• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Royce Automobiles.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was contemplating the Rolls Royce automobile. It seems that almost every single older example I've encountered for sale has very low mileage--say, a 1970s one has 80,000, and so on. You also don't see Rolls Royce vehicles on the road that often either even though older examples are not even expensive. To me, this seems pointless. One buys a rather expensive car new and is afraid to drive it. I feel this is an issue of image as Rolls Royce has a certain kind of international symbolism that may or may not be positive--it says arrogance, self-indulgence and Imperialism in a kind of way that other brands can't really compare. I think it's rather inane not to drive a car simply because of some perceived identity. Certainly, Mercedes-Benz is not some totem of austerity and yet many people do not have issues driving their Benz vehicles. In fact, the appeal of something like Rolls Royce or Mercedes-Benz is in their inherent showiness, which is reflected in the design. I also think Bentley is the vehicle of choice for people who are afraid of driving Rolls Royces. Saying the modern Bentleys are sporty is just an excuse; luxury British cars are not sporty.
1975_Rolls_Royce_Silver_Shadow_Blue_ff11.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely drive one, especially a late 1980s Corniche convertible, preferably in white with tan leather. If I lived in the British countryside I could see myself driving a sedan such as the one you posted above.

Unfortunately the Phantom is one of the ugliest motor vehicles I've ever seen.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Unfortunately the Phantom is one of the ugliest motor vehicles I've ever seen.

A lot of people say that, but design-wise I think they did a good job of using many of the elements from the old Phantoms, while keeping the overall design very modern.

As for RR cars in general, I think they are one of the best in the luxury sedan category. The mileage is probably low on many of them, because the original owners have many cars. On the other hand, Mercedes cars are usually used as daily drivers.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The older models don't drive particularly well, they are enormous and underpowered.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be that the typical owners are off jet setting and sitting around the golf club. Hard to rack up the miles if you don't do to much.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three years ago, I seriously considered buying a 1972 Silver Shadow I, silver, with tan leather, but the thought of parts and upkeep scared med away.

I was planning some social coquettry around it - not mistreating it, but rather treating it as I treat my old Volvo now - just a regular car.

I thought of installing a tow bar, a roof rack, and one of those "My other car is a Porsche" bumper stickers. A missing hubcap, a couple of old newspapers etc. would complete the picture, along with keeping it dirty.

Mauby

Reaction score
They are certainly eye-catching automobiles. I've never driven one or sat in one. They look like they'd be a very comfortable ride. I doubt driving it fast & hard is the point of a RR. I would imagine their engines put out some serious torque tho. And as they are suppliers of airplane engines, including Boeing, I would think their engines are dependable, but I have no idea.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Three years ago, I seriously considered buying a 1972 Silver Shadow I, silver, with tan leather, but the thought of parts and upkeep scared med away.

I was planning some social coquettry around it - not mistreating it, but rather treating it as I treat my old Volvo now - just a regular car.

I thought of installing a tow bar, a roof rack, and one of those "My other car is a Porsche" bumper stickers. A missing hubcap, a couple of old newspapers etc. would complete the picture, along with keeping it dirty.

That's a pretty cool idea actually.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect they imply an idiosyncrasy with which most people are uncomfortable -- but for you LK, just the thing for carting exotic hides and ivories whilst smoking rare tobaccos and sneering at proletarian haberdashery or lumpen architecture ...

Also great for a big-ass, old-fashioned carphone, I should think!
worship.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have driven the older examples and they are surprisingly agile and fast for such a large and heavy car. The power-steering is superb with the thinnest steering wheel you can imagine.

I find it odd that they chose to use a Mercedes as a daily driver as some of the period Mercedes models were about the same price as a new Rolls Royce; the 6.9 was even more expensive.

Lucky Strike's idea is a good one. To combat the slightly pretentious image, one must treat the car as any other old thing.

ms244

Reaction score
1989 Bentley Eight

This one is about the price of a new civic. The steering wheel is hideous though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Hyundai prices even!
bounce2.gif

3Q.JPG

Not really sure why you'd rather have this as a daily driver, rather then say a 2001 (last year of the E38) 740I Sport which can be had for similar prices yet is more reliable, faster, and really nice inside. With heated seats and steering wheel too.

Unless someone drives you around in it.

Bentley Limo

The 99 sticker is the perfect touch. The 7430 GVW puts is at about double that of a regular car. But look at the clock and little vase to hold your flowers.

SCBZV19E3XCX80259_012_LG.jpg

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
1989 Bentley Eight

This one is about the price of a new civic. The steering wheel is hideous though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Hyundai prices even!
bounce2.gif

3Q.JPG

Not really sure why you'd rather have this as a daily driver, rather then say a 2001 (last year of the E38) 740I Sport which can be had for similar prices yet is more reliable, faster, and really nice inside. With heated seats and steering wheel too.

Outside of the high miles and gawd awful steering wheel, that car is a major buy for the money. I can't believe it's going for less than $10 grand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads