• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing my own taste?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright - I'll actually try to help.

What do you want to wear to class / to bars / to parties?

I don't want to recommend a blazer when everyone around you is wearing FuBu. Give us an idea of your surroundings and fellow classmates, as well as locale.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Alright - I'll actually try to help.

What do you want to wear to class / to bars / to parties?

I don't want to recommend a blazer when everyone around you is wearing FuBu. Give us an idea of your surroundings and fellow classmates, as well as locale.

I would LOVE some help as well (am building my basic wardrobe). But first you can help him since he asked first. I will follow your postings on this thread and ask questions if I have any.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
you need to wear clothing made by rubinacci and make your apartment look like a cold and sanitary DWR to develop your own taste. or some prefer dressing like james bond. also buy ralph lauren suits without ever trying them on. we're all so unique around these parts.

Which model of suit (you've never seen or tried on) would you recommend I buy (sight unseen) to be a well dressed gentleman?

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ImKant

3. To look good, you have to follow the trends. Is this true?

No.

Looking good is all about fit and confidence.

Don't consider expensive brands but rather well made clothes...If the clothes are well made using quality fabric then the high price is (usually) justified.

There are things you can skimp on like shirts, sweaters, belts, ties, etc; but for me 2 things one should never skimp on is shoes and pants.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Which model of suit (you've never seen or tried on) would you recommend I buy (sight unseen) to be a well dressed gentleman?

Tom Ford MTM.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
No.

Looking good is all about fit and confidence.

Don't consider expensive brands but rather well made clothes...If the clothes are well made using quality fabric then the high price is (usually) justified.

There are things you can skimp on like shirts, sweaters, belts, ties, etc; but for me 2 things one should never skimp on is shoes and pants.

I wouldn't skimp on shirts, ties or belts either.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Brown tweed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps it is due to a lack of talent, but I find that it helps to judiciously limit yourself to encourage development of your style. Worry less about trying everything, and pick a 'format' to start playing around with instead.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Brown tweed.

+ a nice rep tie and some brown english shoes. This should be recommended to almost anyone joining:

-Hi, I'm a 17 y/o female student from Singapore that want something fashonable to wear when going out, can you guys help me?

-I recommend a brown tweed jacket paired with a crisp white or blue shirt, a rep tie and some grey flannel pants and brown wingtips (preferably EG or C&J). Make sure everything fits and projects a professional image, *****.

ImKant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Create a budget for yourself. Then really plan out what you want to get in categories-- for example, maybe you want three pairs of chinos so you don't wear jeans every day. Take some time to explore before you buy; I mention this because there are several archived threads about "what do you regret purchasing when you were new to this whole thing" floating around. The fit is crucial; find out what to look for in a pair of pants or a shirt that actually fits you.
Really? I know it's important that you buy clothes that are your size, but I didn't know it would be that big of a deal if it's a little smaller or larger than you should actually have. Well, I suppose this is going to be more difficult than I thought.
tounge.gif
I can always ask the people in the clothes store if something fits or not, but they are probably looking out to sell anything, or can they be trusted with this the most of the time?
you need to wear clothing made by rubinacci and make your apartment look like a cold and sanitary DWR to develop your own taste. or some prefer dressing like james bond. also buy ralph lauren suits without ever trying them on. we're all so unique around these parts.
Ok, well, if you say so..
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Berticus
The great thing about clothes is you don't necessarily need to buy it to try it. The point is you need increased exposure. So look at pictures around the forum whenever someone posts and actually actively observe what they are wearing. Another thing you could do is when you go shopping, try a lot of different outfits on. You don't necessarily have to buy something to try it on. Do the same thing with the pictures, actively observe what you are wearing. Once you start observing clothes, it shouldn't take long for it to become natural, you'll start to see you tend to favor a particular style. Naturally, that's the style that you like.
Thanks for the tip, I will do that. I'll watch pictures here in the WAYW topics and look for GQ ads and post again in a while whether or not I have made progress or not. The problem is, I suppose, that I don't really care about what I wear, as long as it's not that expensive and it looks good.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Alright - I'll actually try to help. What do you want to wear to class / to bars / to parties? I don't want to recommend a blazer when everyone around you is wearing FuBu. Give us an idea of your surroundings and fellow classmates, as well as locale.
The people around me basically wear anything at H&M or Jack & Jones: http://jackjones.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10051 I suppose shoes and jeans are a priority for me, at the moment. I'm wearing white all stars and a slightly 'baggy' H&M jeans right now, with a light brown belt and a plain brown long-sleeved t-shirt.
Originally Posted by merkur
Hehe, exactly. Well, in the past in didn't really matter to me. It mattered to her more. And at the moment it's the best I can do right now. EDIT: I mean, what I buy though. Not what I wear.
Originally Posted by underwearer
No. Looking good is all about fit and confidence. Don't consider expensive brands but rather well made clothes...If the clothes are well made using quality fabric then the high price is (usually) justified. There are things you can skimp on like shirts, sweaters, belts, ties, etc; but for me 2 things one should never skimp on is shoes and pants.
Ok, thank you for answering my question! And thanks for the tip. As I've said, then shoes and pants are priority now. Now I have to find out what makes 'well made clothes' 'well made'.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am starting with the basic shirts - white, 2-3 shades of blue and 2 shades of grey. These will be quite versatile.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you need to wear clothing made by rubinacci and make your apartment look like a cold and sanitary DWR to develop your own taste.

I suppose you prefer Hugo Boss and Pottern Barn? Give me 'cold and sanitary' over 'warm and cozy' any day.

Originally Posted by mkarim
I am starting with the basic shirts - white, 2-3 shades of blue and 2 shades of grey. These will be quite versatile.

I don't know how versatile a grey shirt is, but that's a been a point of controversy around these parts.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I suppose you prefer Hugo Boss and Pottern Barn? Give me 'cold and sanitary' over 'warm and cozy' any day.
Sorry. You just don't get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads