• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Football --- Euro '08, Transfers, etc.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Nevertheless, I'm all for France this month.
As am I. This is the first tournament without the 1998 generation. We'll get to see if their heirs are up to the task (something that has not been achieved after the two previous great generations of French football, the 1958 one and the 1984 one). Too bad the new system precludes a France-Italy final, that's always intense to watch (especially after 2000 and 2006).

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
USA-Spain: The Americans looked pretty good IMO--they certainly looked better than they did against England. They still just sometimes make really stupid mistakes, though. And I was happy not to have to look at Donovan's annoying mug all match.

Really? I just read a review of the game on FSW by Jamie Trekker that just tore the team apart. No vision, playing for a 0-0 draw, only Adu managed to pass to his own team, etc., etc. And, I liked to see, lambasting Bradley for bringing in older guys like Hejduk et al.

Someone in the comments there stated that they hoped the US fails to qualify for the WC. I'm kinda thinking the same. Maybe that'll be the wake-up call that we need to really make a move. Like splashing some cash on a great development program and a world-class coach (no offense Bob, but you're not on par with others out there).

And Jozy is going to Villareal--it's confirmed.

b

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Really? I just read a review of the game on FSW by Jamie Trekker that just tore the team apart. No vision, playing for a 0-0 draw, only Adu managed to pass to his own team, etc., etc. And, I liked to see, lambasting Bradley for bringing in older guys like Hejduk et al.

Someone in the comments there stated that they hoped the US fails to qualify for the WC. I'm kinda thinking the same. Maybe that'll be the wake-up call that we need to really make a move. Like splashing some cash on a great development program and a world-class coach (no offense Bob, but you're not on par with others out there).

And Jozy is going to Villareal--it's confirmed.

b

I think you're being unfair. Bradley is a pretty good coach, IMO.

If I have an issue with the US side it is the lack of aggression. Players are unwilling to challenge and try to take a defender. Donovan, Beasley and lewis were about the only ones who did, and I haven't seen that attitude at the international level in some time.

People just beat the stuffing out of Beasley if they need to slow the American "attack".

I loved that American team that went to Korea - confident, attacking team football. I attributed much of it to Sanneh.

There's something about Europe where the American's just turn into tourists gawking at the soccer royalty instead of realizing that they should bow to no man.

Everyone gripes about the money, but the go slow approach has reaped huge dividends for US soccer. How many soccer only stadiums do we have now? How often have we missed qualifying? How often do we go and actually win a game?

In time, our better athletes will consider soccer as an alternative and that will be a day terrible to behold in the world.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nice things to say about BB. But he is not as good a coach as is out there. I think he has done good things with the squad, like looking at younger players and, as I said when I started this thread, getting our guys playing these friendlies on hostile grounds. That can only help. But you have to ask why he calls in Hejduk or even Eddie Lewis (and I'm a fan of Eddie). They are known quantities who cannot add much to the team at this point.

Yes, the lack of aggression is very troubling. Eddie Johnson is the worst. He seems to have some mental block that keeps him from doing anything.

Sorry, but citing our qualifying for the WC as a great example of anything rings hollow to me. Who's our competition? We wouldn't make it out of qualifying in Europe, Africa, or South America. And we'd be sorely pressed in Asia.

I agree with your prediction about the money and drawing in our best athletes. When that happens we will dominate the world. But we have a very long ways to go before a young talent like Kobe Bryant chooses footy over basketball. I hope that day comes in my lifetime.

b

Originally Posted by countdemoney
I think you're being unfair. Bradley is a pretty good coach, IMO.

If I have an issue with the US side it is the lack of aggression. Players are unwilling to challenge and try to take a defender. Donovan, Beasley and lewis were about the only ones who did, and I haven't seen that attitude at the international level in some time.

People just beat the stuffing out of Beasley if they need to slow the American "attack".

I loved that American team that went to Korea - confident, attacking team football. I attributed much of it to Sanneh.

There's something about Europe where the American's just turn into tourists gawking at the soccer royalty instead of realizing that they should bow to no man.

Everyone gripes about the money, but the go slow approach has reaped huge dividends for US soccer. How many soccer only stadiums do we have now? How often have we missed qualifying? How often do we go and actually win a game?

In time, our better athletes will consider soccer as an alternative and that will be a day terrible to behold in the world.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U.S. Soccer seems to be stuck in 2nd gear at all times....they're always talking about turning the corner, having the most talented team they've ever had, etc. etc. but they're still lightyears behind a team of any substance.

While I will admit that the U.S. looked quite good at times...(Freddy Adu to Eddie Johnson should be a formidable duo in the future) they were outclassed by Spain from beginning to end.

It was obvious that Spain was using the U.S. as a sparring partner and were slowly wearing down the U.S. side. As much as I hate him, Sergio Ramos has more finesse and touch as a right back than any of the U.S's attackers (except maybe Landon Donovan on a good day)...that, in and of itself, is a testament to the Grand Canyon sized disparity in talent and experience.

With the move to Villareal, Jozy Altidore could give the U.S. that cold blooded finisher they so desperately need. But, he's going to be loaned out to Recreativo Huelva for the first year...which isn't a bad thing as they're still first division and play pretty well against the big dogs.

As for Bob Bradley...he's nothing special. His tactics and substitutions don't blow me away. Just think...if only Jurgen Klinsman had accepted the job. That would have been sweet.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I had Romania beating France. She is awesome!

My gawds, group C is the group of death. How are you supposed to make that choice? Paz Vega (Spain) vs. Eva Green (France) in the quarters? How unfair!

Again! Damnit. Doutzen Kroes of the Netherlands vs. Paz Vega.

Spain wins. But the Netherlands should have been runner-up.

b

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i havent seen freddy adu play in a long time, since his early 14 year old dc united days and i was surprised.

he has gotten a lot better, he looked confident with the ball and generally made smart decisions. playing overseas has done wonders for his game, he played really well yesterday and i think he was the one bright spot for the US team.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to Euro. I thought '04 was really entertaining. I'll be rooting for Spain and Croatia.

Re: US soccer... it's pretty sad overall. Yes, there are some good players, yes, there have been some good international wins in the last 10-15 years. And at the same time, the US has had the same weaknesses and the same penchant for mistakes in that time frame.

Simply put, player limitations/coaching strategy has been the same for too long. Defensive mindset, poor possession %, poor spacing, and relying almost exclusively on set pieces for anything resembling a goal. The US can't get over the hump, much less start dazzling, which would really bring an at-home audience.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I am looking forward to Euro. I thought '04 was really entertaining. I'll be rooting for Spain and Croatia.

Re: US soccer... it's pretty sad overall. Yes, there are some good players, yes, there have been some good international wins in the last 10-15 years. And at the same time, the US has had the same weaknesses and the same penchant for mistakes in that time frame.

Simply put, player limitations/coaching strategy has been the same for too long. Defensive mindset, poor possession %, poor spacing, and relying almost exclusively on set pieces for anything resembling a goal. The US can't get over the hump, much less start dazzling, which would really bring an at-home audience.

in 2002, the u.s. reached the quarter-finals of the world cup and outplayed germany in a match they could have, and should have, won. (the germans made an obvious handball that robbed the u.s. of a goal.) there are not that many countries that can say they've been to the quarters of a world cup.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
there are not that many countries that can say they've been to the quarters of a world cup.

I believe 38 can say that.

Of course, the U.S. can also say they've been to the semis, which 23 other teams can also say.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think C Ronaldo is making all the right moves to ensuring that no united fan misses him
smile.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
in 2002, the u.s. reached the quarter-finals of the world cup and outplayed germany in a match they could have, and should have, won. (the germans made an obvious handball that robbed the u.s. of a goal.) there are not that many countries that can say they've been to the quarters of a world cup.

I think that many US fans fear this was a real blip on the radar screen, never to be seen again--or at least for another 80 years or however long it took us since that semi-finals appearance.

I'm not sure I'm quite that cynical yet; I'd just like to see...well after my ranting and some actual thought, I'm not sure what I want to see aside from some wins over quality opponents.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Euro 2008 this weekend. Picks or predictions?

Saturday
Noon (est) Switzerland vs. Czech Republic on ESPN Classic

2:45 (est) Portugal vs. Turkey on ESPN Classic

Sunday
Noon (est) Austria vs. Croatia on ESPN2

2:45 (est) Germany vs. Poland on ESPN2.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Euro 2008 this weekend. Picks or predictions?

Saturday
Noon (est) Switzerland vs. Czech Republic on ESPN Classic

2:45 (est) Portugal vs. Turkey on ESPN Classic

Sunday
Noon (est) Austria vs. Croatia on ESPN2

2:45 (est) Germany vs. Poland on ESPN2.

Czech R.
Portugal
Draw
BRD

Here's a kick in the teeth: Adrian Mutu ordered to pay Chelsea $18.6 million for testing positive for coke in '04....

Juve rumored to be preparing 'super-bid' for Roma starlet Alberto Aquilani. I don't think there's a chance. He's giallorosso through and through, born and raised like Totti and DeRossi....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads