• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Words that are annoying

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
close the deal

big fan of this one in a social setting i.e. saw you leave with that cute girl...did you close/seal the deal?
laugh.gif

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I am particularly irritated by "to grow" when used in a sentence such as "We plan to grow our business by 30% this year."

What's wrong with saying "increase", for example?
Using "grow" in the sense of "grow the firm" not only sounds awkward, it also seems to have pervaded virtually all corporate press releases that I read nowadays.

What about build? I like build.

I always hated grow when I was working for a small .com back in 2000. But I thought all companies that used words like 'grow' all fell apart during the .com crash when the rest of the world realized that a .com company didn't do anything other than come up with stupid buzz words?

I also hate leverage. It puts me in mind of some wanker trying to take advantage of something without having to do any work.

"We're going to grow the business by synergising our marketing and customer service departments and leverage that against the current customer culture." - Sound like a total tosser.

"We are going to build the business by increasing communication and sharing business processes between the marketing and customer service department. We will then be able to attract and keep more customers." - Sounds like you know what the hell you're on about.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Action Item. As in, will you own this action item?
It doesn't annoy me that much but I wonder why "task" or "job" aren't good enough.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I do it because, sometimes, there is just no better way to say things, and I know that a judge will understand what I mean. For example, from a brief I wrote recently: "these recent violations are simply the latest in a long list of violations, to wit,[lists the rest of the violations]..."

Try "these violations are simply the latest in a long list: violation 1, violation 2, violation 3 etc."

If you ever get a chance, take a legal writing CLE course taught by Bryan Garner, editor of Black's Law Dictionary and author of "Legal Writing In Plain English". He also recently co-authored a book on advocacy with Justice Scalia. His web site is http://www.lawprose.org/ . Highly recommended.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
"Core competency" bugs me to no end.

My job is to translate and proofread corporatese bullshit like "We will enhance our customer service capabilities by leveraging our core competencies to provide dymanic solutions for business in today's increasingly globalized marketplace."

Then there's "debottlenecking." Whoever coined that deserves his own special corner of hell.

"We achieved a 20% increase in production capacity through debottlenecking of our processing facilities in the latter half of fiscal 2007."

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Then there's "debottlenecking." Whoever coined that deserves his own special corner of hell.

Wow, that's a new one for me. "Debottlenecking " strikes me as especially insidious.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow, that's a new one for me. "Debottlenecking " strikes me as especially insidious.

The amazing thing is that other editors I have worked with go to extraordinary lengths to skirt this ugly buzzword, like "eliminated bottlenecks," but corporate busybodies always change it back to "debottlenecking."

tundrafour

Reaction score
Buzzwords suck. They suck even more when someone throws some casual-sounds words in the mix in an attempt sound like they're down to earth despite their inability to say anything concretely. "I'm going to take a minute to speak to leveraging extrapolation of some high-level metrics. That cool, bro?" Yeah. It's cool.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
The amazing thing is that other editors I have worked with go to extraordinary lengths to skirt this ugly buzzword, like "eliminated bottlenecks," but corporate busybodies always change it back to "debottlenecking."

Bottlenecking, alone, deserves to be on the list of annoying buzzwords.

Also on the list: trad.

Gipper40

Reaction score
and the use of "task" as a verb: "...Jack...do you know how a big a deal it is to re-task a satellite"?

Toad

Reaction score
Another thing that annoys me is seeing ridiculous words on people's resume. I do not want to see how you "spearheaded" something. Be formal, but you don't have to use words that you never hear in real life. Be human.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads