• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing my own taste?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I am starting with the basic shirts - white, 2-3 shades of blue and 2 shades of grey. These will be quite versatile.

I don't think you need two grays.

I would get a white, light blue, blue/white stripe, another stripe, some kind of check, a pink, and a gray if you insist.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Sorry. You just don't get it.

Maybe I don't. But what the heck is up with the DWR hate? It's just a store; most of the things they sell are classics you can easily find elsewhere. People talk about it like it's some sort of brand in and of itself.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe I don't. But what the heck is up with the DWR hate? It's just a store; most of the things they sell are classics you can easily find elsewhere. People talk about it like it's some sort of brand in and of itself.
I think teh Teplitz put out a fatwah against them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I don't think you need two grays.

I would get a white, light blue, blue/white stripe, another stripe, some kind of check, a pink, and a gray if you insist.

Yes, one (light) grey would probably work.

I forgot. I also have a nice blue/white striped shirt (from Boss, have not worn it) and a really nice pink one (from Theory). I overpaid for the pink one but I get compliments on it every time.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out H&M and Uniqlo if they have them near you, just stay away from H&M Logg stuff which is kind of cheap. I got a nice lambswool sweater form H&M for $40 last year in NY the fit is spot on, especially in the arms which are nice and slim something hard to find in a cheap sweater. As far as pants its hard to find cheap wool slacks that are decent for under $100...Chinos can be tricky fitwise, most are trad military fit with crotch and seat rises that are out of this world. Save khaki, Penguin Rockwood Heritage, and Calvin Klein Bryant chinos all have decent slim/modern fits for around $100.(I actually just bought a pair of CK bryant chinos for $13 off thier website) For jeans you can't go wrong with APC or Levis Capital E or even thier shrink-to-fits are pretty nice. Stay away from jeans that have huge horeshoe patterns on the ass...Shoes don't go cheap, for $150 on Ebay you can get a nice pair of Allen Edmonds which are classic and well made and about as cheap you can get for the quality.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Check out H&M and Uniqlo if they have them near you, just stay away from H&M Logg stuff which is kind of cheap. I got a nice lambswool sweater form H&M for $40 last year in NY the fit is spot on, especially in the arms which are nice and slim something hard to find in a cheap sweater. As far as pants its hard to find cheap wool slacks that are decent for under $100...Chinos can be tricky fitwise, most are trad military fit with crotch and seat rises that are out of this world. Save khaki, Penquin Rockwood Heritage, and Calvin Klein Bryant chinos all have decent slim/modern fits for around $100. .

I will check out H&M but have just ordered from TM Lewin. I'll see how that works.

For jeans you can't go wrong with APC or Levis Captal E or even thier shrink-to-fits are pretty nice. .

I have Levi's Skinner and they are a great fit.

Stay away from jeans that have huge horeshoe patterns on the ass.
You mean True Religions with embrioidery and busy artwork on back pockets are out?
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, one (light) grey would probably work.

I forgot. I also have a nice blue/white striped shirt (from Boss, have not worn it) and a really nice pink one (from Theory). I overpaid for the pink one but I get compliments on it every time.

I have a working theory that any time a guy wears a pink shirt, at least one person will compliment it--not to say your pink shirt isn't perfectly nice.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to say your pink shirt isn't perfectly nice.

Thanks for letting me down easy...
smile.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a store, it sucks. It's overpriced and doesn't have a large selection. There are a million other places with better pricing and selection. As for the merchandise it offers, I'd rather not lack originality and purchase something everyone else has, throw it together just like a picture in the catalog, and then sit there in a cold sanitized space. Perhaps you should look into Hugo Boss furniture if they make it. Do you get the joke yet or no?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me down easy...
smile.gif

Oh, just ignore me when I bash anything pink or lavender. I have an unreasonable distaste for them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a store, it sucks. It's overpriced and doesn't have a large selection. There are a million other places with better pricing and selection.

As for the merchandise it offers, I'd rather not lack originality and purchase something everyone else has, throw it together just like a picture in the catalog, and then sit there in a cold sanitized space.

Overpriced? Their prices are the same as everyone else's on the same things. And if you are looking for a wide selection of modern classics, you could do far worse. Their weakness is their contemporary selection.

Everyone has the stuff sold at DWR? Regardless of recent trend, most people still haven't embraced expensive modern furniture--the Styleforum membership is not a good proxy for the world at large. You might as well surmise that everyone wears knit ties.

Anyway, I reject 'cold' and 'sanitized' as legitimate aesthetic criticisms. Where you see 'cold', I might see orderly and efficient. Where you see 'sanitized', I might see logical and pure. We could go on and on. It's not like I choose furniture to look 'cold' and 'sanitized', it's just that I find comfort in something different than what you do.

Perhaps you should look into Hugo Boss furniture if they make it. Do you get the joke yet or no?

I guess not.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overpriced? Their prices are the same as everyone else's on the same things. And if you are looking for a wide selection of modern classics, you could do far worse. Their weakness is their contemporary selection. Everyone has the stuff sold at DWR? Regardless of recent trend, most people still haven't embraced expensive modern furniture--the Styleforum membership is not a good proxy for the world at large. You might as well surmise that everyone wears knit ties. Anyway, I reject 'cold' and 'sanitized' as legitimate aesthetic criticisms. Where you see 'cold', I might see orderly and efficient. Where you see 'sanitized', I might see logical and pure. We could go on and on. It's not like I choose furniture to look 'cold' and 'sanitized', it's just that I find comfort in something different than what you do. I guess not.
Just because you say so, does not make it so. I have priced out many items through DWR and Highbrow for example and Highbrow wins. Even today I looked at chairs that were 25% higher in price at DWR. And yes a lot of people shop at DWR and have their furniture. And when you walk into their apartments you can't help but think they shop at the McDonalds of furniture. Had they picked original pieces, vintage pieces, pieces that meshed it would be different. Sorry you don't get it. There is more to having your own taste than buying labels.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just because you say so, does not make it so. I have priced out many items through DWR and Highbrow for example and Highbrow wins. Even today I looked at chairs that were 25% higher in price at DWR.

And yes a lot of people shop at DWR and have their furniture. And when you walk into their apartments you can't help but think they shop at the McDonalds of furniture. Had they picked original pieces, vintage pieces, pieces that meshed it would be different.

I am surprised to hear that you are seeing such a discrepancy between the publicly posted prices at DWR and Highbrow since they are both licensed dealers of the same products. We bought our Florence Knoll sofa through Highbrow, so I am aware of their customary discount. But it is far from the 25% difference you are reporting, and you have to ask for it. But then, who knows. I haven't shopped at either in a few months.

The irony of your position is that Highbrow and DWR have a huge overlap in product selection, and I believe DWR easily wins in terms of breadth. It seems to me you've imagined a DWR 'look' that is really just a collection of stuff you sound happy to purchase elsewhere.

Sorry you don't get it. There is more to having your own taste than buying labels.

Maybe I didn't get it because I don't try to develop my taste by buying labels.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't get it because I don't try to develop my taste by buying labels.

<insert cheap shot here.>

"It's all in good fun laddie."

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that you are seeing such a discrepancy between the publicly posted prices at DWR and Highbrow since they are both licensed dealers of the same products. We bought our Florence Knoll sofa through Highbrow, so I am aware of their customary discount. But it is far from the 25% difference you are reporting, and you have to ask for it. But then, who knows. I haven't shopped at either in a few months. The irony of your position is that Highbrow and DWR have a huge overlap in product selection, and I believe DWR easily wins in terms of breadth. It seems to me you've imagined a DWR 'look' that is really just a collection of stuff you sound happy to purchase elsewhere. Maybe I didn't get it because I don't try to develop my taste by buying labels.
Some of us pick the furniture then look for the best price on it. We don't emulate catalogs. I don't imagine prices and "looks", or buy labels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads