• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Royce Automobiles.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
If I were to purchase one, it would be either a 1963 Silver Cloud III SCT 100 or a new Hyperion Coupe.

Originally Posted by zjpj83
Hyperion was a one-off (and not a coupe).

Originally Posted by von Rothbart
It looks like a coupe to me.

It was really a Pininfarina-Rolls Royce project and it most certainly is a coupe.
I mean, it's based on the phantom drop-head coupe.

If it's not a coupe, then what would you classify it as?

Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
People tend to have wonky interpretations of the word coupe these days. A lot of people tend to associate it with a "hardtop" 2-door, 2-seat car, and tend to treat the convertible version as a separate entity calling it a "convertible" or "roadster". We're all probably better off using proper British/French names for things (as they tend to still have such things).

Originally Posted by Journeyman
A cabriolet?

I'm not going to quote you the dictionary here, but all definitions of "coupe" that I've ever seen are of a hard-top vehicle. Significantly, I've seen "cabriolet" defined as "a convertible coupe" which would seem to indicate that a coupe is, by definition, not convertible.

Let's call it a coupe-convertible then
smile.gif

Just to add some confusion to this whole affair, please consider that the terms were developed long before cars were on the roads. The names came from the days of horse-drawn coaches. However, in the original automotive coachbuilder's parlance:

A landau is an open chauffer-driven car easily identified by the folding top's external hinged arms (sometimes referred to as "landau bars.") The chauffeur's area is separated from the passenger area by a bulkhead. Typically, a landau is made for four passengers seated upon two bench style seats. Originally, the seats faced each other. Later, most landaus were built with both seat rows facing forward. The landau's folding top can extend forward to cover the chauffeur's area in poor weather conditions.

CoupÃ
00a9.png
s must be chauffeur-driven just as a landau. All coupÃ
00a9.png
s have an open driver's compartment separate from the passenger area just as a landau. If it rains, the chauffeur is going to get wet. All coupÃ
00a9.png
s are strictly for two passengers on a single bench style seat. A folding top (drop-head) with external landau-type hinged arms or a fixed roof shelters the passengers. Traditionally, a coupÃ
00a9.png
really has distinct passenger area doors.

A cabriolet is a two or four passenger open car with a folding top characterized by the absence of external landau arms. The body may have either two or four doors. Driver and passenger areas blur in distinction since a chauffeur is not always utilized and no bulkhead separates the driver's area from the passengers.

A roadster is an open car of two or four seats and no top at all or having top/frame components usually stored in the luggage area and only assembled/installed as necessary. More often than not roadsters have no permanent side windows. Plastic and/or fabric side curtains can be installed on the door's upper edge when the top is fitted.

A spider/spyder is simply an open car with multi-tubular framework to support the body. No particular style of top is identified as belonging to spider/spyder.

A convertible (one supposes) is the lazy man's way of covering all bases in describing cars that lack a permanently fixed roof.

Of course, all these terms went out the window and into the dust heap when cars went into mass production. The chauffeur and dividing bulkhead quickly became anachronisms and open cars were whatever you wanted to call them. A quick Google image search will make your head spin with so many contradictory photo captions. Traditions change with the times.

___

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LK exhibits a particular penchant for old cars whose upkeep requires an open credit line
laugh.gif

hypersonic

Reaction score
I like the new Phantom CoupÃ
00a9.png
-- sure, it is flashy and totally 'wrong' on so may levels
tounge.gif
...but it's beautifully made and is very special.

img06pop.jpg

img02pop.jpg

img33pop.jpg

img31pop.jpg

img22pop.jpg

img03pop.jpg

The twinkling lights on the roof are fun
img19pop.jpg

img07pop.jpg

img10pop.jpg

img08pop.jpg

img15pop.jpg

img16pop.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^ OMG that car is hideous and wrong and gauche and I want one really REALLY badly now.

*sigh*

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The new ones are so ******* horrible, I hate them.

even with the sparkly roof??? That clinches the deal for me!

hypersonic

Reaction score
Sure, they are not beautiful
...one of my neighbours has a silver one (4-door model), it is an impressive machine.
fu13e9.jpg

The Bentley Brooklands is very nice looking I think. Very old fashioned though.
29b0pys.jpg

2lm79rp.jpg

2j60305.jpg

246tnv9.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
even with the sparkly roof??? That clinches the deal for me!

Just needs a disco ball.

Don't get me wrong, if I were (a) David Beckham or (b) a sheikh, they'd be lovely. Otherwise, they are just giant, hideous land boats. They will not age well.

The Bentley Brooklands, by contrast, is gorgeous. Reminds me of its predecessor.

1953bentleyrtypecontinemi5.jpg

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never cared for the look of new RR (sedan or coupe).
This, however, is a different proposition
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Call me a snob...but the deal-breaker for me on these new RR cars...is that they will be jumped on by every second-rate (does first-rate even exist) hip-hop artist type. For that sole reason, i wouldn't be caught even looking at one.

hypersonic

Reaction score
^ I don't know if that is snobbery but it isn't a very good reason for not owning one.

One can project any number of 'contexts' onto the brand -- it is a universally recognized symbol of wealth and social rank ...but it also has a multitude of cultural contexts.

I must say however, that I can not even imagine the Queen of England being driven around in the "gangsta" new Phantom -- this car is really more intended for self-made billionaire oligarchs rather than royalty -- this is reflective of the power shift that has occurred over the past 30-40 years -- it is a true 21st century Rolls-Royce in this regard.
rh964z.jpg

Now this is a truly 'blue-blooded' Rolls-Royce of the old school -- however, the world this car was created for no longer exists.

Phantom VI (production 1968-1992)
huhr8j.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, I can define the differences between these cars in terms of gansgta rap.

For instance, 50 Cent/Lil Wayne/Jay-Z might drive this
rh964z.jpg

However, the car below is more old school. N.W.A. would take this to their next gig, while reprising their hits "Straight out of the Chateau Marmont", and "F*ck tha Chauffeur".
huhr8j.jpg
[/quote]

GTR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
I must say however, that I can not even imagine the Queen of England being driven around in the "gangsta" new Phantom -- this car is really more intended for self-made billionaire oligarchs rather than royalty -- this is reflective of the power shift that has occurred over the past 30-40 years -- it is a true 21st century Rolls-Royce in this regard.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually, I can define the differences between these cars in terms of gansgta rap.

It could be worse

bapephantomye2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads