• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skipping rope is hard work.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably makes for good calves if you do it enough. Ever try a weighted jumprope? One of the most exhausting things I've ever done...

James Gatz

Reaction score
I been jumping rope for cardio ever since high school. For basketball we used to do a minute of speed work alternating with a minute of a slower pace with emphasis on jump height. The workout lasted for a total of 9 minutes but felt like an hour. These days I mostly do hills and sprints for HIIT, but jump rope once a week because it's a hell of a lot easier on my knees and hips.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I travel a lot in the summers for work and I always bring a jump rope with me. It's easy to pack and I can get in a quick cardio workout almost anywhere.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is it really that bad on the lower limb joints in the long run (because of all the impact I assume)?
frown.gif

You really shouldn't be jumping very high to begin with to have much impact on your joints. when I did this a lot I never really picked my feet up very high at all.

And - to the OP - the first few minutes suck. Keep at it and you will acclimate quickly, once your initial adjustment subsides.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is it really that bad on the lower limb joints in the long run (because of all the impact I assume)?
frown.gif

What I meant was that sprinting (or even just running at a moderately high pace) on a hard surface for any extended period of time tends to make my hips and knees ache. This is due to the fact that I shattered my femur and damaged both my hip and knee in the process. So now I try to mix up my cardio so that I'm running on grass, or on paths through the woods, in addition to the track or the hilly streets around my neighborhood.

Jumping rope has had no effect on my joints as far as pain goes. If you had a bad ankle or something that might give you some trouble, by as far as the knees and such go, it seems pretty low impact. Also when I'm doing the high jump/slower pace sessions, I still concentrate on keeping my heels off the ground as much as possible, so that helps.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love doing jump rope. as many boxers do it because it warms up both your hands and feet etc. good for coordination. its good to mix rhythms and feet patterns. when i want to go all out i usually do double skips for until i cant go any more. those are killer and a great way to go all out cardio wise. also try to see how many rotations you can get in a minute. i think my max is 200 and something. than do 30 seconds, than go 10 seconds. last time i did the 10 i got about around 50 something in. i r best skipped in world!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard jumping rope is the best form of cardio exercise out there. Is this true? I need to get into some cardio and was thinking ashtanga yoga

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive heard that 5 minutes of hard skipping is equivalent to about 15 minutes of running, while 5 minutes of swimming is equilavent to 25 minutes of running.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
ive heard that 5 minutes of hard skipping is equivalent to about 15 minutes of running.

Not in term of calories burned. Not even close.

unrated

Reaction score
I think it largely depends on intensity. 5 minutes of rope doing double-unders vs. 15 minutes of light running, or 5 minutes of rope and 15 minutes of HIIT running/sprints.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did it in my boxing days, great cardio
smile.gif

As far as the joints go, when you get better the jump height becomes lower, thus less stress on them. Being quite tall my knees arent that good, and mine never hurt after the workout. I did however get an injury that some might not know about skipping rope. I developed small fractures in the "fleece"(dont know the word) surrounding my calve muscles. Takes pretty much 1 or 2 months to heal, so if you start to feel the slightest pain you cannot directly identify around your shins? take it easy, trust me on this
smile.gif

Hope this helps..

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unrated
I think it largely depends on intensity. 5 minutes of rope doing double-unders vs. 15 minutes of light running, or 5 minutes of rope and 15 minutes of HIIT running/sprints.

I don't know about that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads