Skipping rope is hard work.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by merkur, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Did it in my boxing days, great cardio [​IMG]

As far as the joints go, when you get better the jump height becomes lower, thus less stress on them. Being quite tall my knees arent that good, and mine never hurt after the workout. I did however get an injury that some might not know about skipping rope. I developed small fractures in the "fleece"(dont know the word) surrounding my calve muscles. Takes pretty much 1 or 2 months to heal, so if you start to feel the slightest pain you cannot directly identify around your shins? take it easy, trust me on this[​IMG]

Hope this helps..

Compartment Syndrome?

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

Compartment Syndrome?

Had to read into that, but that sounds a bit more serious then it was. For me it was just a pain while walking or just putting pressure on it. Does have a lot of similarities though... Anyways, for the OP its still a great workout and you can do a lot of work in a small amount of time...

3. merkur

merkur Senior member

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

For years, I jumped rope 15-20 mins, 3-4 days a week (w/light weights and other resistance training) and kept me in good shape. I've done both and I'd take the rope over running any day, for a regular training regimen. You can use a speed rope or a weighted rope, mix in double jumps, lateral movements to intesify the workout. Time is at a premium and you get a great workout in a shorter time (you can get the same benefits from 10 mins. of jumping rope that you can from 30 mins. of running at a comparable pace).

5. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. Homme

Homme Senior member

^ Incredible.

Bumping this thread. I need to get some cardio in, and think running is the most boring activity in the world. So i bought a rope.

How does one build rhythm ? Is it just practice ? Am not trying any double revs / criss crossing / anything like that just yet; just single revs at a decent pace. 30 revs is the best i have been able to do so far, after 4 sessions or so. Just can't seem to get into a good rhythm. (May be because i'm a pasty white boy)

7. West24

West24 Senior member

you have to get semi good at it to make it a good work out. otherwise you never get the good rhythm if you continuously hit your rope.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

you have to get semi good at it to make it a good work out. otherwise you never get the good rhythm if you continuously hit your rope.

I've always sucked at it, no matter how much I practiced. It's wierd. I don't know about you guys, but there are some very specific tasks that I have never been able to do, and these things are sometimes objectively very easy compared to other, similar tasks, that I can do easily.

As the for 5 minutes of jumping rope = 15 minutes of running, either that is some slow running, or some dudes are burning crazy calories. On regular training runs, (not HIIT sprints, which are even tougher) I cover about 2.3 miles in 15 minutes. For my weight, and at 160 lbs or so, I am not that big, this is about 300 calories. That means that someone jumping rope for 20 minutes is expending 1200 calories, which seems unreasonably high. If it is true though, I'll force myself to become good at jumping rope, because it will give me wild cardio.

9. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

^ Incredible.

Bumping this thread. I need to get some cardio in, and think running is the most boring activity in the world. So i bought a rope.

How does one build rhythm ? Is it just practice ? Am not trying any double revs / criss crossing / anything like that just yet; just single revs at a decent pace. 30 revs is the best i have been able to do so far, after 4 sessions or so. Just can't seem to get into a good rhythm. (May be because i'm a pasty white boy)

Its just practice. Keep doing it.

10. CacophobicFatty

CacophobicFatty Member

I jump rope everyday as exercise.

I usually do at least 5 sets of 100.

Not that much I know, but I try doing more on weekends.

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

also a bit of it is technique. Ill try to explain, but won't be particularly easy without being able to illustrate...

New guys tend to kick their legs back schoolgirl style (ie bend at knee, heel toward butt). This causes the rope to catch your toe. You then end up overcompensating for that with exagerrated arm movements, bringing the rope lower. This causes the rope to drag along the ground more, which slows it down further, and messes up your rhythm.

You have get the hang of lifting your feet only slightly, and basically straight up. Skipping then gets a whole lot easier and you get a whole lot faster. A hint also when you are starting out, instead of going left foot right foot left foot right foot, go left left, right right. Keeping it on the same side while you are starting out means you arent moving your weight back and forth on every rotation, gives you longer to get your balance on each side.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i just do HIIT for cardio because i love jumping rope but have no coordination.

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

As the for 5 minutes of jumping rope = 15 minutes of running, either that is some slow running, or some dudes are burning crazy calories. On regular training runs, (not HIIT sprints, which are even tougher) I cover about 2.3 miles in 15 minutes. For my weight, and at 160 lbs or so, I am not that big, this is about 300 calories. That means that someone jumping rope for 20 minutes is expending 1200 calories, which seems unreasonably high. If it is true though, I'll force myself to become good at jumping rope, because it will give me wild cardio.

+ 1. Difficult to believe that 5 min of jump rope = 15 min of running.

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

+ 1. Difficult to believe that 5 min of jump rope = 15 min of running.

I think whacked posted it already, but it's not. I think jumping rope, rowing, and swimming (for example) give people the (false) impression that they're burning more calories than running simply because they feel harder than running.

15. whacked

whacked Senior member