• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question Re: Brioni Suit - Authenticity, Age, Still Stylish?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Gurus, I'm looking at buying a particular brioni suit... Based on the pics below, could anyone please let me know:

1. Does it seem to be Authentic? (tags) -

2. Looking at the Width of the lapels including the overlap on the pocket and the notch angle, any idea how old this suit might be? Some of the other sellers stuff goes back to the 70s and 80s. Also the fabric texture kindof feels 80's, just not sure if it's me

3. *Important* - Most of all, do you think that this suit on a 23 year old (in marketing) would be out of place? ie, wearing a hand-me down? (the fit will be bang on, it's just the lapels that seem to throw me off. the width and overlap on the pocket) - note, I'm 5'5

4. it's made from super 150's, I read around here that 150's might not actually wear that well (not durable), comments?

Thanks as always guys!
note - it's off ebay, I hope to god it's not your size
frown.gif

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Profile.png
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...rent=Label.png

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ent=Fabric.png
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ent=Label2.png

brlfvr

Reaction score
Lapels date it too much IMO. Go for something more modern especially if you're 23.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit is older than you are.

Get a new suit.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That label has been reviewed before on AAAC , and if I remember the final word it was considered one of those labels that mimicked the real one.

The lapels seem wide to me.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking at this suit because of the "Brioni" name?

Had the label said something like "Mantini" would you even look at it?

-the suit is NOT Brioni, there is no such thing as "designed by Brioni"
-the fit and overall construction of the suit look like ****
-the style is very dated, possibly from the 80's. There is no such thing as a super 150 in the 80's.

nsoltz

Reaction score
Looks like something from an archaeological dig.

As also has been pointed out, it's most likely a fake.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Are you looking at this suit because of the "Brioni" name?
Had the label said something like "Mantini" would you even look at it?

-the suit is NOT Brioni, there is no such thing as "designed by Brioni"
-the fit and overall construction of the suit look like ****
-the style is very dated, possibly from the 80's. There is no such thing as a super 150 in the 80's.

Mmmm, well yes, part of the equation was the possibility of picking up anything "Brioni" for $200, especially a suit.
I thought the suit aesthetically looked good (minus the fat lapels) but maybe I have more learning to do... out of interest, just to add to my arsenal of knowledge, what areas make it seem 80's?

As for fit, I know it'd work for me, construction looked fine to my eyes from the photos but I geuss I haven't worn any Brionis so I trust your opinion on it.
The main reason I was looking at it was simply that the fit/sizing was bang on, which is extremely rare for me. I find OTR rarely works and if it does, well $$$
frown.gif

Originally Posted by brlfvr
Lapels date it too much IMO. Go for something more modern especially if you're 23.

Originally Posted by mack11211
Suit is older than you are.
Get a new suit.

Lol, ok. Thanks for the feedback guys!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not fake, I think it is actually from a Brioni 'diffusion' line sold way back when. They were made for some discount chain, I don't remember which. Vintage and not very good quality, so avoid.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
The main reason I was looking at it was simply that the fit/sizing was bang on

Not to pile-on, but the fit is not right. It's a little too big in the shoulders and the body.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I thought the suit aesthetically looked good (minus the fat lapels) but maybe I have more learning to do... out of interest, just to add to my arsenal of knowledge, what areas make it seem 80's?

The wide lapels and the low, droopy gorge. Button stance could stand being a touch higher as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads