• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent with weights in them?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I picked up 2 cashmere blazers made by Brioni and are of very recent vintage.
Both are 100% cashmere, and when I investigated what makes these babies tick....I found a round weight in both sides of the main flap of the vents (the middle section that sits over the vent on both sides).
Is this common?
If so, can I have a tailor add these to other items?
Is this common in Brioni?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might have been owned by somebody who habitually packs a gun. Putting a weight in the hem of the jacket makes it easier to sweep the jacket back to access the gun. It's an old gunfighter's trick.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I should start packing heat?
I mean beyond what I pack in the pants.

MichaelE

Reaction score
Illinois does not have a concealed carry (CCW) law.

Carry at your own risk, and if you're in Chicago, lotsa luck. Don't get caught.

Many would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six, but that's up to you.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
Illinois does not have a concealed carry (CCW) law.

Carry at your own risk, and if you're in Chicago, lotsa luck. Don't get caught.

Many would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six, but that's up to you.

People who say that are usually involved in crime.

MichaelE

Reaction score
And if an armed criminal somehow gets involved with you on the street, in your home, or your business, I guess you're just **** out of luck that you would rather not defend yourself.

When seconds count the police are just minutes away. Call 911 after the attack if you're able.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I just love internet tough guys.
You wouldn't dare say that to my face. I know Krab Magoo and an ex-Navy SEAL taught me how to kill a man using only my spleen and a belt buckle.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
You wouldn't dare say that to my face. I know Krab Magoo and an ex-Navy SEAL taught me how to kill a man using only my spleen and a belt buckle.

the real question is the make of buckle. Because that Henco En Mexico stuff aint going to cut it. If its not made in italy not even bother trying. I hear Belvest makes the buckles for the US navy, but obviously doesn't include the RN number.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
The only people that need to get involved in gun fights are

1. Police
2. criminals

Your average person is more likely to shoot themself or their wife than anyone else.

Years ago when I first starting getting involved in internet fora/discussion groups I was horrified to discover that otherwise perfectly respectable Americans went to work with a concealed gun.

I still haven't figure out how "the right to bear arms" doesn't include machine guns and bazookas. Heck, why not go to work in a tank?

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Years ago when I first starting getting involved in internet fora/discussion groups I was horrified to discover that otherwise perfectly respectable Americans went to work with a concealed gun.

I still haven't figure out how "the right to bear arms" doesn't include machine guns and bazookas. Heck, why not go to work in a tank?

It is very strange. I know lots of entirely respectable people who are absolutely wedded to them. Whenever you question their logic they either talk about the right to bear arms or the need to defend themselves against attack. Of course every so often some outrage occurs where people are murdered in their homes by intruders and this is allegedly why folks need guns. No matter that some of these outrages occur where people actually have guns to defend themselves. I seem to recall there are about 25,000 or so gun deaths a year in the US of which about 12,000 are homicides, there's a similar number of suicides and about 5000 "accidents" quite often involving kids who of course know exactly where dad has hidden the shooter if he's even taken the trouble to do so. It's one of those situations where the cure is worse than the disease. Scarcely a week goes by without some new mass shooting, post offices are very popular for some reason, but even the most egregious like that at VA tech seem to have little impact. Politicians and pundit mouth the usual bs and then it on to Dancing with the Stars. But then we are living in country where about 40% apparently believes in alien abduction so it's not very surprising they see no connection between an estimated firearms population of 200 million plus and firearms death rates hundreds or thousands of time greater than those to be found in any other western country.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many "men" have such feminine sensibilities when it comes to tools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads