• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes Explained

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
What's the big deal of bringing this thread back up to the top?

IT's not a big deal. It's the Internet, dude. (Great post, btw, AHarris.) The bumper just seemed clueless, and we hates cluelessness.

Originally Posted by tlmusic
It must have taken loads of time to prepare this article. It's great to be made aware of it. Thank you.

Originally Posted by embowafa
ditto.

great work, and an informative post that is applicable in 2003 and 2008.

OK, OK, I was too tough. I retract my snark. The people have spoken.

Originally Posted by Margaret
Glad someone dug this up. Shouldn't it be pinned?

I believe a lot of it has been put into the wiki.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
A thank you, and only five years later!
plain.gif
You, sir, have truly brought this subject to life!

No love for your fellow writers, Grim?
laugh.gif
The man has written eight books. I see by your updated signature that you have probably visisted Saks yesterday.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
No love for your fellow writers, Grim?
laugh.gif
The man has written eight books.

I see by your updated signature that you have probably visisted Saks yesterday.
smile.gif

DPW has written eight books? I did visit Saks, but struck out there. It was Barneys what did the damage. I should have taken pictures last night for the benefit of my internet friends, but I couldn't find the camera.

dpw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
DPW has written eight books? I did visit Saks, but struck out there. It was Barneys what did the damage. I should have taken pictures last night for the benefit of my internet friends, but I couldn't find the camera.

perhaps snark is a way of life for you, i am not qualified to comment. i do wonder if you have missed the point here. the point being.... i mentioned the fact that I am a writer, not to impress ( i have plenty of devotees without seeking out a few more in SF), but to impress upon the next reader that a qualified critique of the " shoe review" was undertaken and that this piece is deserving of a first, second or even a third read. this type of expertize, shoes and clear writing, is worthy of note regardless the time of penning. compliments, especially about writing, here or elsewhere, should find voice when the mood strikes, don't you think? writing is very much a solitary sport, so recognition, when deserved, is usually welcomed by the creative mind.

look around at the written word contained in sf. many would do well to emulate mr harris in clear thinking and in the written expression of critical thought....enough said.

suffice to say that should you pen a piece that deserves recognition, i will be the first to compliment your efforts. I take from a brief review of past posts, that you know much about shoes so .....bless us with your wisdom.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment, undeserved as it is. I recognize that you will not order your life around considerations of what will and won't produce snark from me, but all of this could have been avoided with the ordinary practice of merely flagging the fact you were consciously bumping a five-year-old thread. Like so: "I thought this post was so great that it deserved a bump, so new users could benefit from its wisdom, its clarity and its admirable writing style..." That helps to avoid confusion.

Now, one may argue that the cost of that confusion is vanishingly small, but it's a courtesy to others, and the cost of the courtesy is equally minute.

I feel a bit foolish even putting this little lesson into words, as I would think it would be obvious to all. And it was not a "big deal" in the first place. But anyway, it was a knee-jerk reaction on my part. This was due at least in part to the fact that a number of people have recently and unwittingly responded to threads many years old as if the question posed in it had arisen yesterday.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a bit busy right now, but promise to come back and review dpw and grims' posts in 2-3 years.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm a bit busy right now, but promise to come back and review dpw and grims' posts in 2-3 years.

They will be as relevant then as the moment they were posted, I promise.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
perhaps snark is a way of life for you, i am not qualified to comment. i do wonder if you have missed the point here. the point being.... i mentioned the fact that I am a writer, not to impress ( i have plenty of devotees without seeking out a few more in SF), but to impress upon the next reader that a qualified critique of the " shoe review" was undertaken and that this piece is deserving of a first, second or even a third read. this type of expertize, shoes and clear writing, is worthy of note regardless the time of penning. compliments, especially about writing, here or elsewhere, should find voice when the mood strikes, don't you think? writing is very much a solitary sport, so recognition, when deserved, is usually welcomed by the creative mind. look around at the written word contained in sf. many would do well to emulate mr harris in clear thinking and in the written expression of critical thought....enough said. suffice to say that should you pen a piece that deserves recognition, i will be the first to compliment your efforts. I take from a brief review of past posts, that you know much about shoes so .....bless us with your wisdom.
Impressed as I am with the mention of your devotees, your confidence in the ability to offer "qualified critique", and your "expertize", may I humbly suggest that you emulate the distinguished Mr. Harris in his respect for capitalization in the begining of sentences and of the singular pronouns. If only for posterity.

misterjase

Reaction score
I notice that some shoes are made with single thickness soles and some shoes are made with double thickness soles.
Is there a practical reason for the double thickness soles?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
a. harris:just a quick complement on your excellent "shoe review". Concise, informative and very well written. Bravo! I, myself, have written 8 books so I know from whence I speak. Not so easy to produce a piece on what could have been a bit of a dry topic, yet you have managed to bring this subject to life. thank you, dpw

I missed this earlier. Thanks for your kind comments dpw!

Misterjase, double soles are mostly a stylistic choice. However, they do stand up better to heavy wear, resist rounding better, and offer more protection from whatever you might step on. A lot of English and Italian shoes with dressy single soles feel almost like slippers once they have broken in. You can feel what is underfoot, right through the sole. I've not decided if I like that feeling or not.

emptym

Reaction score
Bumped for brilliance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads