• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoria Castangia in NYC?

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All,

One of my good friends is getting married soon, and I spent the better part of the day at Saks and Bergdorf's trying on tuxes with him. I have to thank SF for all the knowledge I have gathered to this point, one of the sales people at BG asked me if I was a buyer of formalwear as a day job. Anyways, he liked the Sartoria Castagnia cut the best. However, Bergdorf's had very few SC tuxes to choose from. Does anyone know a good place in NYC to buy an SC tux? He is looking for a single button peak lapel.

As an aside, BG carries a shockingly large number of notch lapel tuxedos. It is embarassing.

Thanks!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Battistoni suits sold at Barneys are made by Castangia, although the cut might be slightly different from what Castangia sells under its own label.

Jay Kos's suits are rumored to be Castangia. Even if they're not, they seem similar to me. They could make you a tuxedo made-to-measure.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Bamford and sports coat suits at Bergdorf are also made by Castangia.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great info, I will have to check them out and see if any of these makers offer tuxes. It looked like the SC tuxes were running around $2,500 so will be interesting to see how the other brands compare.

Personally I would go MTM or bespoke for this price but my friend seems to want something easy and off the rack.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Battistoni suits sold at Barneys are made by Castangia, although the cut might be slightly different from what Castangia sells under its own label.

Jay Kos's suits are rumored to be Castangia. Even if they're not, they seem similar to me. They could make you a tuxedo made-to-measure.

They are, 100%. Or at least they were for some time. I own both Jay Kos and Sartoria Castangia labeled suits and it is quite obvious when you compare them.

I think Ed just said Eredi Pisano sells Castangia made suits are well??

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Axelman 17;1194823 said:
It looked like the SC tuxes were running around $2,500 so will be interesting to see how the other brands compare.
I would expect they are going to be more. $2500.00 is a great price for a Castangia tux at retail.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Bamford/Castangia made suits were $2750.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
They are, 100%. Or at least they were for some time. I own both Jay Kos and Sartoria Castangia labeled suits and it is quite obvious when you compare them.

I think Ed just said Eredi Pisano sells Castangia made suits are well??

Yeah, Kos and Pisano are Castagnia, although I find the Pisano cut a bit more extreme, Kos a bit softer. Pisano also sells a cheaper line from another unknown maker.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
The Battistoni/Castangia that I have are very Brioni-like, with a padded shoulder and very clean chest. While many others I've seen are much softer. Andrew, is this your experience?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
The Battistoni/Castangia that I have are very Brioni-like, with a padded shoulder and very clean chest.

While many others I've seen are much softer.

Andrew, is this your experience?

I don't own any Castangia. But the Jay Kos stuff I tried on was very soft-shouldered in comparison to what I saw at Battistoni in Rome--unlike Jay, they were very happy to disclaim their relationship to Castangia.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Battistoni/Castangia that I have are very Brioni-like, with a padded shoulder and very clean chest.

The Battistoni jackets I tried on @ Barney's the other day are all very soft-shouldered, min. padding.

Toorman

Reaction score
I have both Battistoni (+1 on being soft shouldered) and Eredi Pisano suits and I highly recommend them. The Battistoni are more elegant whereas the Pisano are more modern (slimmer/more fitted). I was in Pisano last week and a gentleman was trying on a tux for his wedding that looked amazing. Timing may be a factor though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

While many others I've seen are much softer.

Andrew, is this your experience?

Like most RTW makers they have a whole lot of different jacket models. But from what I've seen their default seems to be semi-soft coat, very little or no shoulder padding, but also cut very clean with little to no drape. Sort of a middle point between Rome and Naples. I'm fan personally.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been extremely helpful, here is my plan of action:

1. Barneys to try Battistoni
2. Eredi Pisano boutique (looks like they have one on Madison)
3. Jay Kos

What we liked the most about the Castangia at BG was the clean chest, it had a great shape and fit well with my friend who has very broad shoulders.

I am having a Chan tuxedo made for the wedding, I will definitely get some pictures and compare and contrast the different finished products. I am having Chan make something fairly soft shouldered and "neapolitan" so we will see how this turns out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads