• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of TV altogether?

ThinkandDrive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bomber
The DVR was probably the best purchase overall.

I'm with you 100% on that one. I had a hard time convincing my wife that TiVo was something which would actually benefit us. We kept missing the first ten minutes of a show, or skipping an episode. We actually got one of the last TiVo models with a DVD burner on it PLUS a lifetime subscription, just before they stopped offering them.

We now have shows we definitely watch and no longer plop in front of the TV "to see what's on." It has the added benefit that I no longer know what networks have what shows at what time. I'm not beholden to their schedule any more.

We do have the set turned on in the morning for news and weather.

fftfft

Reaction score
I moved in to a very small apartment for graduate school 2 years ago and did not (more like couldn't afford) a new TV. I bought an eyetv hybrid (USB ATSC tuner) for my desktop computer which allows me to watch over the air HD signals. I pretty much just use it a few times a year for major sporting events. I acquire the few shows I do watch via other means.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TV is awesome. Don't know how people can do without it. Wouldn't want to try.

emptym

Reaction score
About 10 yrs ago I spent 6 months in the Philippines w/ no tv, no radio, no computer.

It helped me think, pray, read, write poetry. Most creative time of my life.

But I think it's like any kind of fasting: great temporarily, but not something I'd want to do for a lifetime.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I like to sleep with the TV on...I dont really know why, just always have.

Otherwise, I could basically live without it.

I only really watch stuff that I download anyhow - even the serials I get into such as Heroes, I download cos it will take another year before Vietnam airs them.

I suppose doing without TV also precludes DVDs though, which I do watch pretty regularly, and wouldnt want to confine to the 14.1 inch display of my laptop, especially since I mostly watch them with my gf, and huddled around my screen isnt really ideal for that.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or is it? if a tree falls and noone is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
The internet is 10x worse than television

Yes, but sadly I think my life would be a bit worse without it.

As for a TV, I have not had one since I started boarding school which was about 8 years ago. Its more fun to watch the good TV shows on DVD.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I like to sleep with the TV on...I dont really know why, just always have. Otherwise, I could basically live without it. I only really watch stuff that I download anyhow - even the serials I get into such as Heroes, I download cos it will take another year before Vietnam airs them. I suppose doing without TV also precludes DVDs though, which I do watch pretty regularly, and wouldnt want to confine to the 14.1 inch display of my laptop, especially since I mostly watch them with my gf, and huddled around my screen isnt really ideal for that.
Originally Posted by odoreater
By the way, watching tv on your computer is still watching tv.
DVDs don't count.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
By the way, watching tv on your computer is still watching tv.
The way I read it, Jon is asking whether not purchasing a TV (as in the set) when he moves negatively impacts his life. I am kinda reading this as a practical question of 'do I have to put a TV on my shopping list when I move' rather than a quasi-philosophical discussion about the delivery medium of televised programming. Given that he will still have his computer, he will be able to download various shows and watch them without a trip to the TV department at Circuit City.
Originally Posted by caelte
DVDs don't count.
but if he is saying he is simply not going to buy a TV when he moves north, then other than huddling around his PC (or using a projector)...then DVDs are out too. Baby goes with bathwater there.

Laffertron

Reaction score
I've gone without the TV before, and I've found the best way to use television is to pick a few shows a week that you really want to watch and only turn on the TV to watch them, then turn it straight off. Discipline is the key to enjoying it otherwise you find yourself wallowing in your own laziness sitting in front of the box getting raped in the mind by wave after wave of ****** shows.

bomber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
I've gone without the TV before, and I've found the best way to use television is to pick a few shows a week that you really want to watch and only turn on the TV to watch them, then turn it straight off. Discipline is the key to enjoying it otherwise you find yourself wallowing in your own laziness sitting in front of the box getting raped in the mind by wave after wave of ****** shows.

I agree...but I still stick to the DVR argument so those 3-4 shows a week that I really want to watch are recorded and I don't have to care about schedules or anything.

The added benefit of course is that 30 minute shows only take 20 minutes to watch because I get to skip all the commercials
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics