• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ok, what would get you to become violent?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
1) Raise my taxes
2) Criticize my pictures of foie gras
3) Insult my wine

I can't think of much else that I would get violent over.

Jesus. I've done two of the three. *Gulp*

Nonk

Reaction score
I was actuallly in a fist fight recently, of which I am not proud, but he was a bully type who did threaten me violence repeatedly, so I got in first to defend myself and I was quite severely mentally ill at the time, so it doesn't really count. (in terms of rational decision making)

Best avoided of course and every situation has to be judged in its merits, but I would not be slow in protecting my family or friends.

Violence against any of the female members (especially my partner) is liable to result in what I shall call a very robust response.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also subscribe to the honorable troika notion.
However, if someone disrespects me enough that I sense that very certain type of rage build up and I know this person, I will warn him that I may walk away now, but the next time he disrespects me, I will have no qualms in throwing down.
I've had to do this twice. A friend of a friend who on two occasions got handsy with my girl, and a good friend who disrespected me when he was drunk. Both people learned their lesson.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
It takes alot for me to get there, and an ass grab just isnt enough.
You mean someone grabbing your ass or your girlfriend's ass? If I'm in an area where the liklihood of them having a knife is low, I'd make an earnest attempt at opening a 32oz can of whoop ass. Words are not enough to get me riled. They'd have to touch me or my family to get me to throw down. I did see a fight last year at the supermarket at 2am where this guy was being a jerk and he got jumped by 3 guys outside. All the meatheads who just got out of the bars jumped in and evened it back out to 1v1 1v1 1v1. In a case like that I'd probably just try to stop the fight (if he was getting beat up too badly, which this guy wasn't cuz they were all n00bs) unless they were beating up on an old lady or something.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally only for removal of immediate threat to my or my loved ones well being (and in some circumstances the wellbeing of someone I dont know if its grossly unfair). A simple ass grab in a bar is not a physical threat. Furthermore, if the guy is walking away and I grab him and throw him down then I am the one who is commiting the more greivous act (also in the eye of the law).

I've gotten into my fair share of fights. I've never regretted the ones where I followed my above criteria. I've always regretted the ones where I threw down for perceived slights / etc, even when I "win" the fight...

K

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the grab ass. I'd make them apologize and if they didn't I'd knock them out on principal. This is the problem with the West today, we're way too soft. A punch in the face or gut is really not all that vicious. Grabbing someone in a way that is unwanted certainly constitutes a form of assault and the psychological effects of being groped certainly justify punching someone in the face. Douchebags just aren't scared of consequences anymore because there aren't any, and when the victim fighting back gets in trouble, it just shows you how screwed up things are these days.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Whats your intention there?

1. Teach the guy a lesson?
2. Revenge for the dishonour?
3. Preserve someone's safety?

While my first inclination might also be to sock the guy

1. Who is going to learn the lesson when you get arrested or get the **** kicked out of you. In his buddies' minds you hitting him might be cause to teach you a little lesson.
2. Not only is that a dumbass reason in this day of relative anonymity in society, but its also condescending to your woman that she cant take care of herself.
3. He didnt restrain her, and he no longer poses a physical threat. Call the cops if it was that big of a deal.

I'm not trying to climb up on a high horse here, I've gotten into altercations for all three of the above reasons and more, but they never turn out well as a whole (except 3, but that doesnt really apply). I also think that its contextual, depends on where, how, who, etc...

I love how every guy on this board is able to kick any and all ass that they may come across in any situation.

K

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
^^^ Whats your intention there? 1. Teach the guy a lesson? 2. Revenge for the dishonour? 3. Preserve someone's safety?
#1 and #2 definitely. #3 as a preventative measure. Let's say the first time a guy starts just slapping a chick on the arm, next time he goes out he is confident enough to slap them on the ass when they are alone, the next time he slaps them on the ass in front of their boyfriend. Eventually, he might not take no for an answer. All it took to deter him in the first place was a punch in the gut the first time he got out of hand. If chivalry hadn't left, we wouldn't need to be having this discussion.
While my first inclination might also be to sock the guy 1. Who is going to learn the lesson when you get arrested or get the **** kicked out of you. In his buddies' minds you hitting him might be cause to teach you a little lesson.
Perhaps, but, if there is a gang of people or they most likely have a weapon, then you should stay out of it and try to at least have a war of words.
2. Not only is that a dumbass reason in this day of relative anonymity in society, but its also condescending to your woman that she cant take care of herself.
It's not condescending at all, women want you to stick up for them, despite what they recite back to you from Cosmo.
3. He didnt restrain her, and he no longer poses a physical threat. Call the cops if it was that big of a deal. I'm not trying to climb up on a high horse here, I've gotten into altercations for all three of the above reasons and more, but they never turn out well as a whole (except 3, but that doesnt really apply). I also think that its contextual, depends on where, how, who, etc... I love how every guy on this board is able to kick any and all ass that they may come across in any situation.
Not every situation, know your limits. The average douche probably has never had someone punch them in the face though. Mommy prolly told them how good looking they are all time and they think they are invincible.

Nonk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
^^^ Whats your intention there?

1. Teach the guy a lesson?
2. Revenge for the dishonour?
3. Preserve someone's safety?

While my first inclination might also be to sock the guy

1. Who is going to learn the lesson when you get arrested or get the **** kicked out of you. In his buddies' minds you hitting him might be cause to teach you a little lesson.
3. He didnt restrain her, and he no longer poses a physical threat. Call the cops if it was that big of a deal.

I'm not trying to climb up on a high horse here, I've gotten into altercations for all three of the above reasons and more, but they never turn out well as a whole (except 3, but that doesnt really apply). I also think that its contextual, depends on where, how, who, etc...

I love how every guy on this board is able to kick any and all ass that they may come across in any situation.

K

'Winning' fights has little or nothing to do with the decision to get into one for me.

If I feel strongly enough that I will offer violence, then I accept that I will receive violence. I am quite prepared to take a beating in certain circumstances. (and have done in the past)

The opponent, regardless of whether he 'wins' or not, will know he has been in a fight.

That's enough for me.

aleeboy

Reaction score
what would make me turn is if I get incredibly angry. Things that would make my blood boil and veins pop:

- Witnessing an indecent assault: child being molested, guy hitting-up on his girl
- Insulting my girl: if someone threatens my girl or is being a real asshole, he will have a problem with me
- Insulting me: if someone is stabbing me in the back, I will bring it to them
- Competitive Assholes: if someone annoys me to the points that they are like stalkers, I will have a word with them

So far, I have been lucky to avoid any physical violence. I think real power is controlling the situation and, as someone previously mentioned, to walk away not holed up in a patrol car or ambulance.

You gotta be careful thesedays, fellas. Lot's of random group violence out there. I hate it when these guys who think they're all that go out and pick on a couple of dudes. If they get their asses kicked, these hot-shots come back with their crews.... what the?

Anyways... hope no one ever needs to resort to violence. No, I'm not a *****....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ed makes me violent.

I've picked fights on principal in the past, but as an adult, it's just stupid. I definitely wouldn't pick a fight because someone was "stepping to muh boy."
lol8[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
1) Raise my taxes 2) Criticize my pictures of foie gras 3) Insult my wine I can't think of much else that I would get violent over.
Entirely reasonable, I think! A good foie gras and some good wine are worth a little fightin'
wink.gif
Anyway, I've never been in a fight nor ever come close to fighting one, ever. I can't say there are NO situations in which violence is justified, but these are certainly very few and far between (and, as I said, in nearly 30 years, one hasn't presented itself). This whole "Man, you insult me or my girl and I'll **** you up!!!" mentality, if applied in the real world beyond the SF "General Chat" forum, is a good way to end up getting yo' ass shot.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say that I don't feel justified employing violence except as a means to prevent or halt violence against myself or others.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Things are a bit different around here... people get stabbed for refusing an invitation to drink liquor with complete strangers, or for singing awfully in a karaoke joint, or getting shot for breaking a fight. I would definitely find it justifiable if someone disrespects my wife like that and when confronted started acting like a jerk. But I also realize, specially with the threat of concealed weapons, that life can be snuffed out just like that for the stupidest of reasons. Under extreme cases like the ones mentioned above (protect family, child being endangered, insulting my wine...) you really can't help it I know, but I also realize that 99% of the time, it is better to just walk away.

But I also have no qualms with causing a person's death if that person is an imminent danger to me or my family.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads