• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

guide to touching up your suit without wrecking it

penguin vic

Reaction score
worship.gif

Aside from the very useful info, the fit of the suit in the pics is truly excellent too.

tintindeo

Reaction score
all dry cleaners should be forced to memorize this procedure and then tested to the point of certification; if they don't pass, a pink faceplate of an iron ought be painted on their shop window; if they pass perhaps just a make the irons' faceplate blue w/a date of their last surprise test...for that matter, is there any org/high quality garment care mafia, ( like the kosher-foood-mafia-of-my-so-called-people), in existence ?

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
worship.gif

Aside from the very useful info, the fit of the suit in the pics is truly excellent too.

According to his blog, he made it himself.
worship.gif

BeauDiddley

Reaction score
Many, many thanks, Jefferyd; you are a master.
This is what makes SF the valuable resource it is - sound advice from people who really know that of which they speak.
Respect.
Beau

R-H

Reaction score
Very interesting article but there is a point where possessions start ruling our lives.

If my suits need a good pressing I'll take it to a professional. Minor wrinkling gets a little blast from the steamer at home. Probably not the optimal way of doing things but I don't live to serve my wardrobe.

Clothes should be enjoyed.

-

That Prince of Wales check jacket is great btw.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crpz32
According to his blog, he made it himself.
worship.gif

Shhh- now I'll have all the rope-shoulder haters dumping on me!

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
jefferyd

Thank you very much for taking a great deal of time for this excellent post.
smile.gif
Just as Doc Holliday made us here aware of your great canvass thread at AAAC, I've reposted this thread in AAAC where members can benefit from this and where I hope it will become incorporated into the HOF, joining your canvass thread. Your instructions, along with Kabbaz's instructions for cleaning, spot-cleaning, and ironing a shirt, are very informative and useful.

I assume that we should hand-press our suits only if we brush them after each wear and make sure that we have removed any stains, either by sponging or spot dry cleaning. In 2 email conversations with Anderson and Sheppard I learned that they have two kinds of sponging, one for when they originally make a suit, the other for stain removal. When they make a suit, the sponging is done with a dolly, a small piece of rolled cloth tied with string, to which they add tap water and then apply to a suit before hand pressing with a flat iron. But for cleaning, sponging for a light stain entails a little water dabbed to the area, followed by brushing, gently for lightweight cloths, more vigorously for heavier flannels and tweeds, in the direction of the cloth's pile. For a deeper stain then brushing with and against the pile is the method used.

For general brushing, do you recommend going with the pile first, then against the pile, and do you recommend brushing both inside and outside the suit?

newtrane

Reaction score
jefferyd: I like your post and your garments - May I ask who makes your clothes?

Many thanks!

greyinla

Reaction score
If my suits need a good pressing I'll take it to a professional.
Ah, but the problem is *finding* a professional. Dry cleaners who can hand finish a suit, good cobblers, good tailors--all these are rare, and, in some cities, non-existent. I've had a few items butchered by so-called "professionals" on the way to finding ones who actually knew what they were doing. It's good to know how to do things on one's own, even if one hires out. Thanks Jeffreyd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads