• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing my own taste?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Some of us pick the furniture then look for the best price on it. We don't emulate catalogs. I don't imagine prices and "looks", or buy labels.

Who exactly are you talking at right now? Did I not just mention that I went with Highbrow to save on our sofa? From the sounds of it, you're just bashing something to give yourself a false sense of distinction. Some would call that 'snobbery'.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Who exactly are you talking at right now? Did I not just mention that I went with Highbrow to save on our sofa? From the sounds of it, you're just bashing something to give yourself a false sense of distinction. Some would call that 'snobbery'.
You make some sort of accusation of me imagining a DWR look and the highbrow discount not being there. Eitherway, highbrow was one store thrown out there and the chairs I was looking at had the substantial discount before the 10% reduction. I was talking to you. I quoted you. I hope I've removed all doubts there. As for snobbery...well it's hard for you to shake that label on here I'm sure, but I bet you paid good money for it and it was in some catalog somewhere. Zinger.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You make some sort of accusation of me imagining a DWR look and the highbrow discount not being there. Eitherway, highbrow was one store thrown out there and the chairs I was looking at had the substantial discount before the 10% reduction.

I was talking to you. I quoted you. I hope I've removed all doubts there.

As for snobbery...well it's hard for you to shake that label on here I'm sure, but I bet you paid good money for it and it was in some catalog somewhere. Zinger.

Seriously, what the hell is up with you? If you had something substantively critical to say about my style or lack thereof, you would have done so by now. Instead, you appear content to fixate on the labels that I buy and accuse me of doing the same.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Seriously, what the hell is up with you? If you had something substantively critical to say about my style or lack thereof, you would have done so by now. Instead, you appear content to fixate on the labels that I buy and accuse me of doing the same.
You confuse me. I wish you were friendly.
frown.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Dear Mafoo, you have more money to spend than me and I'm jealous, therefore your stuff is **** and boring.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
Dear Mafoo, you have more money to spend than me and I'm jealous, therefore your stuff is **** and boring.
You guys get weirder with each passing day.

ImKant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Check out H&M and Uniqlo if they have them near you, just stay away from H&M Logg stuff which is kind of cheap. I got a nice lambswool sweater form H&M for $40 last year in NY the fit is spot on, especially in the arms which are nice and slim something hard to find in a cheap sweater. As far as pants its hard to find cheap wool slacks that are decent for under $100...Chinos can be tricky fitwise, most are trad military fit with crotch and seat rises that are out of this world. Save khaki, Penguin Rockwood Heritage, and Calvin Klein Bryant chinos all have decent slim/modern fits for around $100.(I actually just bought a pair of CK bryant chinos for $13 off thier website) For jeans you can't go wrong with APC or Levis Capital E or even thier shrink-to-fits are pretty nice. Stay away from jeans that have huge horeshoe patterns on the ass...Shoes don't go cheap, for $150 on Ebay you can get a nice pair of Allen Edmonds which are classic and well made and about as cheap you can get for the quality.

There is no Uniqlo here. At least, not that I know of. Thanks for the jeans and the shoes tip! I didn't expect they would come cheap.

Further help from you guys is much appreciated.
smile.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
You guys get weirder with each passing day.

Your posts like so many others bash Mafoo for his furniture and clothing choices. So he spends lots of money on stuff that at least to the forum is well known, it's his money to do what he chooses and to him the stuff looks good. He has made a conscious choice to buy these items and to me has picked his style.

The constant attcks on what Mafoo chooses smack of jealousy at the money he spends. My apologies if that's not the case, but your arguments so far just don't seem like anything else.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
Your posts like so many others bash Mafoo for his furniture and clothing choices. So he spends lots of money on stuff that at least to the forum is well known, it's his money to do what he chooses and to him the stuff looks good. He has made a conscious choice to buy these items and to me has picked his style. The constant attcks on what Mafoo chooses smack of jealousy at the money he spends. My apologies if that's not the case, but your arguments so far just don't seem like anything else.
Your apology is accepted since that is not the case. How'd that feel though? Getting on that soap box, running your mouth and then apologizing. Must be something.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your apology is accepted since that is not the case. How'd that feel though? Getting on that soap box, running your mouth and then apologizing. Must be something.

Can't we all just get along?

EnglishGent

Reaction score

I wasn't on a soap box, just a dumb comment to go along with your dumb comments. The apology was somewhat tongue in cheek as your agruments against Mafoo's choices have been awful.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Err, you're the one who started with a snide comment about Rubinacci and DWR.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ImKant
Really? I know it's important that you buy clothes that are your size, but I didn't know it would be that big of a deal if it's a little smaller or larger than you should actually have. Well, I suppose this is going to be more difficult than I thought.
tounge.gif
I can always ask the people in the clothes store if something fits or not, but they are probably looking out to sell anything, or can they be trusted with this the most of the time?

At the low end, generally not.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that. I'll watch pictures here in the WAYW topics and look for GQ ads and post again in a while whether or not I have made progress or not. The problem is, I suppose, that I don't really care about what I wear, as long as it's not that expensive and it looks good.
You speak for the typical guy, which is why he seldom posts here.

The people around me basically wear anything at H&M or Jack & Jones:

http://jackjones.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10051

I suppose shoes and jeans are a priority for me, at the moment.

I'm wearing white all stars and a slightly 'baggy' H&M jeans right now, with a light brown belt and a plain brown long-sleeved t-shirt.

Hehe, exactly. Well, in the past in didn't really matter to me. It mattered to her more. And at the moment it's the best I can do right now.

EDIT: I mean, what I buy though. Not what I wear.

Ok, thank you for answering my question! And thanks for the tip. As I've said, then shoes and pants are priority now. Now I have to find out what makes 'well made clothes' 'well made'.

But do you care? Is there somebody famous whose style you would like to emulate to an extent?

To answer your question about color psychology...
There are many sources about it. Popular books on it are not particularly useful for men. Websites such as http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psyprop.html get enough right to be helpful. However, within any color family, shades and other properties vary. For example, sky blue and dull navy have very different effects. Any type of red on a man probably will be more attention-getting than usual, it so happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads