• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of this whole scene/look?

ABALO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Says the person with a banana hammock and pink wife beater as your avatar.

Yeah, precisely...

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The histrionics on this thread are a bit much. Some of us cattily/half-jokingly called some people wearing madras and **** douchebags, which a. is nowadays more of a comedic than mean-spirited insult and which b. is the sort of criticism they had to know they were opening themselves up for.

Then, all of the sudden, it's like we're in colonial Jamestown and people are slapping each other with their fuckin' gloves and preparing to duel for Southern honor or to prove the immorality of the great American satan.

Let's just try to keep things in perspective.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Memphis
I like the girls
smile.gif

Madison

Perfect if you're looking for a trophy wife.
Originally Posted by Capital Club Member
We're starting a breeding program. We're going to maintain the blue-blood line.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Madison

Perfect if you're looking for a trophy wife.

A fun read. This part is just hillarious:
Savodnik was astonished by the reaction -- more than any other article he has written for the newspaper. His phone rang off the hook; he asked callers their names and political affiliation. 'The Republicans -- almost to a person -- thought it was great,' he remembers. 'The men wanted the women's numbers, the women wanted to join. The Democrats, by contrast, were merciless. They were repulsed by what they viewed as the objectification, and it struck them as grossly homogenous and conservative.'

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

Yeah, that's priceless.

I like Wonkette's comment: "'Washington is high school with nuclear weapons and a trillion-dollar budget,' says Cox, the self-appointed Class Snark."

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I like Wonkette's comment: "'Washington is high school with nuclear weapons and a trillion-dollar budget,' says Cox, the self-appointed Class Snark."

Rarely does one read something that simultaneously funny and chilling.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
It's amazing how a group of neo-Trad dressers can get panned on a website forum that recognizes all the wonderful elements of what they are attempting.

Heaven help us if bow ties, seersucker, madras, etc. becomes fashion faux-paus.

We should spend more time berating the AmJack wearers.

+1. You guys need to chill out. I am sure some of these guys are assholes just like the people highlighted in the Washington City Paper are assholes. But so what? That's just part of the DC culture. There are just as many assholes in any city, they just happen to dress differently.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
Agree entirely. A lot of posters on this topic doth protest too much. I for one would rather attend a horse race with men wearing madras sportscoats and women with too much makeup than attend a street party with men wearing t-shirts and women in halter tops. I was never one to accept the argument that if you oppose something you are secretly attracted to it (eg homosexuality), but reading these posts makes me wonder if some Style Forum members are still bitter about rejection from a fraternity twenty years ago.

+1. For once Artisan Fran and I agree on something. My frat in college dressed like this. I was "one of these guys". So what?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
There are just as many assholes in any city, they just happen to dress differently.

And they get called out too. Read one of the clubwear threads in SW&D.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
And they get called out too. Read one of the clubwear threads in SW&D.

Personally- I don't think these guys are all that badly dressed. If iammatt took a picture of himself wearing the same clothes in his house you would all be saying he looked good.

The only real gripe I have with these guys is the stupid sunglasses "chums" that are so 1995.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Democrats are usually no fun to be around...always bitching or complaining about something. Chasing the next greatest cause instead of the next greatest piece of ass and what not...

Let the flames begin...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Democrats are usually no fun to be around...always bitching or complaining about something. Chasing the next greatest cause instead of the next greatest piece of ass and what not...

Let the flames begin...

I always thought that the Democrat party was fun, and the Republican after-party was funner.

drake

Reaction score
The party of family values indeed.

Originally Posted by whnay.

Let the flames begin...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
It just looks like they read about what a gentleman's club is and then decided to do some playacting dress-up for fun.

peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPX99