• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite homes/estates in the U.S.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was great and underrated architect, Edward Durell Stone's personal home in New York.

It was a traditional brownstone-type building which he erected a grille over. It cause a large amount of controversy of which he seemed to have been fond of.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a spectacular deal. Any SFer near Lake Forest, IL looking for a new home to buy?
http://mcarch.wordpress.com/2008/05/...-is-jack-viks/

2448926969_c1d23c0558.jpg

2449723154_2fc00a71b8.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Exterior looks like a prep school dorm.

Do you agree with the link's desription of it as a "beauty." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
It was great and underrated architect, Edward Durell Stone's personal home in New York.
Agreed...the facade on the townhouse is genius (the interior is ok). I don't think he's that under-rated (every big architect had their critics), but I love his under-stated, yet super luxury, decadent approach to 70's modernism, which had become boring in it's re-hashing of the standard International Style. I see him as kind of the Karl Springer of architecture. We have a rather large piece of his work here on our skyline (First Canadian Place). Although 300 lb slabs of Carrara marble falling 60 stories is not doing its reputation any good. Bah...practicality...who needs it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Agreed...the facade on the townhouse is genius (the interior is ok). I don't think he's that under-rated (every big architect had their critics), but I love his under-stated, yet super luxury, decadent approach to modernism, which had become boring in it's re-hashing of the standard International Style. I see him as kind of the Karl Springer of architecture. We have a rather large piece of his work here on our skyline (First Canadian Place). Although 300 lb slabs of Carrara marble falling 60 stories is not doing its reputation any good. Bah...practicality...who needs it.
I think Durrel Stone is under-rated in today's context. His work is considered rather unfashionable these days even with a resurgence of interest in Modernism. His frequent use of grilles and "luxe" swank elements has made him dated with today's trends, which frankly, is how I want it to be. Young people don't like his work because the designs don't suit their minimalist tendencies and doesn't have a brand cachet as say, Le Corbusier, and mainstream types are going to be appalled. However, that is a problem when it comes to preserving his work--look at the disgusting treatment that his 40, Columbus Circle is getting: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=50280 A lot of his work has already been disfigured and torn down.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
His frequent use of grilles and "luxe" swank elements has made him dated with today's trends, which frankly, is how I want it to be.
Well, that's the curse of being ahead of trends. It is the better of two evils. These things generally have a 30-50 year hibernation period before it is rediscovered. I think I see it coming, as I've noticed a lot of interest in Brazilian design (furniture, architecture) of the same period, which does, when I think about it, have a similar swagger and rich materials.

And we'll all be driving a Jensen Interceptor. he he

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Well, that's the curse of being ahead of trends. It is the better of two evils. These things generally have a 30-50 year hibernation period before it is rediscovered. I think I see it coming, as I've noticed a lot of interest in Brazilian design (furniture, architecture) of the same period, which does, when I think about it, have a similar swagger and rich materials. And we'll all be driving a Jensen Interceptor. he he
This is true. My favorite Brazilian architect is Joao Artacho who did some wonderful apartment buildings. Loos also utilized rich natural materials, but contemporary architecture these days take his Ornament Is Crime too seriously whilst eschewing his love of "virtuous" materials--everything is some blonde wood in combination with insipid "natural" stones or a variety of steel. I'll drive a Lagonda.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Don't forget to explain the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer.

Well, a sorcerer has magical talent in his blood, and he becomes stronger by calling upon and shaping his power, while wizards traditionally master magic as a result of dedicated study of lore and tend to channel their magicks through an instrument like a wand or a staff...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
^^^ Exterior looks like a prep school dorm.

Do you agree with the link's desription of it as a "beauty." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Absolutely agree with the blog comments - I think it's a beautiful house. Clearly inspired by MvdR. I'm not sure I understand your comment about a dorm. It's a two-level house entirely wrapped in glass which links exterior to interior in a very natural way. Does it look like it was built in 1960? Sure, but for me that's a good thing. Different strokes for different folks....

$2.2 million for this unique house seems like a bargain to me (3 bed, 3 bath, 4 acres, 8-car garage, 800 sq ft living room) . Then again, I live in the city so my perception of value is completely warped.

2449723498_f1241047bc.jpg

2449723396_f561c93a92.jpg

2449723328_82a717d685.jpg

2448922991_0f62d29e58.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I agree; that's gorgeous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Glessner house by HH Richardson:

Glessner_House.jpg

10209_1.jpg

moderncourtyard_000.JPG

eidolon

Reaction score
Since a dislike of castles has been mentioned, am I the only one who is super-freaked out by all these houses that have glass running almost the entire exterior of the property? I'm not someone who's overly paranoid, but there's something exceptionally weird to me about being viewable throughout most of your house at all times.

I've seen some great places with glass walls (Channel 4's Grand Design is a favorite show of mine, that huge house in Scotland was amazing), but I can't imagine living in some of these prefabs that are just all glass on the exterior.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
Since a dislike of castles has been mentioned, am I the only one who is super-freaked out by all these houses that have glass running almost the entire exterior of the property? I'm not someone who's overly paranoid, but there's something exceptionally weird to me about being viewable throughout most of your house at all times.

I've seen some great places with glass walls (Channel 4's Grand Design is a favorite show of mine, that huge house in Scotland was amazing), but I can't imagine living in some of these prefabs that are just all glass on the exterior.

I think the key is to be on a large wooded lot. My parents' house has a lot of windows but they're surrounded by trees and have a lot of space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads