Rolls Royce Automobiles.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Sep 23, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Rolls Royce cars all seem to have that unattractive black steering wheel. They almost look like an afterthought.

Aside from the rather low MPG, I don't see any issue with driving one of these as a daily car.

2. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Rolls Royce cars all seem to have that unattractive black steering wheel. They almost look like an afterthought. Aside from the rather low MPG, I don't see any issue with driving one of these as a daily car.
    It looks like something from an 81' Datsun. I was really expecting something a little more luxurious. With that said, an aftermarket grain steering wheel could still be added.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I suspect they imply an idiosyncrasy with which most people are uncomfortable -- but for you LK, just the thing for carting exotic hides and ivories whilst smoking rare tobaccos and sneering at proletarian haberdashery or lumpen architecture ...

Also great for a big-ass, old-fashioned carphone, I should think! [​IMG]

Definitely an integareted carphone system with a big antenna.

Some of the '70s Rolls Royces also have an original 8-Track system.

4. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

I was planning some social coquettry around it - not mistreating it, but rather treating it as I treat my old Volvo now - just a regular car.

Lucky Strike's idea is a good one. To combat the slightly pretentious image, one must treat the car as any other old thing.

What you are proposing is quite similar to the manner in which Trevanian's character, Nikolai Hel, treated his Volvo in Shibumi much to the consternation of the Basque villagers near his mountain retreat.

Hel simply went one step further. Everyone knew he afford a Rolls, yet he elected drive a Volvo wagon.

___

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Every cheap Rolls Royce pictured here will be an absolute money pit. It may cost as much as a Honda Civic, but you'd better have twice that amount in your pocket for mechanic fees.

6. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Maybe it's because I'm living in Germany, but the only Mercedes I can think of that would make people turn their heads like a RR would (and the fed. office for protection of the const. as well) is that one: [​IMG] If the RR would come with a valet I would gladly...be chauffeured^^.

7. DF-Beyond-Devil

DF-Beyond-Devil New Member

Rolls royce are one of my fav cars.. but they're extremely expensive

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Every cheap Rolls Royce pictured here will be an absolute money pit. It may cost as much as a Honda Civic, but you'd better have twice that amount in your pocket for mechanic fees.
    Yes, the routine maintenance costs are high, and any repair or parts replacement will be astronomical.

9. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Outside of the high miles and gawd awful steering wheel, that car is a major buy for the money. I can't believe it's going for less than $10 grand.

+1. I'll take the house in the background too.

10. ms244

ms244 Senior member

Whats the actual maintenance on it look like and is there a source for parts and repair advice?

I'm guessing electronics are vintage era brit stuff (ie Lucas, pre-Bosch) so that might be an issue.

Other then that I'm not sure what could go wrong on the car that a set of metric wrenches can't fix. They are all pretty similar under the hood.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One has to wonder whether an old Rolls Royce is really that expensive to maintain. Provided that the example has a fine mechanical service history, I don't see why it has to be any more expensive to maintain than any other period luxury vehicle; Mercedes charges $500+ for a plastic headlamp surround for my car.

12. Full Canvas

I'm guessing electronics are vintage era brit stuff (ie Lucas, pre-Bosch) so that might be an issue.

Many of the electrical parts are actually U.S. Delco (General Motors) and retain the Delco identification (example: electric motors for the power seats). Sourcing these items over the counter at GM or Napa wearhouses can reduce costs significantly. The same holds true for many mechanical ancillary parts.

Of course, some authorized dealers and independent repair shops already know this. They purchase at Napa and offer the customer a "big discount off Rolls list price" while realizing a very healthy profit.

___

13. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

I can imagine the scariest maintenance/replacement expenses being related to the powertrain. Finding someone that can work on those old motors (6.75L ?) would be a hassle and imagine the cost of a replacement transmission...

On a side note: Wouldn't it be funny if the tranny ended up being GM-sourced as well? I could almost see them doing something like that.

14. ms244

ms244 Senior member

GM stuff is not bad. A turbo400 or turbo700 automatic (and their derivatives) are pretty hard to kill and not a bad choice. BMW used some GM sourced automatics until recently (IIRC). And almost anything is better then the old Lucas electrics. If you can get a set of repair manuals and a cross-reference for the parts I think there is a chance you could up keep one for a relatively minimal cost. ETA from this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic
    So aside from pulling the tranny out, rebuild costs should be minimal and parts and repair avaliable at almost any normal tranny shop..

15. Full Canvas

On a side note: Wouldn't it be funny if the tranny ended up being GM-sourced as well? I could almost see them doing something like that.

Many of the 70s and 80s Wraiths, Silver Spurs, and Silver Shadows did, in fact, use GM sourced automatic transmissions as well alternators and air conditioning compressors.

___