• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P90x

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy_00
The 40s you won't need...I would go 10, 20 and 25...

Also, depending on your flexbility, a yoga block would be a good idea. Same w/
a yoga mat.

I purchased a doorframe chin up bar (not from P90X) that works fine --

R

Thank you sir.

sweisman

Reaction score
I have done about 4 weeks of this program. Only the exercises...I have not used the P90x supplements and I eat pretty clean to begin with. First and foremost you have to be in pretty good shape to do this. As everyone has said the workouts are long and quick paced. My main recommendation is to start slow. If you can do 30 pushups but will have a hard time doing 30 again 5 minutes later, after having just done 10 pull ups then start with 15-20. For chest/back workouts you will be doing 5-6 different types of push ups, with pull ups and chin ups in between each set. Just take it slow the first time you do each cd to get a feel for it and over time you will see results.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use the videos to supplement my cardio routine. It's good for that.

As for the workouts being long, I'd point out that there's like 25-30 minutes of stretching/warm-ups/cool-downs at the beginning and end. You could skip some of that if you want.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting for my chin up bar to come in, I decided to give the plyoX workout a try yesterday.

Holy soreness today. The workout itself wasn't bad but I'd say for the 25 minutes, I was only able to keep up with them for 20 secs of every 30 secs exercise.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump - I think the hardest workout I've done so far is the Ab Ripper one!

That **** is crazy!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point of the program is muscle confusion. I've been going to the gym off and on (mostly on) for the past 15 years and my body hit a plateau after college, but I still do the same basic routine of running on the treadmill and lifting weights. Some times I change it up going heavy for several weeks and then higher volume after that. But still no changes. I guess p90x is suppose to change that. I'd consider it, but 1 hour a day? I'm too lazy for that.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I think the point of the program is muscle confusion. I've been going to the gym off and on (mostly on) for the past 15 years and my body hit a plateau after college, but I still do the same basic routine of running on the treadmill and lifting weights. Some times I change it up going heavy for several weeks and then higher volume after that. But still no changes. I guess p90x is suppose to change that. I'd consider it, but 1 hour a day? I'm too lazy for that.

Where's why when we need him?
devil.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

I was pretty much in the same boat as you - been lifting for years, been doing different routines here and there plus cardio, etc.

What I REALLY like about P90X is that 1) it's more than just resistance training - there's plyometrics, core conditioning, yoga, etc and 2) it feels more geared towards being a better athlete rather than just being a bodybuilder (for lack of a better description).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ CrossFit is free, for the most part...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this program correctly, it seems like it's geared towards people who are already fairly athletic. It'll put them through a fairly intense circuit/plyo/kitchen sink program to cut off some fat. If that's what you want to do, then, as whacked just noted ^, don't shell out for someone's prepackaged program. Just go do Crossfit or something. Or look up some of Alwyn Cosgrove's stuff. Or do some research and write a program yourself.

If your lifts have stalled and you want to make some progress, google "Madcow's 5x5." Plug your numbers in, and milk it until it stops working.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
If I'm understanding this program correctly, it seems like it's geared towards people who are already fairly athletic. It'll put them through a fairly intense circuit/plyo/kitchen sink program to cut off some fat. If that's what you want to do, then, as whacked just noted ^, don't shell out for someone's prepackaged program. Just go do Crossfit or something. Or look up some of Alwyn Cosgrove's stuff. Or do some research and write a program yourself.

If your lifts have stalled and you want to make some progress, google "Madcow's 5x5." Plug your numbers in, and milk it until it stops working.

Not sure what "Crossfit" is, but having the DVDs is suppose to keep you motivated, to stay on track and to teach you additional exercises I'm sure you're not familiar with (for example proper way to do plyometrics, which I never do despite having worked out for 15 years and how to incorporate it into the overall routine). It's easy to say "why should I fork over more dough (than what I already spend on gym membership) when I can do a similar program for free"? 95 out of 100 times this will fail without any guidance.

Of course you can look up any new program for free on the web and cobble some routine together, but the point of paying is so you have someone with more experience doing it for you (presumably).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads