• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ok, what would get you to become violent?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what would it take to get you to throw a punch? coming off the wife's ass grabing discussion. what would it take to get you to throw a punch?

I haven't thrown a punch in years. I have said, for years, that I wouldn't use violence unless

1. somebody attacked me
2. somebody raised a hand on one of my family
3. I witnessed something that was obviously a huge violent injustess that I had the obility to stop

last year, I was tested - I posted about it at the time. while I was walking with my wife, son, daughters and mother, a bum followed us down the street shouting obseneties at us, because I hadn't given him money. I can't think that anything would have been a greater insult, but I didn't touch him. at the time, I said I think that I would have been justified in beating him to a pulp, but I didn't - because I had specifically chosen a set of criteria and this instance didn't meet those critiia.

likewise - I think that if somebody grabs your wifes ass in a bar, you are justified in beating on him, but I am not sure that I would do it.

I would also say that if I were to choose to attack somebody, I would have decided that it was worth it to get killed or to kill in the confrontation - you never know where these things lead to.

what are your thougts?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone stepping to my girl.

Someone stepping to one of my boys.

Someone being a ***** (not a ***** in the sense of havin' a *****, but a ***** because someone's tryin' to **** me)

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Art of War is a great book. Sun Tzu really spells it out when he says that a real warrior wins before going to battle.

I grew up in a rough area. I beat the hell out of several people and I got the **** beat out of me on many occasions. I was smart enough to realize that if you win the fight, you lose because the police lock you up for a while, and if you lose the fight, you lose because you end up in the ambulance.

So, it is a lose lose proposition.

Don't get me wrong, I think the wise exercise of violence is an incredibly powerful tool and I would never say that it is no longer part of my tool kit.

But, these days, if you want to spur me to violence, I better feel my life is in danger, or the life of a loved one is in danger; basically any situation where lethal force is justifiable. The goal becomes to stop the situation immediately and I won't hesitate.

Anything less, and I win automatically because I walk away, rather than getting hauled off in a patrol car or ambulance.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am in agreement with you if i ever was to get nto fight i ould only do so if i was willing to kill the person or persons, that being said i also go about with ability to take on more then one person person just because my experience has made me paranoid even in supposedly safe areas.
but to engage i would have to fear for my well being ( not my life) and only show a weapon if there is more than one attacker or the attacker is armed as well.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Violence
2) Someone who tests my pride hard enough

When I respond with violence I expect the receiver to answer back with the same. Luckily for me, I have real good self-control, so stuff for #2 doesn't happen at times/places where there's a high chance for me to get into trouble.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It takes alot for me to get there, and an ass grab just isnt enough.

Attack someone i love...well thats another story.

Most of the everyday bullshit i dont feel is worth getting involved in, i've put myself in a couple stupid situations and luckly i'm still here, so i dont like to push it.

gomes

Reaction score
In my view, I don't mind kicking some ass if someone tries to kick mine. I'm not too crazy about it (although it has been a nice stress release) (anymore?), but will do if forced to.

On the other hand, I've recently found that listening to abuse without getting riled up, waiting for the guy to finish, shrugging and saying something along the lines of "I don't know whether to laugh at you, or to pity you" is almost as humiliating (and effective) as a back slap. By my experience, people feel really humiliated and leave instead of trying to smack you, which is a good thing.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Someone stepping to my girl.

Someone stepping to one of my boys.

Someone being a ***** (not a ***** in the sense of havin' a *****, but a ***** because someone's tryin' to **** me)

M-
You so hard and gangsta.

Dat's some real **** homie.

K-Dizzle

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The honorable troika:

1. Attack on me
2. Assault against a friend or loved one
3. Injustice that I can do something about

I'd like to say that I wouldn't snap over an issue of pride, but I'm not sure. If guns and knives weren't so prevalent, I wouldn't mind getting into a fight over less serious things: issues of manners (like globetrotter's story of the bum), sticking up for a girl's reputation, etc.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It takes a lot to get me off my center and into fight mode - it would have to be imminent and serious harm before I drop the gloves and start swinging. That said, one of us gets carted off if it comes to that.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys love to talk about what would cause them to "throw down"

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
1) Raise my taxes
2) Criticize my pictures of foie gras
3) Insult my wine

I can't think of much else that I would get violent over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads