickers.

and this morning I go out and find that my car has been towed. so this $200 mistake is now a $350 mistake.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I inherited a staff member who is a chronic excuse maker. Really, really bad (his old boss finally stuck him with a warning letter in his file). My turn to try to salvage him.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so my wife called the place where we get the stickers, and they said that parking enforcement wouldn't be in place until feb, so my wife put off getting new stickers.

and this morning I go out and find that my car has been towed. so this $200 mistake is now a $350 mistake.

damn globe, you need to see the Public Transport thread

K

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I ordered flowers last night with the special instruction to deliver before noon or right at noon today. I called to check up on delivery status to make sure they'd be okay, and they won't deliver until 2 or 3.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I inherited a staff member who is a chronic excuse maker. Really, really bad (his old boss finally stuck him with a warning letter in his file). My turn to try to salvage him.

get rid of his as soon as possible. when I finally got rid of all the people I inherited, it was such a fantastic weight off my shoulders.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get rid of his as soon as possible. when I finally got rid of all the people I inherited, it was such a fantastic weight off my shoulders.

You actually just killed them, didn't you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You actually just killed them, didn't you.

I killed them, froze them, and ate them over a few months to savor the pleasure slowly.....

no, actually, I have inherited bad people over the years (and I've hired at least one bad person over the years). they usually aren't evil, they just are incompetant, or can't do things my way, and the faster I get rid of them, the happier everybody (and by that I really mean me) is. It really isn't kind to stretch it out, you can usually tell if they are willing to turn around or not.

the worst thing is that I know people now like to pawn off their incompotants onto me, cause I will get rid of them and save them the effort.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

globe - it's been on my mind. I do have a feeling the subsequent discipline won't be too challenging to document here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads