• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea boots in summer

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you wear chelseas in summer?

I ask because I do, and yet always feel slightly out of season - they somehow feel more suited to cooler or wetter months (yes, I know I live in England; play along for sake of argument and pretend I have a long hot summer). But they're so easy to wear casually and pair with stuff that I still wear them.

The question came to the forefront of my mind with binge's great outfit in the WAYW thread today (the Tone Loc one), again with Chelsea boots.

Any other options for a "goes with everything" casual but smart non-lace slightly rugged & casual look (no penny loafers please - nothing wrong with them per se, but not really what I'm after this time)?

Pengranger

Reaction score
I wear mine all year round. I don't seem to have a season for most of the clothes I wear - style traverses the seasons? OK, I rarely get the cashmere overcoat out in Summer... (but sayng that I do live in England!)

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fitting with the tags - I think the answer is right under your nose. Nothing wrong with Chelseas, no need to fix them or go chasing the will o' the wisp of a casual, rugged, go with anything slip on that is something other than a chelsea boot.

Are you perhaps subconsciously trying to convince yourself you need a few new pairs of Chelsea boots?
You could get yourself a pair of slimmish leather soled chelseas as a light 'summer' pair. If you have such a pair, you could get a slightly more rugged rubber soled pair for winter.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My high instep prevents me from wearing chelseas but I do wear my shell chukkas in summer.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got this pair of Peal slip ons. They look like Chelsea boots when covered by trousers. I think the C&J Kempton fills the same function.

dagenham

Reaction score
I struggled with this exact issue and decided that it doesn't really matter. I still wear them on occasion in the summer months, but not as much as I would in fall and winter.

brmoore

Reaction score
I see no problems with wearing leather Chelseas in the summer, but what are
your thoughts on wearing dark suede Chelseas in summer. Are darker colored
suedes a no-no for summer wear ?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My high in-step prevents me from wearing chelseas.

My high instep had me had a pair made
smile.gif
Single leather sole. Another pair is in the pipeline(ready for pickup). Unfortunately the maker is retired in the meantime.

Sorry, no love for chukkas.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
In fitting with the tags

I'm glad someone noticed them.
smile.gif

Are you perhaps subconsciously trying to convince yourself you need a few new pairs of Chelsea boots?
You could get yourself a pair of slimmish leather soled chelseas as a light 'summer' pair. If you have such a pair, you could get a slightly more rugged rubber soled pair for winter.
That's not a bad idea, I guess. I have a pair of RM Williams Craftsman and a zippered ankle boots from YSL... maybe something slimmer/sleeker might be an idea.

Originally Posted by Baron
I just got this pair of Peal slip ons. They look like Chelsea boots when covered by trousers. I think the C&J Kempton fills the same function.
Originally Posted by JayJay
My high instep prevents me from wearing chelseas but I do wear my shell chukkas in summer.

Two interesting ideas... I might experiment! Thank you!

Originally Posted by dagenham
I struggled with this exact issue and decided that it doesn't really matter. I still wear them on occasion in the summer months, but not as much as I would in fall and winter.

You're probably right... but I'm glad I'm not quite the only one to have these strange thoughts occasionally!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Pengranger
OK, I rarely get the cashmere overcoat out in Summer... (but sayng that I do live in England!)

Touch wood, we've been lucky so far this year! Almost no rain at Wimbledon in the first week; surely unprecedented!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dagenham
I think suede is fine for the summer, but I only wear it in a loafer/slip on.

I find myself doing the same, too. Weird how these associations go, isn't it!
smile.gif

brittain

Reaction score
incidentally, I think binge's outfit you mentioned is his best Ive seen in my limited time on this board. I think chelseas are fine for year-round wear. certain fabrics are perhaps only fitting for summer, but nice leather is appropriate for all seasons. wearing a pair of chelseas is just as appropriate as carrying a nice leather briefcase in July.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
incidentally, I think binge's outfit you mentioned is his best Ive seen in my limited time on this board. I think chelseas are fine for year-round wear. certain fabrics are perhaps only fitting for summer, but nice leather is appropriate for all seasons. wearing a pair of chelseas is just as appropriate as carrying a nice leather briefcase in July.

+2!!!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots are fine year round. However, if it gets scorching hot they will probably be rather warm.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I've ever had an outfit be a thread-starter before...thank goodness it's in a positive way.
smile.gif

My Chelseas are pretty much year-round for me, both because I think they look great in any season, and the weather in San Francisco is so moderate that we often get fall-like days in mid-summer (like today: cold and overcast). I probably wouldn't wear them on a sweltering, sunny day, but for comfort reasons rather than feeling out of season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads